• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 705P / 708P

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
I am thinking of getting a set of 708P's. I want to stay digital all the way to the speaker.

The best options I have found so far for a digital preamp (digital to digital conversion, volume control, switching) are the Grace Design M905, Lynx Hilo, and Weiss Engineering INT204. All are remote controlled.

Potential system: Aurender N100H -> Grace Design M905 -> JBL Pro 708P. Simple, yet powerful. May need subs at some point, the Grace Design has sub outputs so not a problem.

A Grace Design m905 superseded an Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk. 3.2 in my home audio rig. I also auditioned a Crane Song Avocet (great monitor controller / DAC, too!). I do not believe the m905 is a digital preamp...volume control is in the analogue domain, IIRC.

NWCgrad

A Grace Design m905 superseded an Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk. 3.2 in my home audio rig. I also auditioned a Crane Song Avocet (great monitor controller / DAC, too!). I do not believe the m905 is a digital preamp...volume control is in the analogue domain, IIRC.
I spoke with Ebon Grace a few months ago, it can do volume control in an all digital pathway.

Crane Song is another contender.

99% of my listening is CD's ripped to a SSD. So I am not chasing the latest in the ever escalating DSD and PCM processing capabilities. Others have a different - and equally valid - viepoint.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I am thinking of getting a set of 708P's. I want to stay digital all the way to the speaker.

The best options I have found so far for a digital preamp (digital to digital conversion, volume control, switching) are the Grace Design M905, Lynx Hilo, and Weiss Engineering INT204. All are remote controlled.

Potential system: Aurender N100H -> Grace Design M905 -> JBL Pro 708P. Simple, yet powerful. May need subs at some point, the Grace Design has sub outputs so not a problem.

Ok, the m905 is even sweeter than I thought:

1. The tethered remote has a mic built in to measure SPL

2. It also has a headphone jack

3. You can order it with a phono input!

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I spoke with Ebon Grace a few months ago, it can do volume control in an all digital pathway.

What's not clear is if you can use the digital output if the source is analog (i.e. it does ADC, then digital volume control).

To quote the user manual:

"DIGITAL OUTPUTS (AES3, S/PDIF) - Two stereo digital (loop-thru) outputs are provided via AES3 XLR and S/PDIF RCA connectors. These provide a buffered output of a user selectable digital input. Use of high quality 110 Ohm balanced cable for the AES3 out 75 Ohm cable for the S/PDIF out is highly recommended. These outputs can also be configured to function as a digital speaker output when monitoring digital PCM sources."

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have used the Weiss INT interfaces for years ,they work and are reliable, currently using one with Dutch & Dutch's 8C digital speakers.
Firewire to AES straight into the speakers remote control takes care of attenuation.
Keith

NWCgrad

What's not clear is if you can use the digital output if the source is analog (i.e. it does ADC, then digital volume control).

To quote the user manual:

"DIGITAL OUTPUTS (AES3, S/PDIF) - Two stereo digital (loop-thru) outputs are provided via AES3 XLR and S/PDIF RCA connectors. These provide a buffered output of a user selectable digital input. Use of high quality 110 Ohm balanced cable for the AES3 out 75 Ohm cable for the S/PDIF out is highly recommended. These outputs can also be configured to function as a digital speaker output when monitoring digital PCM sources."

Here the info from Ebon in regards to my question about using the Grace M905 to keep the signal digital all the way from source to AES input of powered speakers:

"Hi Steve,

Thanks for the inquiry.

The m905 would do exactly what you are looking for. It is our only
playback device which does digital level control. Level controlled
digital outputs are available via AES and S/PDIF.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Looks like you would have an awesome sounding rig!

Cheers,
Eben"

NWCgrad

Thanks, glad to be here. I have been active on AVSforum for years, but as I finished my basic home theater I am moving back to two channel. Still I early planing stages, i retire from the Navy (my username is Naval War College grad) in 28 months, 16 days (not that I'm counting).

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Here the info from Ebon in regards to my question about using the Grace M905 to keep the signal digital all the way from source to AES input of powered speakers:

"Hi Steve,

Thanks for the inquiry.

The m905 would do exactly what you are looking for. It is our only
playback device which does digital level control. Level controlled
digital outputs are available via AES and S/PDIF.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Looks like you would have an awesome sounding rig!

Cheers,
Eben"

Thanks, but that wasn't my question.

My question is whether it does AD with digital volume control.

I know it does digital volume control for the digital inputs.

It read like it does analog volume control for analog inputs.

NWCgrad

Oops, posting with a migraine isn't always a great idea. I would also like to know the AD volume question. I have a turntable and hundreds of records somewhere in the house.

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Thanks, but that wasn't my question.

My question is whether it does AD with digital volume control.

I know it does digital volume control for the digital inputs.

It read like it does analog volume control for analog inputs.

As far as I can tell, m905 conversion pertains to DA, only.
Grace Design firmware, v. 1.16, allows an m905 to control a digital loudspeaker like the Kii Three, so one wouldn't necessarily need a Kii CONTROL.
Grace Design distributes the pro line of Kii Audio in the USA.

Old Listener

zzSounds.com lists the 705P as "in stock, ships today".

B&H Photo and Sweetwater say it's coming soon.

My guess is that shipments from JBL haven't caught up to pre-order demand yet.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes, at least here anyway. The analog signal is used in the comparator input of the IRS20957S chip to modulate the pulse widths to the output FETs.

Edit: Oh wait, you're talking at the system level. If the DAC has volume control and source switching, yes. :)

The 705ps are just sitting on stands out in the room a bit. Within the speaker cavity itself, there's a metal plate that joins the mounting holes that are on the top and bottom of the speaker so it's a pretty robust mounting.

Have you played around with the built in EQ yet?

12B4A

I have but the issue I run in to is if I strictly use the user EQ, I then lack bass management of my subs with my receiver unless I just press the Audyssey32 button which already does a satisfactory job EQing the mains. I'm also out of my depth when appropriately configuring the parameters of REW's EQ generation routine to choose the right set of filters, even when I limit it to 500hz and below. I know I could just go get a mini-dsp for managing the subs but there's a lot going on now and in the near future with pre/pros (more powerful room correction, object-oriented audio formats) that I'm holding off on a pre/pro purchase until something meets my unrealistic desires in one box.

To be candid, I really didn't care about the user adjustable EQ on these speakers. To me, that aspect seems like something easy to do with the all the extra horsepower they used to duplicate the FIR filtering in the i-series for the anechoic response. I just wanted 705s without the markup and noise of overbuilt leaf blower amplifiers. If you do have any questions about the built-in EQ, then ask them since I can still press buttons.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I have but the issue I run in to is if I strictly use the user EQ, I then lack bass management of my subs with my receiver unless I just press the Audyssey32 button which already does a satisfactory job EQing the mains. I'm also out of my depth when appropriately configuring the parameters of REW's EQ generation routine to choose the right set of filters, even when I limit it to 500hz and below. I know I could just go get a mini-dsp for managing the subs but there's a lot going on now and in the near future with pre/pros (more powerful room correction, object-oriented audio formats) that I'm holding off on a pre/pro purchase until something meets my unrealistic desires in one box.

To be candid, I really didn't care about the user adjustable EQ on these speakers. To me, that aspect seems like something easy to do with the all the extra horsepower they used to duplicate the FIR filtering in the i-series for the anechoic response. I just wanted 705s without the markup and noise of overbuilt leaf blower amplifiers. If you do have any questions about the built-in EQ, then ask them since I can still press buttons.

Can you explain the difference between the User EQ and the Room EQ? From what I can tell in the manual they both have parametric EQ settings, so I don't get the difference...

12B4A

There's really not much difference. The user EQ has 6 filter slots you can use, 1 is dedicated for a high shelf and another for a low shelf - both totally optional to implement. The leftover 4 parametric filter bands are identical in adjustable parameters to the 8 filter bands in the room correction EQ section. It's kind of arbitrary that they are separated like that since the net result to the end user is 12 adjustable parametric EQ bands and 2 shelf filters.

Top Bottom