• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movies to hit home viewing 3 weeks after release at theaters??

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope there is some credence to this and it happens.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/1/15...heaters-denial-virtual-reality-cinemacon-2017

Now I likely would never go to a theater again. I do actually think after the ad blitz that accompanies releases quick release for home streaming would considerably enhance their revenue.

And to think I remember growing up a movie's success was how long it stayed at theaters. As long as people came they kept showing it. American Graffiti stayed around for more than 18 months, and Star Wars a bit over one year in my locale.

Now big build up for months, media blitz for release, and if it has not cleaned up in two weeks it never will. Even some of the most popular are gone within a month. So skipping right over to streaming while the iron is still hot might be a money maker for these guys all things considered.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is what the movie studios need to do but don't have the courage to do so in the face of objection from theater owners. The demand for a movie is greatest after millions of dollars spent promoting the new movies. Waiting 3 to 6 months to roll it out to home theater means a lot of that is lost.

Theater owners have their head in the sand. Instead of just objecting, they should allow the move and get a cut from the premium for early release.

I am not expecting a change any time soon and certainly not within 3 week window.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Oh.

There's a brand new theatre setup near me now. XScape 14. I'll go sometime.

Maybe after I go to the Bowling Alley, since that's been on my list of things to do like forever.

GREGGERY:
Ain't your life boring, don'tcha think?
STENOGRAPHERS:
Yoop, yoop, yoop, yoop, yoop, yoop, yoop
GREGGERY:
Life is so much better
When there's some little something to do!
NARRATOR:
Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you, hmm?
GREGGERY:
I must plummet boldly forward to my ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk,
with the strategically-placed, imported, very hip water pipe, and the latest edition of the Whole Earth Catalogue,
and rack my agile mind for a spectacular new trend, thereby rejuvenating our limping economy,
and providing for bored & miserable people everywhere some great new thing to identify with! - the Adventures of Greggery Peccary (1978)

upload_2017-4-5_1-0-56.png

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is what the movie studios need to do but don't have the courage to do so in the face of objection from theater owners. The demand for a movie is greatest after millions of dollars spent promoting the new movies. Waiting 3 to 6 months to roll it out to home theater means a lot of that is lost.

Theater owners have their head in the sand. Instead of just objecting, they should allow the move and get a cut from the premium for early release.

I am not expecting a change any time soon and certainly not within 3 week window.
The article said six of seven Hollywood studios were in negotiation to do this. I was surprised and have thought it a smart thing for them or some up and coming studio to do. I do agree I think it is a long shot until I see it, but I am glad to it being discussed by the studios.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This was my theater when I was a kid:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.514...2nqsTNYe-3PrIQ!2e0!3e2!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

The new ones just don't have the same cachet.

That is near where I grew up too. I have been there many times. A grand old movie palace. Fortunate that it is still there. I saw Bambi there, Snow White, Cinderella and some other Disney movies, I think I saw the second Planet of the Apes movie there. Saw Gone with the Wind there. Saw the Agony and the Ecstasy there as well as the Ten Commandments. The last movie I think I viewed there was Romeo and Juliet by ‎Franco Zeffirelli sometime in the mid 70s. At least until it was reopened later for special presentations and concerts. My worst experience was when my Mom desperately wanted to see a double feature of Valley of the Dolls and Love story. My dad took her, no one to stay with me so I had to go. I was too young for R rated movies which those were. I was tall for my age so they slipped me in. I was miserable for hours. Got some popcorn and went to the balcony until the torture ended. Now I would be trying to look older still, but in this case angling for a senior citizens discount.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh.

There's a brand new theatre setup near me now. XScape 14. I'll go sometime.

Maybe after I go to the Bowling Alley, since that's been on my list of things to do like forever.

GREGGERY:
Ain't your life boring, don'tcha think?
STENOGRAPHERS:
Yoop, yoop, yoop, yoop, yoop, yoop, yoop
GREGGERY:
Life is so much better
When there's some little something to do!
NARRATOR:
Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you, hmm?
GREGGERY:
I must plummet boldly forward to my ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk,
with the strategically-placed, imported, very hip water pipe, and the latest edition of the Whole Earth Catalogue,
and rack my agile mind for a spectacular new trend, thereby rejuvenating our limping economy,
and providing for bored & miserable people everywhere some great new thing to identify with! - the Adventures of Greggery Peccary (1978)

View attachment 5968

You have to consider all sides Ray. If they were showing Valley of the Dolls and Love Story back when and had 14 theaters I could have slipped into a different movie. Would have been so much better than at the Alabama.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just outside of Bessemer in a place called Eastern Valley.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Bessemer.

I rented the top of the house that used to be to the left of this one for $30/month in 1973/74. Same style house. The bathrrom window overlooked the churchyard.

It was pretty sparse, I used the water heater for heat. No AC, but it had a big cast iron tub.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Bessemer.

I rented the top of the house that used to be to the left of this one for $30/month in 1973/74. Same style house. The bathrrom window overlooked the churchyard.

It was pretty sparse, I used the water heater for heat. No AC, but it had a big cast iron tub.

Well well small world. There near the courthouse and city hall with the telephone switching office down on the corner. Was born at the Bessemer General hospital which was probably still across the block in 1973. So you were there when they had those goofy traffic lights that had red, green and no stinking yellow.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This was my theater when I was a kid:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.514...2nqsTNYe-3PrIQ!2e0!3e2!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

The new ones just don't have the same cachet.
Nice! I watched many movies as a kid at the Chicago Theater and at the half dozen other just as palacios within the 8 block downtown loop area. Sadly all gone now accept for the restored Chicago, used today for concerts and various stage shows.
I would hope that the early releasing of new films to streaming, etc; wouldn't put the nails in the coffin of the cinemas we still have? If you have a $200,000 dedicated home theater I guess they won't be missed, but I enjoy seeing the latest blockbusters on the SOTA screens around such as IMAX, etc. Without them 99+% of today's youth will never have the opportunity to see these films as they were intended. :(

shutterstock_871281792.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I think they should give people a copy of the movie on blu-ray when they buy a ticket.
A 50% off deal on the disc's purchase would be a great idea Good for both sides!

Top Bottom