• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alex of Uptone hypocrisy unbounded.

fas42

Major Contributor
But there isn't the time in the universe to prove all audiophile superstitions right or wrong. Nor is it actually possible to prove them right or wrong (as I was saying in another thread). All you have left is to weigh up the likelihood of whether a "pet rock" being promoted by a person of dubious technical or philosophical qualifications, will change the sound even though its effects cannot be measured by any test you can devise.
A simple truth in audio is that everything one does and thinks will change the sound, or will apparently change the sound - some are 'real', some are not. The crazy ones most likely are in the "not" category - but I have encountered "crazy" effects: doing something which makes no sense at all, at the time, causes a change in sound - sometimes only after years does it all come together and the chain of cause and effect reveals itself more clearly.

So, audio people are well used to "crazy" stuff - because, well, some of it isn't so crazy after all ... the hassle is that separating the crazy but real, from the really crazy, is not always trivial.

OP
Jinjuku

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
well, i can´t say, if he hears what he claims, but at least in the case of the different film types in capacitors he probably has a point, as that was indeed the very first controlled listening test, that we´ve done in the beginning of the 1980s. :=)
And we could confirm some other things claimed to be irrelevant or inaudible as well.

Beside that, should this sort of crossover bashing really take place in a forum named "audiosciencereview" ?

To point out that the attribution of (maybe existent) sonic differences to technical/physical properties without further experimental confirmation isn´t appropriate - especially if presented as fact - is a good thing, but everything else ?

Bottom line is the guy is just another hack and he's dumber than most in this industry. First I ask him if he would sit for a bias controlled evaluation, he says yes and any time on his own system. Before I can say boo, Amir has offered to fly out. But of course that can't happen by excuse we are 'hostile' and 'out to get him'.

So what does the guy do? He up and disappears at WBF for the longest time immediately after the FIM incident.

I mean Amir, BE, John Atkinson, and I know there are 2-3 other also measure his device and it actually makes things WORSE. Couple that with his proposed "everyone loves it" just means at best the 'making worse' is still below the noise floor and some fool and their money part ways, and at worst, but good for him, he's found a wheel barrow full of tin eared idiots with a few floating Benjamin's to drop.

Then proving a sack of rocks has a higher I.Q. by sheer quantity of rocks in the bag he pontificates on all the things he can hear and to 'just close your eyes'.

He's actually calling out people that can't close their eyes and hear these differences. That takes some brass ones. And he wonders why someone may be irritated by the pollution in this industry he represents.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks, the first part is what i wanted to express.... :)
Wrt to the second part, i do not agree as a manufacturer not necessarily has to know which specific technical cause explains a (maybe existent) effect.

I do not agree with you at all about manufacturer making claims with no technical evidence in the field of audio reproduction. The onus is on the manufacture to prove his claims, not on audio science review forum, because to review audio science, there must be some audio science existing, not witchcraft and sorcery. The forum , whats best forum, to me known as why believe facts, is overflowing with witchcraft, and the title of that forum is whats best, is the best not rquired to present any proof either?

If you do not stand for something, you will fall for anything.

If a manufacture has no idea how to measure his product, how can one know that there is any quality in that product from sample to sample.

Electronics is very advanced, maybe thirty years ago IBM managed to isolate and stack individual atoms to form the letters IBM. How small do we need to go to discover these "secret" products mechanisms?

Fas42, bless his heart, over on WBF somewhere did a great post, posted about you doing a cd recording of a song over and over on one cd with levels going down starting at 90 db, then 80, then 60, etc down to 40 db or 30 or 20 db is where he stopped, and then play this back with the 90db level at your normal listening level and do not touch the volume control and then see if you can hear this cd as it goes lower and lower in recorded level, its a good test of the measurement system trusted in your head. Then consider that IBM test with measuring gear.

Top Bottom