• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL SDP-55 Audio/Video Processor Review

abhijitnath

I had a question that I wasn't sure has been answered. Does Dante work with hdcp sources ie can i put in a Blu Ray and have the outputs go through room correction etc in an sdp, out through to a multichannel dac and to an amp?

Mr.XO

Did you receive it yet? Costco is currently selling the TSR-700, which is their version of it, for $400. Online and in store.

https://www.costco.com/yamaha-tsr-700-7.2-channel-network-av-receiver.product.100686465.html

Picked up one of these on a recent trip to Costco to give it a shot... Thx to the WAF on these new models... :)
Good one at the price for a backup receiver / otherwise mainly for 2 ch mode use in the lounge.

So connected it to my current HT setup driven by a new Marantz SR7013, and this is what I noticed and a bit surprised about.
For the same tracks, both AVRs in Pure Direct mode, the vocals from the Yammy always stood out - just stronger / fuller / crisper.
Have taken breaks and confirmed this multiple times at different volume levels.
So, Is that a Yammy thing...?

Now it does seem to have its own set of bugs currently, e.g., Musicast with Amazon Music keeps breaking and stopping right in the middle while playing tracks, also the track switching / loading times are high... was wired in and not over wifi.

That being said, there are some good things, like the fact that the Amz interfacing through Musicast lets you access your custom playlists, etc., under the MyMusic tab - more brand specific than receiver specific. This is something I really wish the HEOS app supported - was of the impression that the limitation was due to an amazon issue that SU could not get past.

Anyways... can't wait to see the RX-V6A reviewed here... go @amirm!

Attachments

• Yammy_tsr700_mc_amzmuzhd_1.jpg
    Yammy_tsr700_mc_amzmuzhd_1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Yammy_tsr700_mc_amzmuzhd_2.jpg
    Yammy_tsr700_mc_amzmuzhd_2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Vivek

Forum Donor
At this price, I would have beheaded and decapitated the panther that has his arm inside a piggy bank. Why can't someone make a pure Dobly/DTS decoder and leave the rest to us?
Well probably Trinnovs and Lyngdorffs do or do they?

Stephan

Quick question. With HDCP the Dante output is limited to 16 bit, 48kHz isn't it? What about *cough, cough* removed copy protection? Is it able to output more than 16 bit?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well probably Trinnovs and Lyngdorffs do or do they?
The Lyngdorf tdai 3400 was bench tested here, and it did ok but not sure I would expect the processors to do better.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Quick question. With HDCP the Dante output is limited to 16 bit, 48kHz isn't it? What about *cough, cough* removed copy protection? Is it able to output more than 16 bit?
It is supposed to have that limit. Whether it enforces that or not, we don't know. Traditionally "professional interfaces/products" were exempt from such restrictions although there is no specific provision in HDCP for it.

Krobar

It is supposed to have that limit. Whether it enforces that or not, we don't know. Traditionally "professional interfaces/products" were exempt from such restrictions although there is no specific provision in HDCP for it.

I believe the SDP-55 operates at 24/48 but not sure if that is with or without HDCP. There are still some issues with Dante on the SDP-55 although apparently most of them will likely be fixed in a firmware due in the next three weeks:
JBL Synthesis SDP-55 (16ch, 9.1.6 Atmos Surround Sound Processor) | Page 193 | AVS Forum

Stephan

Many thanks. I'll keep an eye on that AVS thread and may ask again there. Having Dante with 24/48 in the SDP-55 would be a huge plus point for me and I'd probably grab one for my living room system. I don't need the integrated room correction, just decoding and 1:1 digital out would be enough.

Tom C

Major Contributor
So, 12 pages for me is TL;DR. Sorry if this has been stated already. But I’d like to say that when I spend more money for an audio product, I expect either lower distortion, higher output, or both. Bling and usability are nice too, but secondary for me.
This unit gives significantly higher output for the same (or at least very similar) distortion levels as the best known, measured alternatives that are lower priced. Plus, you get XLR out and Dirac. Those are not minor differences. $6,000 vs $1,000 is a large difference to justify, so I guess that’s the reason for luke-warm panther reaction, but I’m actually thinking about replacing my Denon X3600H (bought less than a year ago based on Amir’s review here) with this unit, hoping to drive JBL 708P and 705P a bit better. SPL right now is usually fine, but just a little weak, at times...

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So, 12 pages for me is TL;DR. Sorry if this has been stated already. But I’d like to say that when I spend more money for an audio product, I expect either lower distortion, higher output, or both. Bling and usability are nice too, but secondary for me.
This unit gives significantly higher output for the same (or at least very similar) distortion levels as the best known, measured alternatives that are lower priced. Plus, you get XLR out and Dirac. Those are not minor differences. $6,000 vs $1,000 is a large difference to justify, so I guess that’s the reason for luke-warm panther reaction, but I’m actually thinking about replacing my Denon X3600H (bought less than a year ago based on Amir’s review here) with this unit, hoping to drive JBL 708P and 705P a bit better. SPL right now is usually fine, but just a little weak, at times...
There aren’t any amps in this unit, so keep the X3600H to power your speakers (assuming the X3600H has inputs from a pre-pro), unless you have another amp in mind.

Newman

Major Contributor
It would be very rare for an AVR to have inputs from a pre-pro (straight to the power amp section). You would have to connect to the multichannel analog line level inputs, which then go through the AVR just like any other input.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Ummm...705p and 708p are self powered. I’m not using the power amp section of the AVR right now.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There aren’t any amps in this unit, so keep the X3600H to power your speakers (assuming the X3600H has inputs from a pre-pro), unless you have another amp in mind.
His speakers are active i-e with their own amplifiers.

HTNut1975

Forum Donor

I own this unit and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The trick will be to find a good dealer who can give you a good price below msrp. Since it already comes with DLBC, that's an additional 500 bucks worth of Dirac upgrades that it comes with (and, any additional upgrade that Dirac furnishes in the near future will be free with this unit, so that is also something to consider). I don't know what the market is for these at the moment, especially with inventory issues from COVID, so that is also something to consider. I would definitely shop around to get a few different price quotes as well.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As far as I know this thing still has many bugs(list is up-to-date with newest firmware), so make sure they don't impact your planned use. For example, Dante still doesn't work properly(ticking noises).

If you're not planning to use Dante and don't care about Logic16 or an OSD, the HTP-1 offers a less buggy software experience, IMO.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Yes, Amir did seem pretty discouraged by the problems he ran into. Ruined his day. Problems like that can suck the life out of you.

Krobar

As far as I know this thing still has many bugs(list is up-to-date with newest firmware), so make sure they don't impact your planned use. For example, Dante still doesn't work properly(ticking noises).

If you're not planning to use Dante and don't care about Logic16 or an OSD, the HTP-1 offers a less buggy software experience, IMO.

I'm beginning to think not. The HTP-1 thread does not collect an organised list of bugs and plenty of bugs seem to be known and although acknowledged not collected together.

Andysu

Major Contributor
£6 grand for 16 channels? My multi-mode CB radios cost far less and have 200 channels. I like JBL only JBL cinema speakers for once upon time cinemas, as cinemas now are all slowly going bankrupt one by one.
Never liked JBL Synthesis, seems bit snobby brand for me. The older JBL Synthesis on ebay some trying for few grand and they just sit on ebay cos no one wants it.
I still think I was under the influence of Alien abduction when I brought that Denon Lemon AVC-X8500H for the lack of sound formats it has and no THX on a denon? It only has liemax to offer and I will never buy a 4k liemax, disc to run liemax in my home. All I wanted was a new LCD or Oled to be happy with my Onkyo TX SR-875 THX ultra, as I didn't care for Dolby Atmos upgrading and what a mistake Dolby Atmos is such a con. Yeah flipping Onkyo wasn't happy with the new tv, cos of these blasted encoding on the HDMI it wouldn't handshake in 1080p, forcing me to buy a new AVR that I didn't care for.

Top Bottom