• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bias removal challenge: "Setting up a system for a friend"

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
TIM, Welcome back! I was wondering where you'd been. Missed your always insightful additions to the forum.
Hope all has been well with you.

Agreed. We need more input from The Ponk.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Sal. I moved and got really busy with other things for awhile.

Tim

Well add me to the list of those glad to see you posting again. Always enjoyed your postings.

So does a move mean you finally got into a place with a huge cavernous listening room so you can put together the music system of your dreams?

Phelonious Ponk

Well add me to the list of those glad to see you posting again. Always enjoyed your postings.

So does a move mean you finally got into a place with a huge cavernous listening room so you can put together the music system of your dreams?

No, the other way around, I'm afraid. I've moved from Charlotte, NC, to Carrboro (think Chapel Hill; Carrboro is basically its Bohemian neighborhood). I have a third of a triplex here. About 850 square feet. So small speakers are the thing. The same active Avi 9.1s I've had for years. They don't quite sound right to me anymore, though. Aging ears I suppose. My latest audio acquisition is a 1943 Gibson LG-2. All analog. And the midrange is to die for. :)

Tim

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
About 850 square feet. So small speakers are the thing.
Ah, a major downsize move like myself. My digs here are right at 800 sq also. Did you also take your retirement?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yes, retirement, followed by divorce. Living small and enjoying it.

Tim
Congrats, and sorry to hear that. :confused:
The retirement part is awesome, I've never been happier.
The other not so much, been down that road 3 times.
Talk about a major life adjustment. Hang in there bro.

OP
oivavoi

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, a major downsize move like myself. My digs here are right at 800 sq also. Did you also take your retirement?

Guys, stop calling your apartments "small"! It's more than what I have, and I have to fit a girlfriend with lots of shoes and clothing in here as well! AND I have heavy bass leakage to my neighbors so can't play bass loud, and my neighbor downstairs has a dog who's barking all the time.

Btw, sorry to hear about your divorce, Phelonius. Hope you're finding things to enjoy in your new life. And great to have yoy posting here!

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
This is a good summary of some of the bias tempering techniques Daniel Kahneman recommends.

https://hbr.org/2015/05/outsmart-your-own-biases

Looking at things from the so called "outside" perspective is very helpful. It's also a good idea to conduct a "premortem" before beginning a big project. IOW, imagine that you've completed your project and it's turned out to be a complete failure. You then ask yourself why has it failed.

OP
oivavoi

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a good summary of some of the bias tempering techniques Daniel Kahneman recommends.

https://hbr.org/2015/05/outsmart-your-own-biases

Looking at things from the so called "outside" perspective is very helpful. It's also a good idea to conduct a "premortem" before beginning a big project. IOW, imagine that you've completed your project and it's turned out to be a complete failure. You then ask yourself why has it failed.

Thanks! Very cool. I guess what prompted me to start this thread was the technique he calls "the outside view". The rest of the advice is excellent as well.

Phelonious Ponk

Thanks for the kind thoughts, guys. The divorce was a long time coming, and was a life-saving necessity. I live alone well. I need to remember that. I'm now a 20 minute walk from my daughter, son in law, and two grand daughters. It's all good.

Tim

Top Bottom