• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

'Burn-in' how long is yours?

fas42

Major Contributor
I'd like some tests, sneak into a audiophiles home and replace all his 'burnt in' cables for brand new ones or swap out some component..

It's a intresting phenomenon, even if it's just psychological I'd love to know what's really going on.
It's a lot to do with triboelectric effects, static, IMO. Lay a cable on the ground, the physical parts are in tension from being orientated in a new position - over a period of time the materials settle into their new orientation, and 'relax'. Yes, the effects should not be audible but I've learned to worry about this - best is to use cables that have least worries with this.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
It's a lot to do with triboelectric effects, static, IMO. Lay a cable on the ground, the physical parts are in tension from being orientated in a new position - over a period of time the materials settle into their new orientation, and 'relax'. Yes, the effects should not be audible but I've learned to worry about this - best is to use cables that have least worries with this.
Yes, if you open a new interconnect cable that's been in a shrink-wrap package and without touching the connectors, measure across one connector using a sensitive high impedance voltmeter. You will see random noise voltages as the cable relaxes. But if you plug one end of another new cable into an audio source output connector, you won't see any noise.

fas42

Major Contributor
Yes, if you open a new interconnect cable that's been in a shrink-wrap package and without touching the connectors, measure across one connector using a sensitive high impedance voltmeter. You will see random noise voltages as the cable relaxes. But if you plug one end of another new cable into an audio source output connector, you won't see any noise.
What seems to be happening is that there is still noise there in many cases, just enough to be in that grey area on the edge of affecting audible qualities- the "did I hear something, or didn't I" space ... which is probably at the heart of lots of the anecdotal experiences of audio people.

Last edited:

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Mechanical devices need breaking in and then, and then, well, they begin a slow deteriation from that point. Electrical devices need stabilization and then , and then, they sound their best from that point on (if done right).

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I just wanted to check with admin if it's ok to add 'Steve Williams is an arse ' as my signature?
Keith
He's obviously a important man in you're life Keith , I'm starting to think he might of turned you down at the school prom or something :D

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I can't say I've ever concerned myself with 'break-in' for the stereo.

Another phobia avoided in my ignorance.

Did I miss a label?

" Do not run over 3,000Hz or at high load for the first 13.88 hours (1 billion cycles)."

Gee, that brings up some wonderment over how many cycles my woofer and panel have done over their 19 year life.

Does anyone make a zero-crossing counter for home use? Add an excursion estimator, and come up with a Speaker Odometer.

Somebody KickStart me!

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
He's obviously a important man in you're life Keith , I'm starting to think he might of turned you down at the school prom or something :D
He's often rude to King A, I don't like that and he is extremely dumb not that ,that is unusual on 'Whats a Brain' .

Keith

Top Bottom