• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Canon 6D Mark II: lower cost full frame DSLR

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A nice option at $2000 for a full-frame sensor DSLR. Until now, the full frame sensor cameras (5DsR, 5D Mark 4 and 1Dx Mark 2) all cost $3,500 and up.

Autofocus points are pretty center focused (coming from 80D) but otherwise, doesn't seem to have many weaknesses. Love the full connectivity feature set of GPS, Bluetooth and WiFi.

Ships in July so not that far out.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It's a continuing ( unfulfilled) ambition of mine to take some photography lessons and buy a nice camera.. I'm stuck with the camera on my phone and just uneducated intuition to determine the quality of what I take..

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is a much easier hobby to get into than film days. So much more information. Such immediate feedback on your work.

It is an interesting field where both technical skills and art combine with each playing a strong role.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I bought a 6D several years ago. It nicely filled the gap between the $1000'ish and under small-format models and the $3000 and up full-frame models by providing a full-frame sensor with most of the features of the semi-pro and pro lines. Alas, it arrived the day we were packing to evacuate from a wildfire, and went into a box. The delivery guy was sympathetic and offered to just return it but I went ahead and tossed the box into the pile of other boxes we were loading to move when he arrived. Almost five years later it is out of the box but Life and Work have prevented me from doing much more than charge the battery.

The new version has some interesting improvements but nothing that has me drooling to get it. If I was looking to buy my first full-frame DSLR it would be at the top of my list though Nikon has generally had the edge in picture quality (if only slightly). And the new Sony's are also getting good press.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been an amateur photographer since I was 11.
I really miss the darkroom, I can't bring myself to sell the enlarger/lenses or processor even though they haven't been used for years.
OTOH producing excellent colour prints required a huge level of skill whereas using digital is about 100 billion times easier, skill wise.
Back in the day the level of skill required to get an in-focus, correctly exposed negative and produce an excellent print from it was very high, but the most important thing was always to "be standing in the right place and press the button at the right time" to paraphrase Ansel Adams and it still is, of course.
Technology has taken most of the skill out of the technical side of photography, though manual focus and exposure settings will often produce a better result in difficult conditions.
The artistic side still requires the good eye and understanding of light.

I have also collected cameras for decades and have a great interest in them as mechanical devices, in fact whilst my interest in hifi is mainly because I like listening to music my main interest in photography is fiddling with cameras.

The number of pictures people take nowadays is enormous. As a child my Dad had a camera which was only used on holidays and he rarely shot more than 1 film a year. I could afford to take about a film per month at first but never shot huge numbers but put a lot of thought into what I was trying to achieve before pressing the shutter.
Now my son takes as many pictures a day on his phone as my Dad did in a year, and I take far more in the digital era but print far fewer.

I find most modern digital cameras unnecessarily complex to use. I started with focus/aperture/shutter speed. Now there are multiple modes of each. Menu structures are often obtuse to my way of thinking. I used to use Olympus, Canon, Leica and Rollei film cameras. Rollei are long gone and of the others only the Leica has logical (to my way of thinking) controls.
Anyway as I get older I want smaller and my EOS 1Ds haven't been used for a long time I prefer a micro 4/3 Olympus when I have to carry them. The Oly 300mm f4 is tiny compared to my full frame 600mm f4 and the results in real world shooting conditions are at least as good.
I am quite impressed by the Sony A7 since it can be used with other makers lenses and adapters too.

D

Deleted member 65

Bought this camera 2015 including three lenses, intended to buy the portrait lens later. Year after I bought it Samsung decided to shut down their camera line. Anyways it fulfilled my demands and am quite happy with it, not being a photographer at all ...

upload_2017-6-29_19-53-45.png

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Bought this camera 2015 including three lenses, intended to buy the portrait lens later. Year after I bought it Samsung decided to shut down their camera line. Anyways it fulfilled my demands and am quite happy with it, not being a photographer at all ...

View attachment 7666
Ah, JBL are probably going to be the brand banner for the relaunch of this.. can't get any weirder for the JBL brand :D

The Smokester

I travelled for years with a Contax G2. When I replaced it with a Sony RX100 I was outraged that a memory card cost $72 and I would need two of them to cover a 3 week trip! After I calmed down a bit I figger'd out that I was saving about $1k for the equivalent in film + processing for the G2. :cool: Plus, I had taken to digitizing the slides in hirez so I could manipulate them in Photochop and that took hours of drudgery.

I think the G2 took better pictures, though often take less care with digital cause it's cheap and I have the (mistaken) mindset that it can be manipulated into what I thought I saw later.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It's a continuing ( unfulfilled) ambition of mine to take some photography lessons and buy a nice camera.. I'm stuck with the camera on my phone and just uneducated intuition to determine the quality of what I take..
I thought everyone just used their cell phones today? :)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I thought everyone just used their cell phones today? :)
Yea but...,
IMG_0949.JPG

At work Iv got being @amirm down to a tea, you know.., release data ( operating systems) half baked and once everyone buys it make them seem like arseholes for wanting it to all work right ( be accurate) but with a camera he's got me beat..

D

Deleted member 65

Public display of my long history as a failed photographer, shot with the now demised Samsung NX500 ...
Missing from my camera history is as far as I can remember - a German Voigtländer from my youth, Olympus first small system camera in the mid 70's, a Minox 35GT I had while working in Africa in Swedish Peace Corps ...

SAM_1186_zpsq3itotx4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I travelled for years with a Contax G2. When I replaced it with a Sony RX100 I was outraged that a memory card cost $72 and I would need two of them to cover a 3 week trip!
When I first going into digital, I wanted to have the largest card possible so that I would not run out of space. So I bought the biggest one I could, I think it was 4 or 16 gigabytes, and it cost almost $1,000! I actually bought another one for the same price. :) I remember taking the card out in front of photographers in Japan and they were shocked that anyone had a card that big!

What a joy it is to pick up a 256 gigabyte one now for peanuts. It holds so much that even my 50 megapixel camera space count runs out and just says "1999." Talk about poor programming/design!

D

Deleted member 65

Maybe not as crap photographer as I thought, we have a maternity ward in our garden for Bambi's. First one in avatar born a week ago.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Some of us are handcuffed to lifetime investments in Nikon glass.
Likewise I am stuck with Canon. As you know Canon had been falling behind Nikon in sensor noise and dynamic range. Now that they have integrated ADC in their sensors, these modern revisions of their older bodies make use less jealous of Nikon/Sony users. :)

Personally I am super happy with my 5DsR 50 megapixel camera but need a second one so that I don't have to swap lenses so much. I didn't want to shell out another $3,500 for that use so am eyeing this body as a competent full-frame second body.

The Smokester

I would love to upgrade my D700 which was an upgrade to an F5. But, I find all that stuff too heavy so it is never with me when I need it.

The Sony RX100 has been a good substitute for the G2 but my (early) version doesn't have a viewfinder which makes it hard to compose in bright light. Plus, it lacks the resolution/picture quality of the G2 and D700.

So, I'll soon be on the hunt for something new. DPReview here I come.

Any suggestions for a Sony RX100 upgrade?

Top Bottom