• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

After 6 months has the forum evolved to plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

h.g.

A few months back I made some suggestions in this sub-forum on what might be done to generate discussions on the science of audio. The threads were deleted and posts elsewhere around the topic met with more opposition than support. Fair enough, as best I could tell the objective seemed to be a happy chatty forum without the conflict and thinking that evidence based discussion tends to involve. Now I look at the forum fairly irregularly with only the odd post now and again. Since there have been no posts for nearly a month in the speakers and room sub-forum which is my main interest even that is likely to cease in the near future.

Are the regular posters happy with how the forum has evolved? Is there any interest in making changes and, if so, what?

Cosmik

Major Contributor
I was thinking it was a bit quiet on the technical front.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Any forum is a blank sheet of paper to be filled. There has been no opposition to technical content, the forum is what the members make it.

H.G you seem determined to stand on the side lines and irregularly or sporadicly intercede with these introspective posts. The forum is shaped by content not observations, you could of been involved but chose to sit in the wings and come by with these totally inane introspective threads as if it's the job of others to create what you want. It's not!

People want more technical content.. Create it, very simple. It's not the responsibility of others, it's down to each member to contribute to make the forum they want.

Your threads were deleted because just like this thread all you want to do is comment on what could or should be rather than actually involving yourself and creating content that might inspire like minded responses, Such a frankly bizarre approach is not constructive.

So the 'changes' you speak of are the threads and content members post, it's a continuing opportunity and not some orchestrated existential operation by mystery forces.

The forums content is the responsibility of its members, simple as that. If you want to have a positive influence H.G post content other than this introspective type posts that really provide nothing of what you ask for.. You seem to be determined that it's everyone else's responsibility to create a forum you want while you sit and wait for it to happen..

To improve the forum we need more active members engaged in rewarding ( technically driven or at least objective and or inquisitive )conversation of a nature that inspires yet more members of broadly like minded individuals to join and contribute..

You don't help that, in this thread or your previous introspective threads.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Amir is the technical audio guru leader. Ray, Denis, Mike, Michael, Frank, TB, Vincent, Mario, Richard, AJ, Keith, Tim, Iridium, Don, Tom, Ethan, Nigel, Wayne, Fitz, Cosmik, HG, Be, etc., etc., etc., are all audio technical contributors, and music lovers. The trends we create all together, so Tom is right above.
In this hobby we create our own interests, and we develop them to where we like them to go. We share some, we agree with some, we disagree with some, we live life normally like we do everyday with friends, family, fun, music, films, and technical audio applications for all people on Earth.
We learn from each other, from audio scientists, audio dealers, audio manufacturers, audio lovers, audiophiles, ...we learn from all.

This is good you started this thread h.g. because that's what it takes sometimes to reboot the engine, to get on the same page.
I'm just an observer, not an actor. I follow the lead.

For example:

1. What is audio science?
2. Is there an absolute in audio?
3. What is it?

fas42

Major Contributor
I would see an issue in that there is a general resistance by many members to accepting that more needs to be known about what allows sound reproduction to be satisfying or not, for various people. An air of "we know it all, already!" comes through - and that would stop many people participating; and many posts are never made, because it would stir up too much antagonism.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am partially at fault. I bought that coach and have either been travelling on it, or working on it so many of the technical articles/projects that i wanted to do have fallen behind. Good news and bad news is that in a couple of months the sun goes away for 6 months from here as our rainy season starts and I will have more time to work them! :)

For now yes, you all are both readers and writers/authors of this forum. So lack of technical content is something you all can fix.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I am partially at fault. I bought that coach and have either been travelling on it, or working on it so many of the technical articles/projects that i wanted to do have fallen behind. Good news and bad news is that in a couple of months the sun goes away for 6 months from here as our rainy season starts and I will have more time to work them! :)

For now yes, you all are both readers and writers/authors of this forum. So lack of technical content is something you all can fix.
It's a camper van... You been spending your life in a camper van....

OP
H

h.g.

Apart from the odd concern it would seem from the active members the answer is broadly yes things are going to plan and there is little need to consider what might be done differently. So thanks for that.

Thomas is unwise to expect technical content and discussions to just appear for the people here to learn from. It won't happen unless the forum provides a reason for those with scientific knowledge to get involved. In the same way that many of the people here felt they were better off away from what happens when they post on the What's Best Forum people wanting to talk about the science of home audio are likely to view what happens here in a fairly similar way. Peers want to talk to peers or if they are to teach rather than learn they need a reason to do it. Banter is unlikely to be enough. This is not intended as a criticism of the forum as such but more clarifying the kind of active member the forum is seeking.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Apart from the odd concern it would seem from the active members the answer is broadly yes things are going to plan and there is little need to consider what might be done differently. So thanks for that.

Thomas is unwise to expect technical content and discussions to just appear for the people here to learn from. It won't happen unless the forum provides a reason for those with scientific knowledge to get involved. In the same way that many of the people here felt they were better off away from what happens when they post on the What's Best Forum people wanting to talk about the science of home audio are likely to view what happens here in a fairly similar way. Peers want to talk to peers or if they are to teach rather than learn they need a reason to do it. Banter is unlikely to be enough. This is not intended as a criticism of the forum as such but more clarifying the kind of active member the forum is seeking.
Chicken n egg H.G , it's a circular trap you seem to be ever destined to wonder.

You post content, different folks read it most as guests.. If it inspires they reply.

You don't post content to inspire like minded folk, no one gets inspired no one responds in kind...

Bloody simple unless your you, you seem like I said many times to want to sit and wait, contributing sweet FA but seeming to expect the forum to develop in a way of your chosing.

Possibly there are a few guests that just read, who may well improve the forum if they.... CONTRIBUTED.

I would happily help host more scientific based content, there is nothing here to stop it. In fact amir has posted many many articals that 'could' be explored in a more acidemic and scientific way..

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If we were to talk about new topics, which are the ones of interest? AES 2016 conference is a week or so away. Depending on what people are interested in, I can download and parse their papers. So what area do you want to know more about/discuss?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
After 6 months has the forum evolved to plan?

I looked up evolution just now.

The consensus seems to be that evolution has no plan at its core, it just goes with whatever mutants survive.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I looked up evolution just now.

The consensus seems to be that evolution has no plan at its core, it just goes with whatever mutants survive.
Yes mutations are exposed in the field and what thrives thrives and what don't dies....

No preordained plan, we post our content our mutations and what inspires participation thrives and what does not... Tumble weed.

Or we can all sit about posting nothing and wait... For...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom