• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ghost In The Shell

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
March 2017 will see the release of the live-action adaption of the 1995 Japanese anime classic Ghost In The Shell, a movie that here in the west is probably mostly known for inspiring the Matrix trilogy.

As a fan of the Japanese original, I'm trying my best to not build expectations for this (I mean, it could be utter crap), but I have to admit that this looks pretty dang good:

Last edited:
OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

And this actually gave me chills. The "shelling" scene is pretty much taken straight from the original, and even has the ridiculously awesome original music.

OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

Oh, and anyone who's a fan of sci-fi and hasn't seen the original? Download it or buy it NOW, it is an absolute masterpiece!

OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

Yeah, the thing with GITS is that it's been extremely influential. I didn't see it when it came out in '95, I think I first saw it in 2007 or something, and I immediately recognized so much from western sci-fi movies that had pretty much been stolen straight from it.

And Westworld does seem very interesting, it's definitely on my "must watch" list.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Yeah, the thing with GITS is that it's been extremely influential. I didn't see it when it came out in '95, I think I first saw it in 2007 or something, and I immediately recognized so much from western sci-fi movies that had pretty much been stolen straight from it.

And Westworld does seem very interesting, it's definitely on my "must watch" list.
Hollywood is a remake factory.. Often losing the nuance of the originals, whether it be movies or TV .

OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

Hollywood is a remake factory.. Often losing the nuance of the originals, whether it be movies or TV .

Yeah, I'm kind of worried that the philosophical/existensialist aspect of the original is going to be downplayed, and get replaced with stereotypical mindless Hollywood action. There actually are a couple of things in the trailer that suggests that could be the case. But I'm still hoping that the original has been given respect. (fingers crossed)

OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

Here's the shelling sequence in full screen. I'm fanboying hard here, the visuals are just spot on.

OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

Last edited:
OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

I have not seen the original despite knowing about it for a long time. Will go and watch it. Thanks!

You definitely should. Anyone who loves movies just has to see it. And let us know what you think.

kisseskowalski

this movie looks good in animated and I just hope it is also good in movie.

Last edited by a moderator:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So, did you watch it yet?
No. I have a dozen movies still shrinkwrapped that I have bought recently but not watched! Thanks for the reminder though. I will put it on the docket to watch. :)

Top Bottom