• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC join Purité Active Loudspeaker roundup!

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
If you would like a pair, the other measurements 100cm and 150cm away I posted on the Purité Audio site.
Keith

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
TBH, I have very mixed emotions about ATC these days. I've heard their classic actives in control rooms before and like them very much.

On the other hand, the electronics seem a bit dated these days compared to monitors with DSP crossovers, Class D amps, and (sometimes) digital inputs (Kii, Dutch & Dutch, KEF LS50 Wireless, JBL 7 P series, etc.).

Drivers are still beyond beefy and reproach, though.

Hopefully they have plans to modernize the electronics. It would be a shame if they ruled that out for technical religious reasons.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Perhaps ATC are trapped within their own demographic, Ben Lilly told me that they use MiniDSP kit for crossover prototyping , but wouldn't implement a DSP crossover in production speakers.
Chris at Kii states that it needed a new 'clean slate' company to manufacture the Kii THREE because a traditional company would be harming the rest of its range.
I honestly believe manufacturers such as Dutch & Dutch Kii, and B&O are harbingers of the future and these type of speakers will be the norm in just a few years.
Keith

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Interesting, although I can see their target audience being skeptical of DSP crossovers and Class D amps.

@Purité Audio I'm a bit confused by the tweeter options in the various forms of the ATC50.

From the website, it looks like the SCM50 SE has the ATC-made "S" series tweeter (SH25-76S):

http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/loudspeakers/special-editions/scm50se/

But the Classic SCM50ASL and the SCM50 Anniversary have the previous Vifa-made tweeter (different face plate, no reference to SH25-76S)

http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/loudspeakers/classic-series/scm50/

http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/loudspeakers/anniversary-editions/scm50-anniversary/

Is that correct?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I believe all the recent 'pro' speakers 50/100/150 have the new tweeter but I can check?
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, even with currency conversion ($17991), that's a significant discount to the price in the US. And that's not including the rebatable VAT.

The black butch, domestically unfriendly SCM50ASLPro is $15k USD and the "home" version is ~$20k.
Well I suppose a US customer is paying the freight of large heavy boxes from UK to USA and a markup for the importer, a bit like if we buy a US made speaker here, typically 40% more expensive than in their domestic market.

Oh and for conventional class B amps with linear power supply that needs re-designing for 110 volts, though that is easy and at one time was dealt with by using a transformer with multiple primary windings which could be switched to connect in series or parallel.

Top Bottom