• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HQPlayer does not work (resolved, now some results)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So after a lot of instance from members :), I decided to install HQPlayer. Download and install went fine on my Windows 10 machine. I ran it and dragged a music file into it. Hit play and it gives me a scroll bar to the right, and then to the left. And then nothing! Every time I tell it to play any kind of music file that is what it does for a few seconds and no audio comes out of my laptop speakers.

What the heck is it doing? Does it only work with special DACs and not internal sound device in Windows???

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here is what it does:

HQPlayer.PNG

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
We need a slap head emoji amir... You definitely warrant one:p:D

Ah, looking at the song your trying to play it seems HQplayer has a special filter that saves you from girly song titles!

Try this and report back!

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps your system is not resolving enough :p

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I run it on its own or with Muso. What output did you set it for?

bibo01

Amir, under Settings/Device Settings, be sure to select your audio device. For internal it probably is Wasapi/Internal Speaker, otherwise ASIO/,,,.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, under Settings/Device Settings, be sure to select your audio device. For internal it probably is Wasapi/Internal Speaker, otherwise ASIO/,,,.
That's what I have done to no effect. Do you know what it does when those progress bars go left and right? Does it do that even when it works?

bibo01

Please post a screenshot of your Settings.
On your desktop, in the drop down lists in the center, try to select a frequency (instead of Auto) and PCM.

The progress bar is to show calculation. Normally it last a few seconds. It can last a long time if you have chosen a difficult conversion of if your cpu is under-powered. Probably is neither in your case, as you want to have a simple playback. Therefore, it means that the chosen output (the 4 drop down lists - filter, ns/modulation, frequency, type) is not supported or your device is not reachable.

bibo01

Your settings are OK.
I have also replicated them and it's fine on my system. So HQP can definitely output to internal device.
It seems that HQP cannot output to your device because it finds it busy.
Can you try to output to a different device, like ASIO/xyz? So at least we confirm that HQP can playback, then we sort out your first device.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Be interested to hear your thoughts on this A, will you be transcoding everything to up sampled DSD, the current
fad du jour?
Keith.

mirekti

I am in business. :)

Any comments on the player? Many rave about it, but what do you have to say? ;)
Upsampling to DSD, and especially upsampling to DSD512. Rumor has it this is where all the magic happens.
Thanks.

Top Bottom