• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How Hearing Works - Interesting Video (plus video on hearing loss)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Hi all,
Very interesting video showing how our hearing works:
Nice graphics but there is no mention of what the auricle or external auditory meatus do to the sound.
Small error: There is no amplification in the operation of the ossicles in the middle ear. There is no external power required and they function as a physical transformer to make an impedance transformation. Anyone want to guess why that is necessary?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When will they do the animation for audiophile ears? Hair cells that respond to at least 50khz.

It also occurred to me the one about hearing loss should show the hair cells reaction during heavy metal rock concerts when listening at the edge of the stage in full concert mode at about 130 db. Also instead of the smooth voice over they need Ivan L. Moody to do the narration of that one. Not recommended for good hearing health.

OP
S

SPFC

Nice graphics but there is no mention of what the auricle or external auditory meatus do to the sound.
Small error: There is no amplification in the operation of the ossicles in the middle ear. There is no external power required and they function as a physical transformer to make an impedance transformation. Anyone want to guess why that is necessary?
Hmmm, not sure Kal, care to share with the less informed ones in this forum?:)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Hmmm, not sure Kal, care to share with the less informed ones in this forum?:)
Sure. The entering sound energy medium is air and the inner ear is filled with endolymph (a liquid that has a much higher density than air) so, with no other mechanism in place, most of the energy would be lost in the transition. It is similar to what you experience hearing the sounds of the beach after you submerge in the surf.
The leverage of the ossicles and the high ratio of the area of the tympanic membrane (large) to that of the oval window (small) result in an increase in pressure at the oval window but at the expense of total force. This greatly reduces the loss (by about 22x referred to above and it particularly favors frequencies in the 3oo-5000Hz range due to the mechanics of the ossicles.

Last edited:

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Sure. The entering sound energy medium is air and the inner ear is filled with endolymph (a liquid that has a much higher density than air) so, with no other mechanism in place, most of the energy would be lost in the transition. It is similar to what you experience hearing the sounds of the beach after you submerge in the surf.
The leverage of the ossicles and the high ratio of the area of the tympanic membrane (large) to that of the oval window (small) result in an increase in pressure at the oval window but at the expense of total force. This greatly reduces the loss (by about 22x referred to above and it particularly favors frequencies in the 3oo-35000Hz range due to the mechanics of the ossicles.
Dr. Rubinson, as if we did not know before, you really know your stuff in this area.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I think it's a touch of a stretch to extend the eardrum response to 35000 Hz in a human. You have to consider the acoustic impedance of the air in front of the tympanum, especially at higher frequencies. Something has to move that mass.

A good model for eardrum performance at lower frequencies is a highpass filter, with a single 6db/octave rolloff below 700Hz.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I think it's a touch of a stretch to extend the eardrum response to 35000 Hz in a human. You have to consider the acoustic impedance of the air in front of the tympanum, especially at higher frequencies. Something has to move that mass.

A good model for eardrum performance at lower frequencies is a highpass filter, with a single 6db/octave rolloff below 700Hz.
Ouch. That 3500hz was a typo which I just corrected. Thanks for catching it.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yeah. I understand typos. I've been known a time or three. :)
The amazing thing is that it stood for a year and a half. On the Internet, where there's always someone looking to criticize, that's an eternity. It almost became false news.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Typo is my middle name. But then it is easily understandable for a French Kanadian.

Kal, you are correct; it is an eternity for not having been detected, and then not criticized with firm authority.

What are we thinking when we make typos?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I just figured that's why Kal's the reviewer and I'm a simple country boy eng-uhn-ear... :)

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
The amazing thing is that it stood for a year and a half. On the Internet, where there's always someone looking to criticize, that's an eternity. It almost became false news.
Perhaps, this is an argument that it was true...before it became false. ;)

Top Bottom