• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cable conduit for the new audio room.

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Making progress with the wiring for the new audio room.

iridium

20150330%20Conduit%20Before.JPG

Reactions: trl

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Your using that cheapo plastic conduit?
Medal conduit sure is safer and more dependable.
Also keeps the Union Workers busy bending pipe!

Don Hills

A sight to gladden the eye... lots of rebar in the concrete equipment plinths. Although I hope they've included proper vibration isolators... Here's some in use at a local power substation, a relevant topic with the recent earthquake activity here.

800px-Pole_3_building_seismic_base_isolator.jpg

OP
I

iridium

Out of necessity, first the rebar is placed, then the plastic conduit. Very difficult to bend metal conduit in modern construction between the rebar. This area must not be a highly stressed section, because if it is the contractor & engineer are making some serious mistakes; congestion . There needs to small grouping of conduits, or better yet, at a minimum spacing equal to twice the largest aggregate size around each individual conduit [note the section to the right with the large rebar & cage has better spacing].

These sections should be poured with a SCC [self consolidating concrete] with a low or very low w/c or w/b ratio [0.32 - 0.35]. In the last few decades the abbreviation w/c has become w/b; water/cement ratio is many times water/binder ratio due to the use of other pozzolanic materials [I personally dream of silica fume].

iridium.

OP
I

iridium

A sight to gladden the eye... lots of rebar in the concrete equipment plinths. Although I hope they've included proper vibration isolators... Here's some in use at a local power substation, a relevant topic with the recent earthquake activity here.

800px-Pole_3_building_seismic_base_isolator.jpg

We are using four similar ones from Japan under the turntable.

We also got a excellent deal on 24 similiar ones from a remodel [so they say] in Fukushima, Japan [?wherever that is?]. They were constructed with special materials that glow.

iridium.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
At first glance I thought it was some asskicker subwoofer install. :D

Don Hills

At first glance I thought it was some asskicker subwoofer install. :D

They're actually supporting a bidirectional LPS rated at 700MW. It's one end of a HVDC submarine cable link, converting AC to DC and vice versa. It's also unusual in having the "thyristor valves" (stacks of semiconductor diodes) suspended from the ceiling of the building instead of in floor mounted racks. This allows greater flexibility, therefore greater seismic activity resilience.

OP
I

iridium

UPDATE - we will have the most expensive cables in the world manufactured for the new room, Metallic Hydrogen conductors.
Squeezed hydrogen at 495 gigapascal, or more than 71.7 million pounds-per-square inch - greater than the pressure at the center of the Earth.
The result: atomic hydrogen which is a metal which is most likely a superconductor at room temperature.
It was a tough choice; either order the cables or pay off the national debt.

iridium.
Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-01-metallic-hydrogen-theory-reality.html#jCp

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
UPDATE - we will have the most expensive cables in the world manufactured for the new room, Metallic Hydrogen conductors.
Squeezed hydrogen at 495 gigapascal, or more than 71.7 million pounds-per-square inch - greater than the pressure at the center of the Earth.
The result: atomic hydrogen which is a metal which is most likely a superconductor at room temperature.
It was a tough choice; either order the cables or pay off the national debt.

iridium.
Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-01-metallic-hydrogen-theory-reality.html#jCp

You could totally sell this to audiophiles.

Metallic hydrogen cables? You know they'd pay through the nose for that.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

Metal conduit needs to get a silicon (plastified) outer shield to get it isolated; this will prevent shock hazard and short-circuit, this also prevents fire.

Today plastic conduit is fire retardant, does no short-circuit in case issues happen with the inside cables and can resist to 350Nm breaking force so should do well on most circumstances.

Top Bottom