• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loudness War

TBone

Major Contributor
The compression statement is kind of like sex. Not all sex is good, I've been with some chicks that, OH I guess I won't go there. LOL

If -go.there- was in any way "scientific", its fair game here.

I don't own any of Hoffmans classic rock reissues but a 2db loss to gain a notable improvement in the general mastering would be a small but worthwild tradeoff.

Currently listening to Eagles GH.
DCC DR10/11/11/9/11/11/11/10/11/11
E2-60511 DR9/9/8/7/9/9/10/8/10/9

Hate my vinyl copy, too compressed and bass bloated. The Electra remaster (60511) shares the bass bloat, the DCC is my fav.

Also listening to Paul McCartney/Wings Red Rose Speedway ... been a really long time, seems like a strange mix, but I have nothing to compare.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Back in the days of the pyramids, when vinyl was king, we felt that the DR of the LP's of the day were too dynamically compressed. Ripped files of such that I now measure to run in the DR13-15 range. LOL
In the day I ran a Phase Linear 1000 Autocorolator-DR Recovery system which I enjoyed giving my LP's more dynamic punch as well as reducing surface noise and controlling subsonic issues from rumble, wow, warping, etc. When properly adjusted it did it's job very well over all with little negative impact back then.
A nifty little accessory from the genius of Bob Carver that I enjoyed using for a long time till the birth of CD.
Let the flames begin. :p

TBone

Major Contributor
There is much more to remastering than compression, particularly The Beatles remasters, which are not overly compressed. I have all three versions - the original CDs, the stereo remasters and the mono remasters. The originals are not the "best" IMO.

Tim

... soon, very, I'll be able to snatch a few more original Beatles CD to compare, currently I only have the aforementioned Abbey Road, both American & Japanese first pressings. The chap who supplied me these particular early pressings suggested that Abbey R(& only the Jap version) as the only worthwhile original to offer, so I'll see ...

Last edited:

TBone

Major Contributor
I enjoyed the Barry Diamet Zeppelin album I bought... Natural dynamics and a very rewarding listen.

He has quite the good rep/catalog, I don't have all that many of his, but the few I have are excellent. His Bob Marley pressing(s?) is esp. superb.

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
... soon, very, I'll be able to snatch a few more original Beatles CD to compare, currently I only have the aforementioned Abbey Road, both American & Japanese first pressings. The chap who supplied me these particular early pressings suggested that Abbey R(& only the Jap version) as the only worthwhile original to offer, so I'll see ...

It is the best of the early batch.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The topic is Loudness War.

Who won?

upload_2016-4-16_15-56-32.png

Oddly, Kevin Drumm has an entry at the other end of the list, too.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The topic is Loudness War.

Who won?
Oddly, Kevin Drumm has an entry at the other end of the list, too.
Dang, I never thought to look at the database like that.
OMG, the music from hell, Is this the end result of Black Sabbath?

fas42

Major Contributor

GaryProtein

Streaming is the modern version of "listening to the radio" and a lot of that is done in "hostile' listening environments or as background music where a constant volume is desired. In my office, all my music is on iTunes and it is a mixture of classical, broadway and jazz. I use a Symmetrix 422 auto gain leveler to keep the volume the same so there aren't big differences between loud and soft passages of music. It's necessary so you can hear the soft passages and not be jolted out of your chair when a crescendo arrives. That could be very bad when making a smooth incision! The thing is I control my own music. I would never use such a device at home when listening to music that I wanted to sound real and unprocessed. I would however use compression for background music at a quiet gathering of friends.

As Amir said, the compression must be user controllable. Sometimes you want it other times you do not.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
GTxV5eJ.jpg

Top Bottom