• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can You Hear It?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Gents

I have been making a recording of some relaxing nature sounds. Below is a link to the sounds of my local beach. Now I need to re-record this with some better windshields and I had to aggressively high pass filter to remove the problem, but its here for your interest anyway.

The other reason I have put it here is there is a technical problem with the recording and I want to see if anyone can hear it. We obsess about all sorts of tiny technical flaws but at the end of the day can you hear it?

Rode NT5 pair, my homebrew PCM422EVM ADC with Seventh Circle Audio T15 mic preamps

http://gofile.me/6r8Us/6SSCMfy7J

Burns Beach.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Beautiful picture.

Well, the recording level is so low by necessity of course the treble is non-existent as it gets too near the noise floor above 10 khz. Still I don't think that is what you had in mind.

After a bit of listening, didn't listen to it all, the balance between channels is off. The right seems to0 prominent or the left isn't quite enough depending upon your point of view.

Of course you may have something else in mind which once you reveal it will be blindingly obvious.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK, downloaded and listening as I type this. First, I agree it is super relaxing.

As for problems, it has extreme amount of close-in jitter. :D

At 11:00 minute or so the left channel crackles which tells me it is clipping there.

And yes, there is some odd peaking post 10 Khz:

upload_2017-5-17_7-57-47.png

But since I am deaf in that region, it doesn't bother me none. :)

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
In the source, it was a problem I was half expecting.

My problem was that my homebrew mic pre adc is mains 240v powered so I ran it off a crappy non sine wave 12v mains inverter from my motorbike cigarette socket :)

Dead cat wind shields and a pure sine inverter are on order :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw what you are referring to though the level on it is very low. You ordered the wrong solutions. An Entrec box would have fixed it right up.;)

Top Bottom