• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Archimago HW-Decoded MQA Test

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Very long article, but probably the best write-up and test of HW-decoded MQA currently available (yes, I'm pointing at you Computer Audiophile, DAR, TAS, and Stereophile).

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/02/comparison-hardware-decoded-mqa-using.html

Some pretty interesting conclusions, like:

"3. When comparing TIDAL software MQA decoding with hardware decoding from the Mytek Brooklyn, the output is in fact very very similar. Sure, the Brooklyn hardware/firmware decode does seem more "accurate" than the TIDAL software decode, but I'm just not impressed that I hear a difference."

"With such high levels of correlation null depths, I was simply not able to ABX differentiate the TIDAL software decoding from hardware decoding using Mytek's Brooklyn with any consistency."

There is much much more...well worth the read.

astr0b0y

I really enjoyed reading this article too (is he active on here?)
Will MQA files ever be available to "own" and store on my local hard drives I wonder. I'm interested to see if I can tell Redbook vs MQA apart at home.

JoeWhip

There are MQA titles for sale at highresaudio.com. Audirvana 3.0 due for release next month will enable the same type of playback as Tidal for MQA files. When I upgrade I may snag an MQA title for a listen.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I really enjoyed reading this article too (is he active on here?)
Will MQA files ever be available to "own" and store on my local hard drives I wonder. I'm interested to see if I can tell Redbook vs MQA apart at home.
For sure, the labels are already starting to transcode their catalogs to MQA. If Meridian has their way all the HDA files now on HDTracks, etc will all be MQA coded so if the compare you want isn't available now it will be shortly.

Top Bottom