• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hacking and more hacking ...

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It wouldn't surprised me if Google, and Microsoft too, haven't been hacked yet...only to find out (to be told) years later!
• Amazon has been hacked already → https://www.hackread.com/amazon-suffers-security-breach/
That's not a true hack. It is limited to Kindle and even then, the passwords were not exposed:

"UPDATE: (4:15 PM MONDAY, JULY 11, 2016, GREENWICH MEAN TIME (GMT)
We requested Israeli data mining company Hacked-DB for a quick data check and based on their findings it seems that the user accounts are valid but the compromised passwords are not actually passwords rather they are session keys which reside in the Amazon cookie data. The researchers also analyzed the data and compared it with the current Amazon cookies, and the structure of the data is exactly as can be seen in the data breach, however, they cannot verify where the attack came from; perhaps it could have been compromised by a log file that resides on a hacked server or from an MITM attack in a malicious website."

You almost made me worried Bob. :)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is also benign:

"We are confident that Sundar Pichai’s account was not accessed via a vulnerability in Quora’s systems. This is consistent with past reports where OurMine exploited previous password leaks on other services to gain access to accounts on Twitter or Facebook. We also have no record of a report by OurMine pointing to a vulnerability. We recommend that people use unique passwords for accounts on different services, so that a security breach on one service does not lead to attackers gaining access to accounts on other services. Safeguarding our users is very important to us, which makes security at Quora one of our highest priorities."

A lot of people share passwords between accounts so when it leaks on one platform, e.g. facebook, it can leak on another (e.g. Twitter).

Hackers thrive on attention and love to exaggerate what they have done.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I know Amir, but nonetheless no one is impervious to vulnerability, no one. :)

We can call it what we want; breach, hack, violation, security failure, privacy disruption, theft, ...etc., it's just that any smart kid today can get access to your emails, your privacy, your transactions, passwords, information, conversations, etc. Even your own government...FBI, CIA, DEA, ...tra-la-la...working security agencies.

Anyway, it makes me laugh. And furthermore; what some authorities consider acceptable to divulge or not, publicly and secretively too.
...And not just including texts, letters, phone conversations but also videos (from cell phones and video cams).

You want me to dig deeper into Amazon, Google, Microsoft and Apple's breaches/hacks of the past?
Try the new Edge browser, or ask Cortana, or Google Chrome. I'm going back to my music session, for now, but I'll be back...with more hack. :)

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
It doesn't reboot its password automatically? ...Like it has no self-security protection?
Every device we buy should have a security/privacy feature in them; we are in the year 2016...where and when the technologies are super advanced, like recreating the Big Bang, and all the robots we created.

It reminds me of few years back when some Samsung laptops were spying kids @ school from their cameras.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It doesn't reboot its password automatically? ...Like it has no self-security protection?
Every device we buy should have a security/privacy feature in them; we are in the year 2016...where and when the technologies are super advanced, like recreating the Big Bang, and all the robots we created.

From the factory, all routers come with a default user name and password for their administration account. And, though less common these days, some still come with remote administration enabled. This means that anyone who knows or can guess the password can log into the router from the Internet and change settings or install malware. A few also have also have bugs in their firmware that allow remote access / malware installation regardless.

Change the admin password on your router to a hard-to-guess one.
Disable remote administration.
Look on the manufacturer's website for updated firmware. Install it if you find some.

The same applies to anything you have visible from the Internet, typically home surveillance cameras, air conditioning, remotely programmable DVRs etc.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Got a notice from a random company that said they handle fishing licenses for Washington, Oregon and Idaho states. And that their records were breached and all of our personal info include driver's license information has been stolen! Now even going fishing is not safe! :( They enrolled us in some security watch and say no data has surfaced but boy, is this concerning regarding identity theft.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
1. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/29/t...-shows-yahoos-weak-security-history.html?_r=0
2. http://www.salon.com/2016/09/28/the-latest-top-dem-says-russia-behind-dnc-hacking/
3. https://www.wired.com/2016/09/tesla-responds-chinese-hack-major-security-upgrade/
_________

The best way to combat identity theft, IMO, is to change your identity. :) ...Hackers they do that all the time.
The more easily we can be identified the easier the hackers having a good time with us.

And don't trust big "machines" like NASDAQ, Wall Street, Yahoo, Silicon Valley, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin, Dating sites, Perfume product companies, Drug companies (pharmaceutical), FBI and CIA organisations, Advertising agencies, Health Insurance companies, ...brief most companies and organisations with less than protection necessary to all their customers. I know; it sounds alarming...it does and it is.

Take my driver licence for example; there are five names written on it. If someone steals it, he/she's going to hit a "dilemma".
It can be resolved, but with painful research into my ancestry. Anyone would give up before getting it. :)
Just this morning for example; my neighbor asked me: "Bob, who is Albert?"
______

Hacking is a way of life, very normal in the cyber world we live in. Everyday kids from all over search for identities as they have none.
It's like looking for a new job where you can make money selling dishwashing detergent.

Stay tuned, tomorrow another company/organisation is going to announce that they've been hacked, twelve months ago.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
No problem for me, the last time I checked my credit record I bought a house in 1963 (age 10) and I am already deceased.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
No problem for me, the last time I checked my credit record I bought a house in 1963 (age 10) and I am already deceased.
Have you checked your pulse today? :D

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/22/business/internet-problems-attack.html

22internet-3-master768.png

"And in a troubling development, the attack appears to have relied on hundreds of thousands of internet-connected devices like cameras, baby monitors and home routers that have been infected — without their owners’ knowledge — with software that allows hackers to command them to flood a target with overwhelming traffic."

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
If they can hack your identity/personality and becoming you and leaving you to rot like a bum on the street with no direction home and no more bank account, they can also hack your TV movie series! :eek:

There is nothing more scary in life than someone taking control of your Tesla car, driving it for you, taking it for a spin, and never to return home, and hack your favorite TV soap operas: • http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40860785
Now you can't drive (they stole your self-driving computerized electrical Tesla) and you can't even be controlled by Netflix anymore in your own home in front of your television set. You'd be able to see the unseeable, and then you have nothing left to watch but older runs from the Batman's Series of the 60s. Am I serious? Dead serious you betcha!

Soon they'll hack into your garden and take the corn, the carrots, the tomatoes, the cucumbers, the celeri, the rhubarb, the green beans, the lettuces and the pumpkins. They'll leave only the rotten potatoes and onions.

What does it all mean for the future of our TV programming? The end of the new beginning.
Or is it the other way around?

Oh, just in case ;-)

Last edited:

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got a notice from a random company that said they handle fishing licenses for Washington, Oregon and Idaho states. And that their records were breached and all of our personal info include driver's license information has been stolen! Now even going fishing is not safe! :( They enrolled us in some security watch and say no data has surfaced but boy, is this concerning regarding identity theft.

Because they wait for 2 years and a day. Right after your free credit monitoring expires.

Just like the burn in time is 1 hour longer than the no questions asked return period.

Top Bottom