• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I want bass like this....

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
That's an interesting demo.

"According to the owner of Treme Treme, Lauri Fernando, the cart is the largest in the world attested by MTM Brazil (company that performs technical measurement of automotive sound competitions). "There are 192 15-inch speakers," says Fernando."

Let's make a conservative (low) guess:

Incoherent source:
8 speakers at 110dB = 119.029dB

Eight sets of those (64 speakers) = 128.06dB

And three sets of those (192 speakers) = 132.82dB

At what distance? I suppose farther than the usual meter or 50 inches since it is so big. 50 feet maybe?

Not my cup of tea.

Here's a small 165dB system.

Last edited:

fas42

Major Contributor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The more portable versions. These reach 160-182 db. Yes the bass is moving her hair like that.

Name

If you want sub bass like that in a headphone, check out the JVC SZ2000. I have a pair and they really do have massive sub bass in the 10-50hz range when equalized and powered for it. The mids/highs are not as nice sounding as my other headphones, but they're still decent with my eq settings and a good burn in. I never experienced so much change in sound quality from burn in time as I have with this particular headset. I power them with the IFI ICAN SE on the highest gain setting, near 4 watts.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks. Didn't know there were headphones specializing in bass performance.

I get a kick out of Amazon description for these headphones:

"Adopted to realize the heavy bass to play the bass be mounted. Real band type headphones for the "live beat system", "stream woofer DB (double bass reflex)" of. Sharp "Brass (brass) made damping cylinder" the "Vibration plate carbon" of large-diameter 55mm that sounded deep bass realistic The woofer unit has adopted a "carbon plate vibration" of large-diameter 55mm with excellent playing characteristics of the low frequency range. I've realized that balanced crisp and powerful, the bass reproduction of high quality. To achieve a high-pitched tone reproduction in the high-resolution "carbon nanotube diaphragm" The treble unit and adopts high rigidity the "carbon nanotube diaphragm" lightweight in that you only tuning. I realized the treble reproduction in that it is the growth in the clear. Adopted (brass) cylinder made of brass damping to reduce unwanted vibration I adopt with metal material, brass large specific gravity "Brass (brass) made damping cylinder" the. I will reproduce across the sound only of grains. I adopt the silver-coated OFC line to increase the resolution of all bands The core code, and has adopted the silver-coated OFC line to suppress the transmission loss of the sound signal, increase the resolution of the sound in all the bands. To reduce the hassle of code adopted "code out single""​

Name

Lol! I'm going to assume since these are Japanese imports that this is a Japanese person writing in a translator...

Name

These headphones aren't your typical bassy headphone. They just handle sub frequencies like a champ. They really go down deep. You just have to experience it. They were designed for club sound and I think they can pull that off quite well. They're "fun". I use my Denons or other for movies or classical music or what not, but if I want loads of sub bass for fun, I grab these.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks. Didn't know there were headphones specializing in bass performance. ...

The Philips SHE3700 / 3800 / 3900 series of IEMs have remarkably clean and deep bass. They play with authority down to 15 Hz or so, it's not a note at that frequency but pressure, like driving on the freeway in a car with the window down. I use them when commuting on the bus because they can easily overcome the environmental LF rumble. The best part is they cost less than $20...
For example, they do a good job on the last 30 seconds of the 3rd video above.

Also this, which may be more to the taste of the folks here:

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

Ray mentioned 192 drivers (15")?
And in the audience there is roughly a dozen people?
No wonder; their music selection is pathetic.
This is worst than Rap/Puke yell of hell.

ETDrYB.gif

Last edited:

Name

Hey Don,

I've noticed that many IEM's handle bass better than over the ear headphones, and a lot of that has to do with the seal. I've had some Philips earbuds in the past that really did well with the low notes. The best I've ever had for an in ear, concerning bass, is the Denon AH-C300, which I still use. They handle the low notes just as well as my SZ2000 headphones aforementioned. The difference however is that the earbuds will tickle my inner ear with notes in the 10-50hz range, whereas my SZ2000's will vibrate the glasses on my face, the side of my head, and my neck. On bass tests I can feel the bass down well below 20hz. It seems that I stop noticing the pressure around 10 hz even though the driver is still moving.

The downside to the SZ2000 is they need a lot of power (relatively speaking) and a lot of EQ. I amplify them with a 4,000mw amp on high gain with the gain stage 3/4 maxed out and the volume on windows at 80-90 on some songs (I never max out windows volume). I spent many hours experimenting with EQ settings and have them sounding very good now. I actually used a binaural microphone to record a sine wave and measure my frequency response from which I EQ'd them.

Top Bottom