• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hallo

Detlof

Some of you may know me from WBF. I am a dyed in the wool music lover and since I also like to listen to music at home, also an audiophile, but less woolly. I have come knocking at your door to learn, because without the natural sciences there would be no audiophiles. But then without the humanities ( which I have been trained in ), neither audiophilia nor love for music can really be questioned at depth. I feel we need each other. There is so much that science cannot explain. For example, we know now, that there are specific parts in our brain which will react to music, discerning it from noise and hence react to nothing else but music. Why this is so, we do not know so far. Here the humanities may come in, not to give answers, but to speculate and hypothesize. These again may one day give ground for controlled experiments to push research further. We need each other I feel, although since natural science attracts the best brains from all over the world and its successes are simply stunning, the humanities have less and less to contribute. But still......

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Detlef Hi, great to see you here, I do hope you enjoy the forum.
Keith

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of me may know me from WBF. I am a died in the wool music lover and since I also like to listen to music at home, also an audiophile, but less wooly. I have come knocking at your door to learn, because without the natural sciences there would be no audiophiles. But then without the humanities ( which I have been trained in ), neither audiophilia nor love for music can really be questioned at depth. I feel we need each other. There is so much that science cannot explain. For example, we know now, that there are specific parts in our brain which will react to music, discerning it from noise and hence react to nothing else but music. Why this is so, we do not know so far. Here the humanities may come in, not to give answers, but to speculate and hypothesize. These again may one day give ground for controlled experiments to push research further. We need each other I feel, although since natural science attracts the best brains from all over the world and its successes are simply stunning, the humanities have less and less to contribute. But still......
Detlof
Love this post!
Let me expand more welcome to you. I hope to see more of your posts here.

fas42

Major Contributor
There is so much that science cannot explain. For example, we know now, that there are specific parts in our brain which will react to music, discerning it from noise and hence react to nothing else but music. Why this is so, we do not know so far. Here the humanities may come in, not to give answers, but to speculate and hypothesize. These again may one day give ground for controlled experiments to push research further. We need each other I feel, although since natural science attracts the best brains from all over the world and its successes are simply stunning, the humanities have less and less to contribute. But still......
Also, welcome from me. Things in science aren't as bad as you think, there has been excellent movement forward, in the field of Auditory Scene Analysis, in understanding how the brain plays with sounds - people around here don't like it, because it doesn't confirm their prejudices :p, but it is full of excellent thinking and research ...

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Hey, science and fun expansion are good for the mind and soul...happiness. :) Welcome!

* What is your take on the latest Halo flick?

Last edited:
OP
Detlof

Detlof

Thank you gentlemen for your kind welcome! Halo Wars? Was oblivious of even version one. Must research it. Franz you were too kind and fas, loved your x- mas blog of last year. Absolutely my experience. Hope to step gingerly amongst the learned ones here, but will probably make a fool of myself, but then, as North Sky speaketh, fun expansion is the name of the game. Keith, thanks, your amps are still waiting for appraisal and Thomas, comitted audiophiles are already comitted without the help of an MD. It is a slow and sure process in a very expensive private ward. But would not miss the fun in it.

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
The Halo Wars 2 cinematic trailer was only because of your thread's title...of course...Hallo.

Hello (Adele), Allo (French), Yo (Rappers), and Yello (Swiss electronic music band). I like all the variations of Hi! ...Like I feel high indeed, or hi-fi, or high-five.

OP
Detlof

Detlof

The Halo Wars 2 cinematic trailer was only because of your thread's title...of course...Hallo.

Hello (Adele), Allo (French), Yo (Rappers), and Yello (Swiss electronic music band). I like all the variations of Hi! ...Like I feel high indeed, or hi-fi, or high-five.

Aah so (japanese for "I get it" and the Germans say " Ach so ", and the Swedes say "hej"for hi.:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom