• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AXPONA 2017: Wilson Alexx Speakers, D'Agostino amplifiers, dCS DAC

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This massive suite was presented by the dealer for all Wilson, D'Agostino, dCS, etc. It was by far one of the most annoying experiences for me at the show.

First they had a rope and made people wait for 30 minute demos. I stood there for 10 minutes before they let us in, only to see the last group wonder around and have conversation with the reps. This went on for some 10 to 15 minutes while we all sat there in our chair, polite like school children.

Then it becomes our turn and we think we are going to hear music. But no. First a speech by the store owner. Then another speech by Wilson guy. Then one by D'Agostino. Are we done yet? No, let's call in the cable guy to give his speech. We get to listen now, yes? NO! Let's have the guy who supplied the rack come and give us his sales pitch. Are you kidding me? I am asking, are you kidding me? 30 minutes gone by and we still haven't gotten anything out of this demo.

093A9019.jpg
093A9010.jpg
093A9011.jpg
093A9012.jpg
093A9013.jpg
093A9014.jpg
093A9015.jpg
093A9016.jpg
093A9017.jpg
093A9018.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As you see here:

index.php

Some money-no-object customer had asked for a more powerful amp than what D'Agostino puts out so they built a custom version that is bridged. Seems like a hack to me but it did play loud.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Three Little Words by Milt Jackson & John Coltrane. https://shz.am/t10886608

Typical of Wilson they had the speakers way, way too far away. On this track it became ridiculous. It was as if there were two different stereos playing, one on the left and one the right. There was a giant hole in the middle where nothing was there. This was a classic example of someone focused on building speakers, but not understanding room acoustics. And a presenter picking the wrong music that accentuated the problem.

I went way back behind all the seats and there, it sort of, kind of, struggled to be a stereo system with the sound from two speakers kind of approaching each other.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Couldn't Stand The Weather by Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble. https://shz.am/t345694

Store owner then says the demo can't finish without him playing one of his favorite tracks. This time on LP:

Well, no, he should not be playing what he likes. He should play what sounds good and this LP did not. Gritty and bright. At high volumes played it was hard to listen for that long.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you ever hear music? (okay cross posted) Yes, that would annoy me. Depending upon my level of crankiness I either would leave pretty quickly or I would stand up, interrupt and ask were these companies mostly about music or sales.

Oh, and the STROMTANK for some reason cracks me up.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For the $30,000 cost of the STROMTANK there is a creek near me. I would have a small damn built and get my own dedicated cool and clean power from a little hydroelectric unit. Sometimes it is clear this upper end market has gone bat-shit crazy and only for those with tremendous bucks to spare.

My other option might be to purchase 40 acres in an area where no one else lives (otherwise it would cost too much) and let the forest and lack of anything lower my in room noise floor by a dozen decibels which would be much more than I believe that STROMTANK could do. For that price it seems the STROMTANK should include a TESLA Powerwall for base power before final conditioning by the STROMTANK. Are these guys serious or simply playing around??:p

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Great to see someone being straight forward.
This is basically high-end crap. Speakere like these exhibit serious phase issues. At least they could have made the speaker active to minimize the problems. But hey, it's a lot better so make it passive so the audiophiles can buy their ridiculous expensive amps to brag about.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Asserting confidence and renforcing brand identity, its classic ' sell to the ignorant ' tactics.. I bet those audiophiles who are in the market to spend love that shit.

I would of walked out.... or fronted up with some skrillex to break the speakers with ...

After that wakes them all up I'd put this on and walk out...

CAP

Being a Wilson guy I was less than happy with that demo..I live close to Paragon and have heard better from them.. That being said the Yevett room was delightful I thought.. Those little 3 ways can sing ! Remember we all hear different as we all see different !

Top Bottom