1. WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously.

Budget DAC Review: Schiit Modi 2 ($99)

Discussion in 'Audio Reference Library' started by amirm, May 13, 2017.

1. Sal1950

Sal1950 Major Contributor The Chicago Crusher

Going all the back to the 1980s Mike Moffat has shown an incredible amount of marketing savvy taking maximum advantage of the audiophool mentality. As you look back today with 20/20 hindsight on the roads paved by him and later adding Jason, you can see glimpses of psychology genius in his understanding of how to grab the imagination of the buyers. My hats off to him and since he doesn't dive too deeply into the waters of magic-dust snake-oil worthless products I find it hard to really criticize his business model.

Heck he even caught my eye with one of his latest products, the new Vidar power amp. Just a good ole fashion "Class-AB, linear-supply, microprocessor-controlled, power-doubling, dual-mono-ish, intelligently-managed, drives-almost-anything power amp. No Class D, no switching supplies, no fans, no compromises, nothing in the signal path but music—for a three-figure price tag." It does appear to have a totally different topology then the Ragnarok that gave JA issues but I'm not the EE here.
    Plus it's Made In The USA and has a 5 year warranty.
    http://www.schiit.com/products/vidar
    Since IMO it's probably a fully transparent High Fidelity amplifier if used inside it's performance envelope, it pushes most all my buttons. ;)
    After I'd seen a good JA type review of it, it would be very high on my list if for some reason I was looking to replace my Adcoms.

2. watchnerd

watchnerd Major Contributor Beer Hero

You could pair it with the Freya 3-in-1 (passive line, JFET buffered, or tubes) preamp. I have one and it's fun to play with, although the tubes are damn hot.

3. Cosmik

Cosmik Addicted to Fun and Learning

For me it would be a case of who I had the most faith in. Do I trust the 'maverick' purveyor of the DAC with a zero-crossing glitch and the amplifier with the 'innovative' bias servo or do I buy a Quad 306 for £150?

4. Sal1950

But your automatically attaching the Ragnarok's issues to the Vidar, I'm not sure you can do that and the reason I wanted to see it measured by JA or like first.
    Then there's the Made in USA thing. If I were a citizen of the UK the Quad would be of interest, but I live here. And I buy domestic products whenever possible.

5. Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88 Major Contributor

I think it probably uses the same microprocessor controlled bias system as the Ragnarok though I am not sure of that. I don't think I would want an amp with that. I also don't see the benefit. The things he says it allows hardly seem like big advantages and the giving short shrift to the problems seems backwards. My guess is it may act something like tube amps and transformers on sustained loud portions of music. It would give it a sound maybe even a 'nice' sound. I would prefer my amps don't do those sorts of things. Plug ins for playback software would be better for that. We already know it shut down on Chris due to the speaker cables he used.

The following is from the webpage for the Vidar.

Intelligent Oversight and Protection

In Vidar, a microprocessor oversees important aspects of amplifier operation, from DC offset to over-current and over-temperature faults. This provides stable, safe operation without invasive current-limiting, fuses, or active devices in the power supply path. In English, Vidar makes sure it’s operating optimally at all times—and protects itself when it needs to, so you can be assured of excellent performance for a long, long time.

This from the Ragnarok page.

Nothing In the Signal Path Except Signal

Ragnarok is an "intelligent" amplifier, using a microprocessor to oversee every aspect of its operation—from quiescent bias, to DC offset, to complete fault protection. It’s also designed so that any major problem mutes all the outputs and reverts the amp to its low-gain, zero volume mode. This means we can dispense with coupling caps and DC servos entirely, for a gain stage that has nothing in the signal path—except for your music.

Maybe they learned from the Ragnarok and it isn't doing quiescent bias, or maybe they decided simply not to mention that it does.

Off topic:

Maybe Amir should test out their Schiit Eitr USB buffering device.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  6. Palladium

Palladium Member

No Schitt, a power amp with protection circuitry? That's clearly has never been done before! :p

7. Sal1950

Maybe, and then maybe not, that's why your the EE and I'm not. ;)
    I saw the system simply as a protection device and not something that would inject any sound of it's own, as they claim.
    In any case I'm not buying anything, just saw the amp as something interesting in a world full of Class D, switching power, and a lot of stuff I'd pass on if possible.