• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blind taste test #2, Pink Floyd - Meddle

Favorite sample was:

• Sample A

• Sample B

• Sample C

• Samlpe D

• Sample E

Results are only viewable after voting.

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
TGIT because I don't work Fridays :D So here is Pink Floyd's Meddle for you guys to select what version sounded best to you.

F_pI1B.gif

• all of these are taken from CD, ripped in EAC (or other high quality extraction software that doesn't manipulate the audio)
  • combination of Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, early Japan discs, modern remasters, and some others
  • each file has a few different segments from different songs (each file has segments taken from the same disc)
  • files were prepared by someone else that did a very good job and he gave me permission to use them
  • ReplayGain was the only thing added to the files
  • these files do sound closer to each other than the first test I did, and my one tip is you might have to play them a bit loud to suss out differences
  • please don't analyze them in an audio editor before listening
  • you can vote on up to 2
  • like last time I'll reveal the results after voting has slowed
  • and of course... have fun!
Download

fas42

Major Contributor
No contest ... sample B by a long way, then came sample E significantly further behind, the rest were lost in the weeds. B had texture, good space, sweetness - one got lost in the sound of what the music was doing straight away - most of the other samples, in comparison, were pop clips going through the motions; boredom, so to speak, set in quite quickly. This was just through the standard laptop speakers, with a decent level of optimising of the playback configuration.

A slight cheat - I converted to WAV first, for best playback ...

TBone

Major Contributor
doesn't replay gain change the dynamic structure of the entire song instead of simply normalize?

I've actually already done this test to some degree. I've a few Canadian versions, early Japanese pressings, an original UK and the MFSL remaster. Note that some early Japanese Floyd CDs (can't remember if Meddle was one) used pre-emphasis, requiring post EAC intervention. Without such, they could sound way too bright in comparison.

OP
H

hvbias

doesn't replay gain change the dynamic structure of the entire song instead of simply normalize?

I've actually already done this test to some degree. I've a few Canadian versions, early Japanese pressings, an original UK and the MFSL remaster. Note that some early Japanese Floyd CDs (can't remember if Meddle was one) used pre-emphasis, requiring post EAC intervention. Without such, they could sound way too bright in comparison.

I believe it was only certain DSOTM and WYWH Japan discs that had pre-emphasis. Which were some of the earliest PF CDs to come out in Japan.

I guarantee none of the discs in this test had it.

TBone

Major Contributor
Can the test be presented without ReplayGain?

OP
H

hvbias

Can the test be presented without ReplayGain?

You can strip away the ReplayGain in Foobar2k. Feel free to do that if you wish.

DR meter results are no different with and without ReplayGain. Someone more qualified will have to answer if it actually changes dynamics. I have never heard objectivist audiophiles say it does that.

TBone

Major Contributor
You can strip away the ReplayGain in Foobar2k. Feel free to do that if you wish.

yes indeed, forgot about foobar.

few years ago, I went on a Meddle hunt, both LP and CD. Differences using the opening bass line on One Of These Days became very apparent, none of the LPs (admittedly limited to only a few remastered pressings, no "audiophile" or originals) could duplicate the silent depth of field, width, and especially the superb separation of the early CDs.

OP
H

hvbias

yes indeed, forgot about foobar.

few years ago, I went on a Meddle hunt, both LP and CD. Differences using the opening bass line on One Of These Days became very apparent, none of the LPs (admittedly limited to only a few remastered pressings, no "audiophile" or originals) could duplicate the silent depth of field, width, and especially the superb separation of the early CDs.

I have a UK original on the Harvest label with 1u matrix on both sides, I've never compared it to digital versions.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

No.

It simply normalizes by whatever value (typically a reduction) the algorithm determines will bring the track to the target loudness. As per wikipedia:
ReplayGain nominally plays at -14 dB relative to full-scale leaving 14 dB of headroom for reproduction of dynamic material. In contrast, the SMPTE RP 200:2002, on which the ReplayGain reference was originally based, recommends 20 dB of headroom. The more recent EBURecommendation R 128 suggests 23 dB.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

I found this: http://pinkfloydarchives.com/DiscTOC.htm

That's a very extensive list, and it should mention the versions with pre-emphasis. I couldn't find 'Meddle' as one CD title included on that list with such.

OP
H

hvbias

I found this: http://pinkfloydarchives.com/DiscTOC.htm

That's a very extensive list, and it should mention the versions with pre-emphasis. I couldn't find 'Meddle' as one CD title included on that list with such.

NorthSky did you take part in this test? You had some fine opinions in my first test. I didn't vote yet so I can't see if you did or not :)

fas42

Major Contributor
NorthSky did you take part in this test? You had some fine opinions in my first test. I didn't vote yet so I can't see if you did or not :)
Everyone's being a bit slack ... only one person has voted, :rolleyes: ...

NorthSky

Major Contributor

Not yet, but I will. I'm just so busy right now still gathering a big pile of emotions from Rio de Janeiro in Brazil for the latest Olympic summer games.
And many of those stories obviously keep on going, including this: http://hollywoodlife.com/2016/08/22...16-rio-olympics-closing-ceremony-outfit-pics/

And this: http://news.nationalpost.com/sports...gentle-hair-removal-ralph-lauren-and-airweave

Also, I trust Frank's judgement. :)

Gimme couple days...

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Ok, I was going to do the test. But I have to sign in to download! ...So I skipped because I'm already signed in with Google, but they brought me back right in again @ signing in. Is there a way to download the files without going through this process?

EDIT: I got it now.
This is not my final assessment, it's just a brief overall impression from only the two tiny speakers of my laptop.
Next I'll have to use my Sennheiser headphones. I could also use my main rig but I think that for this test the headphones would do.

Ok, just from the laptop's own mini speakers:
1. My volume level was very low, so from that aspect it wasn't fair.
2. I listened to only the first two segments from each of the five samples.
3. I listened to each sample about five times.
4. I am not voting yet, not till I listened to all samples in their entirety (2:10 times 5) and @ least couple times each if not three times, plus some replay to make sure.
I figure I need an hour or so to be fair play. ...Or @ minimum half hour.
5. I'll do the serious ♫ listening or later on today...this evening, or tomorrow.

So far I think E and B might have a slight edge, but I'm about sure as something like 25% or so, less more likely.

To be continued...

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I just re-checked the above posts from other members, just for curiosity.

I own three different versions of 'Meddle' on CD, and two on LP.
I listened extensively to my first LP many moons ago when I was still a teenager; we probably all did.

Frank's first above post has no influence on me, but I must admit that the guy is always right...even when you think he's nut. :D
Frank is the most polite man of the Internet. I never saw him hurt an ant, a spider or even kill a simple fly with an electric flyswatter...never. :)
...Very true. And I know Frank virtually for roughly a good fair number of years, and from here, over there, and more...up to the heavens.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So many taste tests here right now and so little time. :(

Top Bottom