• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best version of cat Stevens tea for the tillerman?

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well the 2011 scad is far far far superior, no nasty top end weirdness. A little less edgy though, that pure emotion of his music going from placid and wistful to a more aggressive tone is a little tempered imo.

B0015571-06

TBone

Major Contributor
Thomas, your SACD, both the CD / SACD layers apparently share the same mastering. You being into no-pony-tail metal, it should be noted that Ted Jensen mastered Tea, he also mastered the brutally compressed Metallica Death Magnetic.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Thomas, your SACD, both the CD / SACD layers apparently share the same mastering. You being into no-pony-tail metal, it should be noted that Ted Jensen mastered Tea, he also mastered the brutally compressed Metallica Death Magnetic.
Umm.. He probably just did what lars told him to:D

TBone

Major Contributor
Umm.. He probably just did what lars told him to:D

Apparently, he claimed the sound/compression/limiting were all inherit to his source.

DR4 over -5.39 dB 01 That Was Just Your Life.wav
DR4 over -5.18 dB 02 The End Of The Line.wav
DR3 over -4.17 dB 03 Broken, Beat & Scarred.wav
DR2 over -3.81 dB 04 The Day That Never Comes.wav
DR3 over -3.99 dB 05 All Nightmare Long.wav
DR3 over -3.92 dB 06 Cyanide.wav
DR4 over -6.25 dB 07 The Unforgiven III.wav
DR3 over -3.82 dB 08 The Judas Kiss.wav
DR4 over -5.02 dB 09 Suicide & Redemption.wav
DR3 over -3.59 dB 10 My Apocalypse.wav

The part I find interesting; their fans protested the mastering.

Considering the type of music, you'd think they'd be used to it.

TBone

Major Contributor
Well the 2011 scad is far far far superior, no nasty top end weirdness. A little less edgy though, that pure emotion of his music going from placid and wistful to a more aggressive tone is a little tempered imo.

B0015571-06

Thomas, you listen to both the CD and SACD layer?

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Thomas, you listen to both the CD and SACD layer?
Yes, I know it's sacrilegious but often I take Redbook over SCAD. In this case though if there are differences they are small.

Possibly the SACD has a little more air and is more genteel,some micro detail seems more obvious, a little fuller in the mid range, a little more weight to low notes, with the CD layer being a little harder,a little leaner, a little more revealing of the change of intensity when Stevens springs forth in a more agressive tone. That switch up is better served by the CD layer imo.

That's one of the things I love about the album, the raw vocal and resistance to over production, again these qualities are best served by the PCM layer imo but I can see others disagreeing. Most like that polite SACD varnish.

Rather than one being crap, it's a close one..I can enjoy both but most likely stick to the CD layer.

It sounds silly to say but I think the Cd layer is more honest. Generally that's always been my feeling with SACD and Redbook but I have a few single layer SACD's that break the trend but then you may well be dealing with other mitigating factors in the mastering and transfer etc.

I know I am most likely in the minority and am opening myself up to ridicule.

TBone

Major Contributor
Possibly the SACD has a little more air and is more genteel, a little fuller in the mid range, with the CD layer a little harder, a little more revealing of the change of intensity when Stevens springs forth in a more agressive tone. That switch up is better served by the CD layer imo.

I get it because I can relate the exact same experiences. A few years ago, I was at TAVES and one room was playing The Police on a Marantz SACD player, but only the CD layer. When I inquired why, they said the CD layer was preferable. In another room, I sat besides James Tanner, Bryston, listening to his system, but only in 16/44 mode. I asked why he didn't play a higher rez take, replying; he'd prefer people judge his gear with regular cd quality. It sounded just fine to me.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
( I put a little more flesh on the bone on my previous post) .

Yea.. That's Intresting to hear tbone, maybe you can save me from the DSD lynch mob:D

Another statement that opens me to ridicule, I am more for music than HIFI.. The frail, the hope, the joy, the agony, the love, the hate.. If those things don't get communicated to me I could not give a toss about perfect soundstage and all those HIFI obsessions.

A hell of a lot of HIFI and indeed audiophiles bemuse me to be honest. That's not helped by hanging out on forums let alone managing one:D

TBone

Major Contributor
The DSD lynch mob, like the format itself, has been, and will continue to be, lynched by time.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
But we (ASR) haven't been hacked, yet.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm still playin my MFSL 1-035 needle drop. It was a very nice pressing and the vinyl nasties aren't annoying enough to make me want to buy a digital copy to replace it.

I still get surprised at how my many of you are still spinning CD's, Everything lives on my hard drive now and I pass the CD's on to friends or charity.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I still get surprised at how my many of you are still spinning CD's, Everything lives on my hard drive now and I pass the CD's on to friends or charity.

So why haven't you ripped your LPs too? (or, maybe you have, what do I know)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm still playin my MFSL 1-035 needle drop. It was a very nice pressing and the vinyl nasties aren't annoying enough to make me want to buy a digital copy to replace it.
So why haven't you ripped your LPs too? (or, maybe you have, what do I know)
Yea, I did, I ripped everything before my move from Chicago down here in 2010. Did a full tuneup on by vinyl rig (new belts, etc) and plugged my PS Audio phono preamp directly into Audicity for the chores, then sold all the vinyl gear. Over 400 LP's now on the HD.

Top Bottom