• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

'Burn-in' how long is yours?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
upload_2017-2-28_7-57-26.png

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
2013 BURN-IN PROGRAM
Beginning 2013, all Zu loudspeakers receive 600 hours of near soak test level burn-in. This new system and schedule helps to ensure your new Zu speakers will wake up and perform quickly -- assuming that the room and gear are working well together, and you're playing the loudspeakers for roughly four hours a day, at normal daytime listening levels.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
http://donaldscarinci.com/the-truth-about-burn-in-for-audio-components/
In April I bought the new Meridian Explorer DAC and I selected the HiFiMan HE500 headphones and EF5 headphone amplifier. I bought all three around the same time so I could enjoy the high definition downloads from HDtracks in the early morning hours and at times when family members are around.

The manufacturers of these products recommend “burn in.” Meridian suggests 300 hours for the Explorer and instructions that come with the HiFiMan EF5 amplifier suggest 150 hours of “continuous use” to burn in the tube. Headphone and speaker burn in times vary between 75 hours and 500 hours depending on who you consult.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/blog/how-run-speakers

How do I run-in my speakers?

The most basic way to run in your speakers is to set them up with your system and use them normally. Usually the speakers will be sufficiently run in after a total of 20-30 hours of normal use and they will often continue to develop and improve for the first hundred or so hours.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Burn in, recently I had a replacement pair of speakers ( 12 months ago now) so I had run in the originals and the new pair sounded exactly the same right out the box.. possibly needed a hour or so the run in and acclimatise to room temperature..

That surprised me.. burn in is needed, just I think it's your ear brain mechanism that's 'burning in'. For that I'd say 100 hours should do it.

Before that expirence I'd often noticed big changes over the 'burn in' period, especially with my amps.. they seemed consistent after 400 hours.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Back in the real world, if burn-in only happens once in a component's lifetime, with the exception of tubes, burn-in is less than 10 seconds.

After long storage some components (like electrolytic capacitors) may need reforming time. Some loudspeakers may need a warm-up after non-use of several hours. Some circuits may take time for the bias to stabilize.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
'Burn-in' should last until just after the guarantee expires!
Keith

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
There is an argument for requiring burn-in time, especially for speakers, but the times quoted seem extreme to me and more likely it is the time to convince yourself it is worth all the money you just spent (and get past the return policy).

I measured burn-in on speakers ages ago and the vast majority occurred within minutes, sometimes hours, not days. On other components, it depended, mainly on the biasing, with SS taking seconds or less to minutes and tubes could take minutes to an hour or so. Measurable changes for either were pretty much over within a few minutes, however, in the sense that measured performance changed very little after that. Note some low-feedback designs and tubes in general could vary with time and temperature, as well as line voltage, so it was not always clear what exactly was changing.

FWIWFM - Don

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I'd like some tests, sneak into a audiophiles home and replace all his 'burnt in' cables for brand new ones or swap out some component..

It's a intresting phenomenon, even if it's just psychological I'd love to know what's really going on.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Cable burn-in is another issue. I have seen, and measured, most of the effects cable marketing espouses, but at levels well below what I would consider audible. The frequencies and impedances are just too low and noise floor too high in audio systems.

Last edited:

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
My favorite:

After many exhaustive hours of listening tests, I have determined that when a cable is burned-in, it is actually ruined. No cable should be used for more than a few hours, as the stresses on the insulation and the agitation of the copper molecules cause permanent changes to the structure of the cable - these changes are invariably for the worse, and fresh unused cables can be proven by listening tests to be superior in all respects.

The characteristics of the insulation change very subtly as the cable is stressed by signal voltages, and this has an as yet unexplained effect on the stereo imaging, and in particular causes veiling of the high frequencies and a loss of presence in the upper midrange. In extreme cases, the authority of the bass also suffers, with the lower registers lacking speed and power.

All the above defects are rectified by substitution of a new set of cables - the brilliance is restored and the finer details are brought back into startling realism. Bass speed is improved tenfold by a brand new unused mains cable, and new interconnects have a profound effect on the upper frequencies where detail is paramount.

I could say all these things (I just did :) and I would be lying through my teeth.

Rod Elliott

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
So do they finally turn positive instead of always being so negative, or just stay neutral?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The marketing puff for 'masterbate' cables is unbelievable , electrons bumping in to each other and yet some ( Steve Williams ) lap it up, how can they be so gullible?
Keith

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The marketing puff for 'masterbate' cables is unbelievable , electrons bumping in to each other and yet some ( Steve Williams ) lap it up, how can they be so gullible?
Keith
Come in Keith , if you buy a masterbuild/masterthief/master... cable you might get let back into WBF.

Bargain of the century.

fas42

Major Contributor
Burn-in, conditioning is an ongoing "issue", even at very pedestrian equipment levels - there's another vehicle in the garage, just acquired from a member of the family who's getting "better stuff". The audio unit looked quite decent, but on listening, pretty mediocre, almost awful - the treble was terrible, winding the knob for that to either end either gave you dead sound, or screech, screech, screech ... hmmm, let's give this a hammering, shall we? So did the hoon mobile thing, revved the guts out the radio unit, pushed it hard into compression for a decent period of time ... hallo, coming back to life again!! It's now sounding quite reasonable, on par for a car audio item, and can be enjoyed at a reasonable level.

The radio would have barely been on for ages, or listened to at very low volumes - everything was a bit stiff jointed, needed a good kick in the pants to make it lift its game.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Come in Keith , if you buy a masterbuild/masterthief/master... cable you might get let back into WBF.

Bargain of the century.
I just wanted to check with admin if it's ok to add 'Steve Williams is an arse ' as my signature?
Keith

Top Bottom