• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great Review of Competitive Landscape in DSLR Cameras

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is one of the online video blogs I follow. In this case, Tony does a great job of reviewing what is the best in different categories of photography. He focuses mostly on Canon vs Nikon but also covers useful bits about other brands. Very useful look at where the companies are currently. If you are thinking of getting into DSLR photography, this is a must watch video:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I watched part of it; it looks like a nice presentation from a guy who knows his camera stuff. ...Cool Amir.

And it's true that year after year there are new improvements, so to save money it could be a good alternative to check the second-hand camera market?
What do you think Amir, is that makes good sense for artist photographers without the funds for say a $5,000 investment in a good DSLR camera with all the great lenses? ...Sure some costs much less than that, and you can go higher too...for pros.

This, a great hobby. ...Artistic hobby.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What do you think Amir, is that makes good sense for artist photographers without the funds for say a $5,000 investment in a good DSLR camera with all the great lenses? .
It depends on what you want to take pictures of. For general photography and fantastic landscape work, my choice as in the video is Canon 5DsR. That is $3,700. For landscape work, Canon 16-35 F4 at $1,000 is a superb choice. For general purpose work, 24-105. And for most everything else, 100-400 IS zoom. With these three lenses I can do just about everything. It is more than $5,000 though.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I miss the smell of dektol and the red safety light in the bathroom on Friday nights.

Pictures in a minute are still around...

upload_2016-7-23_1-24-33.png

ceedee

I like Tony and Chelsea's channel. I also bought their book Stunning Digital Photography and one on Lightroom too.

I just got rid of my darkroom a few years ago. These days I mostly enjoy shooting my Nikon D750 with 50mm f/1.4.

I was shocked to find that I can take pictures at ISO 12,800 that look better than film at ISO 800! It's amazing how far this technology has come.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for the first video. It mirrors what we do in audio. We love to discuss the gear far more than the music itself. Alas, I don't consider Tony and Chelsea great photographers. So I don't go to their channel for that kind of advice.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Ok, I'm no expert on photography courses and who has the best videos on the subject.
Photography is an art, and like any art the eyes of the artist and his style in capturing what he sees are his own personal vision.
And the critics have all their own set of eyes too.
And generally a photograph can be coming from any type of camera, and not necessarily the best and most expensive cameras.
Adjustment of the light, composition, focus of subject, special effects, azimuth (ASA), distance, the pose, the angle, etc., are all part of the technical development revolving on the final capture. The timing, the luck, the nature, ...are part of the art of photography, plus the instinct of the photographer.
Which photography website, with videos, do you consider among the best educational and informative in this eye end art?

And I agree; that in photography as in audio the gear is often the main attraction and we forget the real subject...the power of the photo and of the music.
And it has not much to do with the gear, but more with the "message" we get from it.
Not to diminish the gear, but the gear is not the end of all ends; the subject is.

http://www.creativebloq.com/photography/websites-10121096

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't visit web sites for the art of photography. I have developed an eye for what I like and that is what I strive to produce.

GQ5R0164-X3.jpg

GQ5R0184-X3.jpg

GQ5R0180-X3.jpg

GQ5R0704-X3.jpg

_Q5R9276-X3.jpg

GQ5R1841-X3.jpg

I feel like I have moved from not knowing what I am doing to doing something relevant! :) Still far from true artists like Art Wolfe, Ansel Adams, etc.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Ok Amir, I read you clear. :cool:

I'll be an art critic (photography critic) for just a moment if you allow me. :) ...Very briefly.

#1 Focus is good, your best face, the subject's eyes, nose and mouth are her main features/attributes, the umbrella breaks the mood.
#2 I'll pass.
#3 I'll pass.
#4 The black background gives it its identity, focus is on the right one, higher part. Some unbalance. Still looks nice.
#5 Cool. Has potential, in the sense that I find the subject too enlarged. I like the movement.
#6 Your best shot of the last three. Lacks slight centrality, in the vertical plane (just needed a little lift). Still, my favorite.

Hey, just a quick honest criticism. :) It's all good Amir.

Last edited:

mingkahn

It depends on what you want to take pictures of. For general photography and fantastic landscape work, my choice as in the video is Canon 5DsR. That is $3,700. For landscape work, Canon 16-35 F4 at $1,000 is a superb choice. For general purpose work, 24-105. And for most everything else, 100-400 IS zoom. With these three lenses I can do just about everything. It is more than $5,000 though.
why camera so big money lomo best for camera little money you need only lomo camera

mingkahn

I don't visit web sites for the art of photography. I have developed an eye for what I like and that is what I strive to produce.

GQ5R0164-X3.jpg

GQ5R0184-X3.jpg

GQ5R0180-X3.jpg

GQ5R0704-X3.jpg

_Q5R9276-X3.jpg

GQ5R1841-X3.jpg

I feel like I have moved from not knowing what I am doing to doing something relevant! :) Still far from true artists like Art Wolfe, Ansel Adams, etc.
you take little girl picture

mingkahn

Ok Amir, I read you clear. :cool:

I'll be an art critic (photography critic) for just a moment if you allow me. :) ...Very briefly.

#1 Focus is good, your best face, the subject's eyes, nose and mouth are her main features/attributes, the umbrella breaks the mood.
#2 I'll pass.
#3 I'll pass.
#4 The black background gives it its identity, focus is on the right one, higher part. Some unbalance. Still looks nice.
#5 Cool. Has potential, in the sense that I find the subject too enlarged. I like the movement.
#6 Your best shot of the last three. Lack slight centrality, in the vertical plane (just needed a little lift). Still, my favorite.

Hey, just a quick honest criticism. :) It's all good Amir.
be nice or big had be mad on you

Top Bottom