• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aqua Audio Formula Optologic DAC

Mivera

Major Contributor
Headphone output specified at 1.5ohms eh? Krell must be quaking in their boots.... With the 127dB SNR they had no need of the latest chip, they threw away 13dB.

It probably uses ESS's new headphone amp as well. Second order effects within the chip are also improved with a much lower noise floor. There's more to what goes on inside of gear than what 2-3 industry standard measurements can tell you.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 65

I sincerely hope Westlake does deliver a product, I fear the whole debacle could be just a huge 'Ponzi' scheme.
Keith.

I don't think it's a "Ponzi" scheme, just a case of no project planning and a scope creep out of this world.

John W will attend Munich showcasing FDAC's Analogue & Digital board including the Detox-thingie also meeting with Chinese production partners. My current guesstimate is FDAC released to us sponsors Q2 2017, but let's see, I've been wrong before.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
We will see, is the fifth year since the project started?
Keith

Mivera

Major Contributor
We will see, is the fifth year since the project started?
Keith

Well at least it keeps getting better as new chips come out. Imagine how good it will be by 2022!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It's amateur hour, and yet his fanboys lap it up, unbelievable really.
Keith.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Joking aside I truly hope he does deliver something , five years is rather a long wait !
Keith.

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Joking aside I truly hope he does deliver something , five years is rather a long wait !
Keith.

I totally agree, lost patience a number of times during this so far 5 year journey. Even offered a couple of years back to PM the project (me being PM in IT/Banking) free of charge. Sad to say my offer was turned down.

Opus111

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Quote I just found over on 6moons, written by Srajan -

I've repeatedly been told that the basic application notes for the Sabre chips will not lead to superior sound; that one must alter the firmware, bypass on-chip filters or employ other tricks of the trade to really get the best from these ICs.

The question tickling me is this one - why would ESS want to put anything other than the best possible sounding circuit in their app notes?

OP
D

Deleted member 65

I've repeatedly been told that the basic application notes for the Sabre chips will not lead to superior sound; that one must alter the firmware, bypass on-chip filters or employ other tricks of the trade to really get the best from these ICs.

The question tickling me is this one - why would ESS want to put anything other than the best possible sounding circuit in their app notes?

This is what John Westlake did when developing the AudioLab MDAC (Sabre 9018 based), bypassing known bug in the 9018 aso with filters. For the FDAC which originally was designed for the 9018 he intended similar tricks, these won't work in the 9038 therefore 9028 was chosen.

Mivera

Major Contributor
This is what John Westlake did when developing the AudioLab MDAC (Sabre 9018 based), bypassing known bug in the 9018 aso with filters. For the FDAC which originally was designed for the 9018 he intended similar tricks, these won't work in the 9038 therefore 9028 was chosen.

The real problem is the pinout on the 9028 is identical as the 9018. So it's a drop in replacement. The 9038 has an extra pin.

Mivera

Major Contributor

ESS uses the best filter/modulators possible in a small low powered chip. But there's limits to what's possible. To go beyond these limit much more powerful processor's must be used. You can't expect a chip the size of a dime to be able to process the same algorithms as a powerful quad core I7 processor.

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Back on topic: Axpona day two, anything to report on the Aqua DAC Amir?

Mivera

Major Contributor

Mivera

Major Contributor
thats.... Exspensive but is it good value?

It looks well built for an R2R. Sonny may have a point about opto couplers degrading over time. Personally I think you will never beat a purist 1 bit design with a powerful software based SRC/SDM engine. MSB has probably taken R2R tech to the highest level possible and users of their $50000+Diamond DAC upgraded with Femto 33 clock are getting better sound bypassing the R2R and using HQplayer converting PCM to DSD using the 1 bit DSD section. The R2R section is where the majority of the money goes buying that DAC.

fas42

Major Contributor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
any technical insights from developers?
No. The person doing the demo simply stated what we already know about its design. I took pictures of it which i will post later.

Top Bottom