• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dolby Vision | What is it?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Everything You Need To Know - Almost

There are two type of people living on Earth; the audiophiles, and the videophiles.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/brands/dolby-vision.html

I'm from both categories, in search of the perfect marriage. The science of Vision...the Eyes.
How do we train our eyes to become expert videophiles? ...AB Blindtests? :D

Seriously, this is the new world we live in; best sound (Dolby Atmos) and picture (Dolby Vision).
It's better than 3D...that's what they all say. ...Like all things in life the best is not always the winning format.
I don't need to give examples; just goggle it and you'll see what they're talking about.

There is a trend today, in the new Chinese 2017 Year. The search for the highest entertainment experience.
The Art of Mastering the Balancing Act between Beautiful Vision and Gorgeous Sound.
Are you in? Are you interested by the newest, latest and greatest! ...Dolby Vision. Are you going to fly?
Are you ready to take off when the whole world will be @ the threshold of a new precipitated generation of visual perfection of the highest resolution and colored moving imagery? Are you ready to take the outside world by the horns and put it right in front of you...on your display, for the greatest pleasure of all, the highest highness crown?

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/should-you-next-tv-have-dolby-vision
http://www.techhive.com/article/307...n-versus-hdr-10-tv-a-format-war-and-more.html

What will you do when the whole world's going to spin on its head and dance and sing merry go round in the rain? Are you equipped with what it takes?
_____

If you have any interest in Dolby Vision, this is the area to have discussions about.
Anything, everything related...including Blu-ray movies encoded with Dolby Vision...comin' up soon to your local video stores and amazonvideo.com

Bonus (true story):

* When I was born I became a videophile first, then an audiophile. I was receptive to everything I saw. Like the snow in winter. Later on on top of the mountains with the wildlife. Then came the waves across the oceans, crashing on the shores with vacarme and the sounds of high winds.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Dolby Vision is technology that allows high-dynamic-range video to be provided in a backward compatible way. Ordinary TVs get the "core" 8-bit stream that has the normal, SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) video. HDR sets with Dolby Vision decode auxiliary (metadata) that comes in the side channel and combine it with the core to produce HDR images with 10 (or 12) bits of resolution. This is called "layer coding."

It is a good backward compatible solution but alas due to royalties Dolby is asking, not all the manufacturers are in love to hand Dolby that check. To wit, that is the reason Blu-ray format does not support Dolby Vision.

Note that there is no picture quality advantage with Dolby Vision. Its only benefit over standard HDR is backward compatible stream.

fas42

Major Contributor
Bob, just curious which display technology or equipment is capable of true HDR behaviour - that is, our eyes have to adjust to see the shading gradations in the bright areas versus dark areas; it would be impossible for most people to perceive the full range with "a single glance".

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Last edited:
OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Bob, just curious which display technology or equipment is capable of true HDR behaviour - that is, our eyes have to adjust to see the shading gradations in the bright areas versus dark areas; it would be impossible for most people to perceive the full range with "a single glance".

Several Frank; OLED, QuantumLED (QLED), LED, ...all 4K/HDR supporters. LG UHD OLED supports Dolby Vision, and Sony UHD LED too.

The metadata is read on a frame to frame basis! This is top technology.
_____

Bonus: https://www.dolby.com/OneColumnWide.aspx?pageid=6352

Last edited:

fas42

Major Contributor
Several Frank; OLED, QuantumLED, LED, ...all 4K/HDR supporters. LG UHD OLED supports Dolby Vision, and Sony UHD LED too.

The metadata is read on a frame to frame basis! This is top technology.
Okay, not quite sure that these will do what I'm talking about - you go out into the garden, look up into the sky, see the fine detail of the few clouds about - then drop your eyes and note the flowers in the shade under a tree. A conventional picture taking process will find these impossible to capture in a single frame, less alone reproduce on some medium. HDR, to live up to its name, needs to get this happening - is this possible?

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Okay, not quite sure that these will do what I'm talking about - you go out into the garden, look up into the sky, see the fine detail of the few clouds about - then drop your eyes and note the flowers in the shade under a tree. A conventional picture taking process will find these impossible to capture in a single frame, less alone reproduce on some medium. HDR, to live up to its name, needs to get this happening - is this possible?

Instead of just taking one photo, HDR uses three photos, taken @ different exposures. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_imaging

Dolby Vision goes even further, applying metadata on a frame to frame basis, constantly!

Essay:
It's like looking through reality with more clarity and more colors, contrast, brightness...because in reality everything is affected by the ambient light, our eyes adapt to a 360° visual environment (our field of view is roughly 180°, more or less, depending of people's eyes positioning on their faces), but what we don't see behind us affects what's on front of us, the light.

When you look @ a true 4K/HDR picture you see more details, more accurate colors, more 3-dimension moving images. And you don't have to wear 3D glasses.
Dolby Vision is like adding even more of everything moment by moment, fraction by fraction time-lapse.
Everyone should pay Dolby to have the privilege of advancing towards a brighter future. To go against the flow is like refusing to evolve, it's like not accepting others for what better they have to offer, it's like restricting your own vision. I think. But money is so powerful that many times it destroys the art of advancement. IMO
We'll just have to see...

Last edited:
OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Just some info links on Dolby Vision/HDR10 ... all that UHD/4K jazz ... from UHD TV manufacturers, UHD Blu-ray players, 4K Blu-ray format from the movie studios who support Dolby Vision.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/dolby-vision-coming-to-ultra-hd-blu-ray-ces-2017/
https://hdguru.com/tag/dolby-vision/

Disney is yet to join the high sky of the next picture dimension.
Sony Pictures is important too.

Dolby Vision @ home is highly desirable, I think. It sure beats 90% plus of all the movie theaters on this planet.
Only few theaters of high end videophiles (Hollywood elite), New York Broadway, Dubai, Paris, Vancouver, Montreal, Sidney, Rome, ...have some of what it takes.
If you live among the trees of the mountains and jungles, Dolby Vision gear @ home is the only way to go. Unless you can fly to Los Angeles each time you want to see a movie in Dolby Vision. The people from California, Hollywood area, Los Angeles, San Francisco are lucky to live in the movie capital of the world.
...La La Land.

fas42

Major Contributor
Bob, I still haven't got whether the display technology can do it - if it shows a HDR picture, in a single frame - and we take a picture of that displayed image using non-HDR picture taking gear - will the latter not be be able to capture the full dynamic range?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Bob, I still haven't got whether the display technology can do it - if it shows a HDR picture, in a single frame - and we take a picture of that displayed image using non-HDR picture taking gear - will the latter not be be able to capture the full dynamic range?
The dynamic range of original film or digital camera is far in excess of what the current non-HDR standards allow. Dynamic range is compacted before delivery for non-HDR. With HDR we can not deliver that "master quality."

On visibility of it, see my long article here: http://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...ge-hdr-and-wide-gamut-video-technologies.669/

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor

Frank, first I want to mention this: Yesterday I replied to your post in the "Declassification Underground Audio - Bass Management thread" in addressing you with 'Thomas' name. I corrected that; my apologies...I'm not used to the member's avatars, and quickly I thought I was replying to Thomas, sorry about that Frank.
It's been a while; one hundred and five days to be correct.

Now, I am not a video expert. I started this thread about Dolby Vision, and versus HDR for sure. We go along with each other contributing for our higher learning. That's the goal here; we're all teachers and students, but much more students. The teachers are the links we provide, the articles, and sometimes from the video pros themselves.

If a HDR picture is fully truly resolved on the screen, in all its splendor and accurate implementation and reproduction by all the proper working (all 4K/HDR standards observed to the highest letter) video components in the chain, including a certified UHD HDMI cable, and that we take a snapshot of it using a non-HDR camera, then no, we won't be able to fully realize/visualize the true impact. It won't show in that snapshot. The picture will look good still if taken @ say 1080p high-res, but short of 4K/HDR true advantage.

It is similar to a music youtube video taken from a cell phone's camera and microphone of a high resolution sound system playing a high-res audio music file or from an open-reel tape deck. The result will @ best be a simili representation that couldn't be compared with the real event in that venue. ...Comparing by itself with others simili representations, yes, closer that way to evaluate.
In visual I'd say it's a verisimilitude. But no way representative of the real deal, like being there...Live. ...If I can make this relation.

Is this what you were asking, Frank?
____

* I should add this: HDR on Blu-ray is so new that not all Blu-ray transfers are created equal; not all masters were used, or some were inferior copies, and the team of people transferring what the had with the tools they have, and with the level of expertise they have.
Brief, I've read that some regular Blu-ray transfers look better than their 4K Blu-ray transfers.
Out of roughly 125 4K BR movie titles, not all of them are that much superior looking than their regular Blu-ray discs. But generally yes, for people having all the gear in place and of premium quality, they see a considerable improvement. ...In particular from quality 4K/HDR OLED TVs and the better 4K front projectors.

Remember, this is still relatively new video technology for home. Not all systems are delivering the goods to be worthwhile. I'be read many hurdles yet that have to be 'dismantled'. ...Way of saying to "jump over without hurt".

One thing is clear; this is the rabbit following the money carrot. This is where the movie industry with all the video toys are banking their future assets, including Dolby Vision.
First the 4K Blu-ray format standards didn't include curved and 3D. So they killed them.
Curved I don't mind its oblivion, but 3D I do mind. But I also understand why; still way behind the "curve" of technology when it comes to high density physical BR medium, and also 3D on an OLED 4K TV reduces its overall brightness in 2D. And the competition is so fierce on high brightness screens that 3D is a handicap to it, very unfortunately but very reality-check too (like cheque, money).

There is more, ...for a future post in this very thread...

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I read somewhere that test subjects preferred regular HD with HDR vs Ultra HD without HDR.

Was I misunderstanding, or is that correct?

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
The dynamic range of original film or digital camera is far in excess of what the current non-HDR standards allow. Dynamic range is compacted before delivery for non-HDR. With HDR we can not deliver that "master quality."

On visibility of it, see my long article here: http://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...ge-hdr-and-wide-gamut-video-technologies.669/

Holly grail! I totally forgot about your article on HDR, or I would have post your link in replying to Frank.

Correct. Dolby Vision is an optional feature. The player has no obligation to support it. It is like DTS used to be in DVD versus mandator Dolby Digital.

So far LG and Oppo (4K BR players) are supporting it.
http://www.newswire.ca/news-release...-hd-blu-ray-player-at-ces-2017-609787445.html
http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/
...And I don't know why Sony is not there because some of its TVs do support Dolby Vision, so I expect perhaps from their 2nd gen of UHD BR players?

https://hdguru.com/dolby-vision-ultra-hd-blu-ray-support-awaits-mediatek-soc/

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I read somewhere that test subjects preferred regular HD with HDR vs Ultra HD without HDR.

Was I misunderstanding, or is that correct?

That's correct; I've read the same.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
With Sony Pictures that makes four Movie studios who are supporting Dolby Vision on the 4K Blu-ray disc format (along with Warner Brothers, Universal and Lionsgate): • http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=17574
____

And (quote from an above link - [HD] Guru):

Roland Vlaicu, Dolby Labs consumer imaging VP:

"Vlaicu pointed out the Blu-ray Disc Association, which developed the Ultra HD Blu-ray standard, recognizes Dolby Vision as part of the new UHD Blu-ray specifications. Dolby Vision is, in fact, one of the HDR formats that can be used on Ultra HD Blu-ray disc and decoded by an Ultra HD Blu-ray player, but that support is left to the voluntary discretion of the player manufacturer. Similarly, support for Dolby Vision HDR is left to the discretion of Hollywood studios on Ultra HD Blu-ray titles.

The HDR-10 format, on the other hand, is specified for mandatory support in players, and on Ultra HD Blu-ray discs that carry HDR, although studios are not required to support any 4K Ultra HD titles with HDR, but if they do, one of the formats must be HDR-10.

Vlaicu told us that Dolby Labs is “working closely with Hollywood studios, vendors of authoring tools and OEMs to incorporate Dolby Vision in future UHD Blu-ray discs and players to provide end-consumers with an astonishing viewing experience at home. At NAB, ATEME announced the addition of Dolby Vision into its TITAN solution, a video transcoding software for live and file applications. In addition, last year Sony Pictures Home Entertainment announced its plan to use the Dolby Vision mastering process for the release of 4k Ultra HD titles in the home. Both Scenarist and Sony DADC are working on integrating Dolby Vision into their disc authoring tools for UHD Blu-ray.”

Vlaicu explained that on UHD Blu-ray, “Dolby Vision is an enhancement layer on top of the generic HDR-10 layer. In order to read the Dolby Vision enhancement and to reconstruct the full fidelity 12-bit master, certain decoding blocks are needed on the chipset in the UHD Blu-ray player. These chips are forthcoming from Mediatek and will ultimately enable players with Dolby Vision.”

Dolby Vision and HDR-10 are similar in the benefits they deliver, but there are some differences. Which one is better ultimately will be up to each viewer to decide. For mastered content, the maximum target for Dolby Vision is 10,000 Nits of peak brightness, but this is well beyond what any consumer displays can achieve."

fas42

Major Contributor

Thanks Amir - however, it still doesn't quite answer my question on what current technology can do as regards, to use the "correct" term, peak brightness. This article seemingly gives some good info on where we're at, http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/peak-brightness, currently - the numbers there imply we are still well down on getting realistic dynamic range, unless various compression tricks are used.

Edit: I note the biggest number there is 400; in the above post it quotes 10,000 - there's a big gap to be covered ...

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
And I've read that Disney is likely to join Dolby Vision as well. Better that than abandon them like they did here with 3D, in North America...the land of the 3D free.

And if Disney joins Dolby Vision for their 4K Blu-ray movies (most very likely according to CNN the reliable news channel ;-) ); we know what that means...Disney is the master of quality when it comes to Picture & Sound, period. PIXAR 3D anyone? 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' (((3D))) on Blu-ray? Marvelous.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks Amir - however, it still doesn't quite answer my question on what current technology can do as regards, to use the "correct" term, peak brightness. This article seemingly gives some good info on where we're at, http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/peak-brightness, currently - the numbers there imply we are still well down on getting realistic dynamic range, unless various compression tricks are used.

Edit: I note the biggest number there is 400; in the above post it quotes 10,000 - there's a big gap to be covered ...
For the first time a standard is created that is well beyond capabilities of current displays. That is a good thing. So yes, you are right that we are not at all close to reaching 10,000 nits. At this CES the new displays were touted to output 1,500 nits. With a race going on, I expect this number to keep going up until such time that you can get a sun tan sitting in front of your TV. :D

Top Bottom