• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL M2 versus 4367 Shootout

fas42

Major Contributor
No-one would want to listen to any of my gear for "visual reasons", :p ... the setup always looks like shite, a mess, because what counts for me is the sound - and it always in a state ready to be fiddled with. So, don't expect to crack a fat from seeing any of my efforts ...:).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If someone says they like how the JBLs looks, I simply don't believe them even though that's their opinion. :)
I've expressed a appreciation for the JBL's appearance and have no money in the game to influence me.
So that brings me to wonder what designs you do like dallas? Some modern art expressions like the Kii's or a multi-faceted thing like the Beolabs. the avant garde style Giya's?
I'll take a beautiful piece of warm classic wood any time, it's been used for centuries in the construction of home items and I'd bet still will be long after todays modern art stuff has become a passe joke. ;)
(Threads moderated as I viewed them as possibly unintentionally hurtful in hindsight.)

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It cracked me up when arse kissers said how good looking your JBL'S were on forums ( mentioning no names :D)
Thomas, tell the truth now, your wife made you buy the G3's didn't she. :p
g3.jpg

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
image.png
I like Vivid and Estelon speakers. They also sound great. I think Tidal speakers are awesome looking and the huge KEF Muon is unbelievable. I saw a pair at CEDIA last year but it was only static display.

To me, the Muon looks pretty dangerous. Any huge speaker without a low/wide center of gravity is just asking for trouble around children.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
image.jpeg
image.png
And now some truly ugly speakers. It's unfortunate for Nola that only one of these is a picture of an Internet DIY speaker kit. :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Is speaker's design important? ...In addition to good performance
A stunning set of Klipsch!
Also the new Thiel TT1's, so many new designs showcasing the woodworkers art.
Dallas, maybe if you crafted a grill cloth for the horns like my LaScala's they might grow on you more. :D
TT1-Rosewood.jpg

KlipschLaScala023.jpeg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Is speaker's design important? ...In addition to good performane
In true NorthSky fashion---;)
"Out of the mouth of Plenty's horn
Are there better loudspeakers for $20,000/pair than the Klipsch Palladium P-39F? Possibly—I haven't heard every one of them yet. (Give me time and I'll certainly try.) What I can tell you is that the P-39F surprised me with its balance, lively sound, and ungimmicky naturalness. It's well built and, I think, really good-looking. If, like me, you think you know what a horn speaker sounds like, the P-39F just might astound you. It certainly astounded me. It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."

Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/klipsch-palladium-p-39f-loudspeaker-page-2#2tZVplS3Lg4hdQwu.99

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
And the best looking photo of the TT1
image.png
Dallas, maybe if you crafted a grill cloth for the horns like my LaScala's they might grow on you more. :D
TT1-Rosewood.jpg

View attachment 2454

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Linkwitz are hideous. If I went with them I'd have to fabricate some sort of sock for the top part.

vandersteen_model5.jpg

Phelonious Ponk

I've expressed a appreciation for the JBL's appearance and have no money in the game to influence me.
So that brings me to wonder what designs you do like dallas? Some modern art expressions like the Kii's or a multi-faceted thing like the Beolabs. the avant garde style Giya's?
I'll take a beautiful piece of warm classic wood any time, it's been used for centuries in the construction of home items and I'd bet still will be long after todays modern art stuff has become a passe joke. ;)
(Threads moderated as I viewed them as possibly unintentionally hurtful in hindsight.)

I think the M2s are better-looking than the 4367s, but I don't mind the 4367s at all. Maybe all those years with PA systems. Maybe it's because my audio journey began with a pair of Altec Lansings.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

TT1-Rosewood.jpg

View attachment 2454

Boy that brings back memories. Years ago, I owned a pair of LaScalas built for PA. Looked just like those...well except instead of the veneer, my plywood was painted flat black.

Tim

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I think the appearance of both the 4367 and the M2 are fine.

Businesslike, form follows function, all of that.

They are what they are.

hvbias

The blue color baffle of some JBLs has been used for a while. I see it now and then in pictures of Japanese audiophile listening rooms, I like those sort of old school touches. Since they are part of the high end Synthesis line IMHO they could have offered premium veneer.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Thomas, tell the truth now, your wife made you buy the G3's didn't she. :p
View attachment 2451
In the flesh they look really nice though form follows function with the giyas ..you won't be surprised to hear last week a giant leprechaun came knocking asking for his shoes back :D

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
To me all JBL speakers should be in-walls. ...Where they are covered, unobtrusive an you cannot see them.
...Like in a dedicated pro JBL Synthesis home theater surround sound system.

For exposed stereo duty in a nice living room, dedicated stereo music listening room; an attractive performing design would be welcome...IMO.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
For exposed stereo duty in a nice living room, dedicated stereo music listening room; an attractive performing design would be welcome...IMO.

16c536a34ee29338e91dbe60c94fdb6e.jpg

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
To me all JBL speakers should be in-walls. ...Where they are covered, unobtrusive an you cannot see them.
...Like in a dedicated pro JBL Synthesis home theater surround sound system.

For exposed stereo duty in a nice
reaction cancelling rear driver? :D

Top Bottom