• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bacch-SP at Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
We are delighted to be able to represent the fabulous Bacch-Sp cross cancellation system.
Bacch shared a room in Munich with Weiss, who have made a loudspeaker based on the Bacch technology.

Keith

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Keith - it is controversial, I know. Don't mean to put you on the spot, but does this really signify a significant, lasting new trend, forever changing the concept of stereo as we know it? I have no doubt it is uniquely different sounding, but with some downsides like limited sweet spot, etc. I have read about it, both pro and con.

I applaud your being so venturesome into new approaches and equipment. I wish there were a dealer within 200 miles of me as willing to test new ideas. No luck here in Philadelphia.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Fitz it won't be for everyone, it is expensive although Bacch's latest models are cheaper, but it is more like how 'real' sound propagates , i.e. without the intermodulation.
If you are interested in sound reproduction and can afford why wouldn't you?
Keith

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"In last year’s High End report, I raved about Princeton University professor Edgar Choueiri’s great demo of his BACCH-SP system, which uses in-ear microphones to measure the way your ears perceive the sound from your system, then uses digital signal processing to cancel crosstalk between the left and right speakers and produce an incredibly realistic stereo soundstage. Great as the demo was, though, the $54,000 processor seemed more like an awesome science project than a real product.

Choueiri and his colleagues spent much of the last year incorporating feedback they received from people in the audio industry, and the result is two new BACCH-SP products that, while still quite costly, are much more practical for use in a high-end system: the $18,500 Dio, which has digital input and output only, and the $23,800 Adio, which puts the BACCH-SP technology into a fully integrated DAC-preamp with analog and digital inputs."

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/ind...0-high-end-2017-bacch-is-back-and-even-better

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Fitz it won't be for everyone, it is expensive although Bacch's latest models are cheaper, but it is more like how 'real' sound propagates , i.e. without the intermodulation.
If you are interested in sound reproduction and can afford why wouldn't you?
Keith
Thanks, Keith. I am not at all sold on their conceptual listening model. Kal Rubinson has heard it. And, Princeton is not too far away from me. But, like Kal, I will be sticking with Stone Age 5/7.1.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Thanks, Keith. I am not at all sold on their conceptual listening model. Kal Rubinson has heard it. And, Princeton is not too far away from me. But, like Kal, I will be sticking with Stone Age 5/7.1.
Yes, I have heard it a few times and, I must admit, that it was better each successive time. I am still not won over but Edgar and I are trying to arrange a review.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
If the price keeps halving each year I'll get one in 2021 0r (I'm patient) 2022.

There's one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THEORETICA-...210627?hash=item1c756dbe03:g:9FIAAOSwiONYLWuV

upload_2017-6-25_20-35-24.png

Pretty stiff depreciation there...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I haven't heard one (of course) so ...

Concerning Crosstalk cancellation:

Play 400hz from the left speaker, 405Hz from the right. Hear 5hz beating/interference pattern (as expected). Both ears are hit with similar waves that add to and subtract from each other. A single microphone would pick up the wave and its cancellation.

upload_2017-6-28_16-20-58.png

Now, listen with headphones, for perfect cross-talk cancellation. You still hear the 5Hz beating, manufactured in your brain, since each ear only receives a non-beating steady tone.

Scientifical Conclusion:

???

Last edited:

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the price keeps halving each year I'll get one in 2021 0r (I'm patient) 2022.

There's one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THEORETICA-...210627?hash=item1c756dbe03:g:9FIAAOSwiONYLWuV

View attachment 7621

Pretty stiff depreciation there...

Having seen me on the forums (principally WBF), the gentleman selling the BACCH-SP on eBay contacted me to ask about my interest. I made an offer, but the seller told me--contrary to his ad--that I had to pay by wire transfer only. Moreover, he was reluctant to allow me to make the quick flight down to Toulouse to inspect the unit.

He then told me he had gotten a higher offer and that the device was sold. Now it is back on eBay. Hmm.

I should just purchase from Keith, I think.

Top Bottom