• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Guardians of the Galaxie Vol.2

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Went to the IMAX and saw Vol.2 in 3D Tuesday night.
This IMO is a really easy review to do, how ever you felt about the first one you'll probably feel the same here. I for one enjoyed the flix and the fun factor is high. CGI visuals were great though 3D has never been a big deal to me. I don't dislike it but it never adds much for me, given the choice I wouldn't pay extra just for the 3D. I felt they could of done a better job on the surround sound mix. It just seemed to be missing something in that complete immersion feeling, yes there are various sounds coming from all around but it doesn't make the room disappear in the way I found Kong-Skull Island did. YMMV I'm not very good a fancy descriptive writing and the story line really isn't the point here. LOL
If the living comic book stuff is your cup of tea you should like this one, Four of Five stars.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Come on Sal. 5 star ratings are passe' since Netflix went to the thumbs up/thumbs down binary rating system. Your lack of extremely deep introspection and description is in keeping with a more streamlined review process.

FWIW, I was basically forced into seeing the first one at a local theater. Expecting to hate it, I thought it was a real hoot. So with your thumbs up, I will probably see this one too.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
FWIW, I was basically forced into seeing the first one at a local theater. Expecting to hate it, I thought it was a real hoot.
That's the way I was about it. Saw the previews and prejudged it as some silly little kids flix with a talking raccoon, stick man, etc . Then I just happened to catch a bit of it on a free TV channel so I rented the BD at Redbox. Just a fun way to pass a few hours and enjoy good video production.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I mostly agree, but I continue to be disappointed by how they portray Gamora relative to the comics.

Gamora, daughter of Thanos, would never even begin to fall for a goof like Peter Quill.

The closest they comic in the comics is a one night stand stress sex fling, and Gamora kicks Quill out of bed for failing to ring her bell.

She also does the same to playboy Tony Stark.

guardians42.jpg

yhypmOE.jpg

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Right now I'm just way jazzed up about seeing Star Wars - The Last Jedi next week at the IMAX
Reviews by folks I can relate to, have been for the most part positive.
Now where'd I leave my light saber?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well firstly, revisiting the volume 2.......................OMG what were they thinking? This was one of the worst movies I have seen in some time. How do people get paid for something this awful.

I do give a reserved thumbs up for Star Wars. Saw it in full domed Imax last week.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Have to say I struggled with Star Wars. I did enjoy it, but it was more from a nostalgic POV than considering any real merit/originality to the film. In essence how many times can you re-tell the same story? I just dont need to see another episode.

Supreme leader
Sub ordinate nasty
Sword fight
Rebel base (management meeting followed by flee from)
Fish face

Last edited:
OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well firstly, revisiting the volume 2.......................OMG what were they thinking?
About having fun, and making a movie that is fun to watch.

Have to I struggled with Star Wars. I did enjoy it, but it was more from a nostalgic POV than considering any real merit/originality to the film. In essence how many times can you re-tell the same story? I just dont need to see another episode.
Doesn't it even have the required bar scene? :D
Many times when viewing a series movie the original is remembered with rose colored glasses. The first one really was a ground breaker in special effects, sound tech, and all that that. It will forever burn a warm spot in the hearts of those who first saw it during it's original theater run. Those of us with that history are probably the worst judges of that which came later. I don't know the acting, writing, artsy/fartsy in the first were anything to give awards over either.

I'll see The Last Jedi at the IMAX on Wed night and post my opinion then, but if I walk out smiling with a feeling I had fun I'll believe my money was well spend.
The movies, like pro sports, are arranged events with a bunch of over paid clowns on a stage, with the sole job of entertaining the viewers. If the people are entertained they return, if not it's a bust and something will change. I don't need people who believe they have a better insight into the world to preach, moralize, get across some hidden political agenda, and all that. Those involved in art production sit down on the toilet every day just like we all do. I pay them to dance for me and make me smile.
Here's hoping I smile on Wednesday, I have for every prior episode with the exception of The Phantom Menace. I'm sure the 6 year olds enjoyed Jar Jar, for the majority that wasn't the case.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
About having fun, and making a movie that is fun to watch.

I didn't find this one fun to watch though. I struggle to see how it would be all things considered. I was really looking forward to it. Really bummed out when I actually saw it.

While not fully to my liking and signaling a turn in a direction I'll no longer care about, I think the Last Jedi was pretty good.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I didn't find this one fun to watch though. I struggle to see how it would be all things considered.
I don't understand how you have enjoyed the first and hated the second? For me it was just more of the same, both the good and bad. I left both with a grin but neither is a "bucket list" experience either that's for sure. LOL

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I don't understand how you have enjoyed the first and hated the second? For me it was just more of the same, both the good and bad. I left both with a grin but neither is a "bucket list" experience either that's for sure. LOL

Two words:

Flying Leia

Killed it for me.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Two words:

Flying Leia

Killed it for me.
You stinker, I had to google that to figure what you meant. SPOILER ALERT :p
I thought we were talking about GotG II

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Two words:

Flying Leia

Killed it for me.
That was just plain wrong, I was like “ oh leia been blown up..., umm .. Oh she’s flying back to her ship.. ok Star Wars , whatever you weirdos “.

But I liked the film, shame about chewy dying though...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I must not have been alone Sal. Of three friends, two had the same opinion as I. A third went to see it and left 40 minutes into it and wandered in to catch another picture. Not saying you are wrong, but I found it very different in tone and no fun vs the first one.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That was just plain wrong, I was like “ oh leia been blown up..., umm .. Oh she’s flying back to her ship.. ok Star Wars , whatever you weirdos “.

But I liked the film, shame about chewy dying though...
Man don't spoil it all for Sal.
He's going to see it tomorrow evening.

Don't we have the spoiler tag we can apply to posts still?

I thought the Leia thing was like a manifestion of the force in her or something, and still wrong.

Thanks Ray.

See post below by Ray.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I must not have been alone Sal. Of three friends, two had the same opinion as I. A third went to see it and left 40 minutes into it and wandered in to catch another picture. Not saying you are wrong, but I found it very different in tone and no fun vs the first one.
I was less enamoured with the second GotG , lacked the charm of the first one for me.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Man don't spoil it all for Sal.
He's going to see it tomorrow evening.

I though the Leia thing was like a manifestion of the force in her or something, and still wrong.
Maybe Leia just really needed the loo, when I’m driving and in need I tend to fly..

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Yes.

I think you have to manually type it in (maybe not, too lazy to look)

Like this:

upload_2018-1-3_1-44-15.png

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You weren't wrong, when I googled it, everyone feels the same way.
But you still SUCK! :mad: :p

Last edited:
OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom