• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Visit to Stereophile Reviewer, Jason Victor Serinus

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
On April 1, we had the pleasure of visiting Jason Victor Serinus, the contributing editor and show/equipment reviewer for Stereophile magazine. As expected, interest was high and some twenty people signed up to be there.

Jason’s nice home is near Puget Sound and Pacific Ocean north of where we live. It was a 140-mile roundtrip for me and was worth every minute of driving up there.

Jason has a very warm personality and was super inviting despite such a large group descending on his home. Better yet, he has three cute dogs that provided no end of companionship as we took turns in groups of ten to visit. I wish I remembered their names but old age has gotten to me and I do not. Here is a picture of the cuties though:
093A8650.jpg

I know, I know, you didn’t come here to read about dogs and people. You wanted to know about the visit and audio experience. Here is a shot of Jason’s living room system which we did not listen to:

093A8649.jpg

The listening room is a converted garage with custom acoustic treatment:

093A8652.jpg

093A8653.jpg

Nice to see the carpet on the floor. Side reflections are absorbed and a sliding door to the outside was left open on purpose. Opening like that act as perfect absorbers at all frequencies which likely helped remove some of the bass modes (more below). Speakers were wide apart as you see, typical of many Wilson installations I see, but unlike many did not leave me with the impression of them being too far apart. It created a wide presentation which was very appealing despite the rather modest dimensions of the listening room.
093A8654.jpg

There were a lot of LPs in the room but the system was all digital which was just dandy with me. :)

Here is a picture with Jason in it. My apologies to him in advance for my wide angle lens stretching him width-wise. :)

093A8661.jpg

We each rotated on seat after every music playback (sorry, I forgot to take a picture of the listening location). I was impressed by Jason saying the back row by the wall was boomy because indeed it was! This tells me that he has good ability to detect such frequency response issues and isolate them.

Just a few feet closer to the speakers though – where the main listening couch was – made a big difference both from removal of boominess and better overall imaging and experience. So when listening in the back row, I leaned forward which made a big difference but still not as good as the front row. So again, good optimization here in finding the best sweet spot.

Jason had a set of Audionet Max monoblock amplifiers for review. The last group listened to his Pass Labs XA200.8 first, and then the Audionet. We listened to Audionet first and then Pass Labs. More on this later.

The Wilson Alexia produced soundwaves in the room with the source often being SACDs on dCS Paganini transport.

The listening session started with classically well recorded Yello album, Toy with the track “Electrified II.”

https://www.shazam.com/track/313570697/electrified-ii#referrer=shz.am

upload_2017-4-14_21-10-56.png

This track had a very wide soundstage, taking good advantage of the larger distance between speakers. Resolution was excellent and overall, a very enjoyable track. Being a bit critical, the female vocal were a tad lispy. Listening to the same track on my system, the same trait is there so it is either in the recording or I am being overly sensitive to it. :) It is less noticeable on my system due to warmer sound and more live presentation. On the other hand my speakers are closer together so I do not get the expansive soundstage that Jason’s system has.

This is a reference quality album by the way so if you are at all into Yello music, you need to get it. I am streaming from Tidal.

The above was the only track I heard while in center seat. The rest were in less optimal listening positions.

We then listened to a wonderful classical album and track from our local Seattle Symphony Orchestra:
Gerard Schwarz, Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring; Dumbarton Oaks

http://www.allmusic.com/album/release/stravinsky-the-rite-of-spring-dumbarton-oaks-mr0003792562

upload_2017-4-14_21-11-56.png

The track we listened to was Ritual Action of Ancestors download (24-bit/96 Khz). It starts out quiet but then gets quite dynamic. I really enjoyed this. The soft sounds are quite soft requiring near reference volume levels. And then the dynamics come and nearly bring the house down.

One of the members asked for Patricia Barber and Jason played her latest MoFi SACD Smash and the opening track, Code Cool:

upload_2017-4-14_21-12-35.png

Gosh, she has aged in that picture....

I had a pretty lousy seat by this time, sitting far right. Still the instrumental parts of this track are excellent. Patricia’s voice unfortunately sounded lispy to me to and the same trait exists yet again in my system (to smaller extent for the reasons mentioned previously).

Another member request was the track Opium by Peter Thomas Sound Orchestra (Vol. 4) played from the CD. This was a fun track:
upload_2017-4-14_21-13-24.png

I was listening by the back wall by this time and at first this sounded rather flat to me. Leaning forward helped a lot restoring some of the resolution and fun dynamics.

At this time, we set out to do AB tests of the Pass Labs and Audionet amplifiers. We went back to some of the same tracks we had listened to (Patricia Barber and Seattle Symphony). Jason said that we were listening to the reverse order of the first group as I mentioned. And that this likely would result in different outcome than the other group. Informal voting was gathered with me the only dummy that could not ascertain differences that were obvious to others :).

093A8655.jpg

093A8656.jpg

We then merged back with the other group and Jason asked them to vote on which amplifier they liked. They unanimously voted for the Audionet. Then he asked for comments from the second group and the majority voted for Pass Labs being better! Jason said this is what can happen when you only do A/B without returning to A, and, at the least, do A/B/A if not A/B/A/B/ etc…

093A8663.jpg

Me? There is a simpler explanation. That is, when asked to evaluate a change, everyone pays more attention and all of a sudden new detail is heard that was not heard before. For the first group, the second iteration was the Audionet so that was thought to have better “sound.” For our group Pass Labs was the second amp we were asked to evaluate so more fidelity was heard in that outcome. As far as I am concerned, there was no audible difference but rather the psychology of how we listen. There certainly is no other logical explanation of two sets of audiophiles listening to the same system, walking away with opposite results. If there were audible differences between amps, it was lost in the slow switchover time (measured in minutes).

Jason said that his review of the Audionet Max monoblocks, which in his opinion sounds significantly different than the Pass Labs XA 200.8 monoblocks, will appear in the June issue of Stereophile.

So that is it. A wonderful afternoon was spent, new music explored, and enjoyable conversations was had. And let’s not forget the great hospitality by Jason. I am sincerely thankful to him and for the Pacific Northwest Audiophile Society for organizing this (and other great) events.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, nice report, nice pictures and very nice system. Wilsons are sometimes now maligned it seems. Yet I have heard a few sets with the result always good to excellent. Like the sliding panels too.

Now for the important question. Did they level match the amps???? Come on Amir, don't tell me you set in on an amp comparison and let them skip that part. Or were you afraid he would sic those three dogs on you. :p

BTW, if that were my dog, he looks like his name would be Festus. Don't know why, just how he looks to me. The more blond dog looks like a Bruno or Helga. Didn't see the third one.
index.php

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh and the tape on the floor reminds me of a product for audiophiles I have been meaning to develop. Nice wood floors with an invisible precise grid pattern over the entire floor. Embedded in the finish. When setting up speakers and such you would use a black light and the grid would be visible. Numbered and everything. When done setting things up, just take a picture and turn the blacklight off.

Oh and if you are going to use tape, use gaffers tape ( in the USA). Studio or video tape in the UK (in the UK gaffers tape is duct tape which is one of the worst possible choices). Gaffers tape won't harm your finish and peels off with pretty much no residue.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Me? There is a simpler explanation. That is, when asked to evaluate a change, everyone pays more attention and all of a sudden new detail is heard that was not heard before. For the first group, the second iteration was the Audionet so that was thought to have better “sound.” For our group Pass Labs was the second amp we were asked to evaluate so more fidelity was heard in that outcome. As far as I am concerned, there was no audible difference but rather the psychology of how we listen. There certainly is no other logical explanation of two sets of audiophiles listening to the same system, walking away with opposite results. If there were audible differences between amps, it was lost in the slow switchover time (measured in minutes).
This is an interesting datapoint to a study done a decade back at a NYC audio show by PJ Smith. During the show, he asked visitors to express a preference between two carefully level-matched amplifiers, one tube / one SS, under blind conditions and with random order of presentation. He found a statistically significant preference for the second amp in the presentation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting to see so many expensive supports under everything but not being used under the Audionets.
I wouldn't expect these supports to make any difference, personally, so wouldn't consider this to compromise the amp comparison, but those convinced by the night and day effect of these expensive additions may consider this to invalidate it ;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Interesting to see so many expensive supports under everything but not being used under the Audionets.
I wouldn't expect these supports to make any difference, personally, so wouldn't consider this to compromise the amp comparison, but those convinced by the night and day effect of these expensive additions may consider this to invalidate it ;)
That's an interesting point and something to observe for everyone who thought the Audionet amp was better, yet it had no such supports!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Great report Amir, thanks!
I am a bit surprise by the lack of distance between the speakers and the back wall?
Or are the photos deceptive?
Although my current room won't allow any better, I do like to have as much distance as the room allows. Maybe (probably) a illusion but I've found good soundstage depth somewhat dependent on some free-space in back.
YMMV?

BTW, I don't care how they sound, I love those monster Pass amps.
If only-------------- :)

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
This is an interesting datapoint to a study done a decade back at a NYC audio show by PJ Smith. During the show, he asked visitors to express a preference between two carefully level-matched amplifiers, one tube / one SS, under blind conditions and with random order of presentation. He found a statistically significant preference for the second amp in the presentation.

I have noticed that I have tended to do the same thing myself with component comparisons, even if I switch back and forth many times. That initial perception of "hearing things you did not know were on the recording before" with the second signal path or DUT tends to stay with you as a preference. That has become a cliche, and it is generally meaningless. More careful listening often reveals that what you thought was something new in the music was really there all the time. Not always, but often.

I first noticed this tendency in my own listening decades ago when everyone was going nuts over absolute polarity and the lack of industry standards for it. I soon realized I was often deceiving myself with false preferences.

Of course, it is just a refocusing of your listening attention the second time through the same musical passage. I suspect that even in a double blind test, where the A and B choices were really identical while announced to the test subjects to be different, there would be a statistical preference for the second choice listened to.

Nightlord

Nice read!

Personally I'd pick AudioNet over Pass Labs any day. Hope they have better production quality now, I hear AudioNet of some models have been repair prone.

Can you elaborate about the open door? Does "outside" mean outdoors, or just to the next room?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The open door was to a small hallway that led to the outside. Thinking about it, since that door was closed, it would not create an ideal absorber but rather, change the acoustic center of that row.

The open door was to a small hallway that led to the outside. Thinking about it, since that door was closed, it would not create an ideal absorber but rather, change the acoustic center of that row.

I believe Amir will be making some corrections to the text. For example, the Oppo was never in use. Beyond that, a few points.

The dog you see is the irreplaceable Daisy Mae Doven. Ms. Doven is half Jack Russell terrier, and half Ghetto. The other two are Leo Gleesun (blond) and the infamous Guy Luvberg. The world is poorer because there is no picture of them.

There were three set-up disadvantages that the Audionets had. These were fully discussed at the beginning of the session, before one - Synergistic Research Tranquility Bases under the Grand Prix amp stands - was eliminated by unplugging them. Some of the differences between the amps would have been more pronounced had they all been on amp stands, but neither extra stands nor sufficient space was available. The other difference is that one of the Nordost Odin 2 powercords on an Audionet Max mono was shorter than the other three, which affects its resonance properties. This is a phenomenon unique to Nordost's geometry.

The opening of the sliding doors to the hallway affects bass pressurization and response in the listening room. It was carefully determined, with the optimal opening marked by tape on the floor. I got the idea from retailer Brian Berdan, who discovered the effect via the sliding door between Audio Element's listening room and the back of the store. Brian helped design my room from afar.

All Wilson loudspeakers are positioned by Wilson dealers. That is part of the purchase price. Theoretical "I would haves" were replaced by extremely careful experimentation and measurement. Final positioning was done by Craig and Gary from Definitive Audio. All the tape on the floor was left by them. I don't worry about it how it may or may not affect the finish - it won't really - because I have no intention of removing it. The speaker spikes are sitting on wafers to not put holes in the floor, and speakers can be accidentally jostled and moved in the process of lifting amps in and out. Hence I need the tape to return the speakers to ground zero, as it were.

Some of my observations about this demo will appear online in a story about the Building of the Sound Room. Others will appear in my review of the Audionets in the June issue.

Kal, I don't know how you find the time to visit so many forums. But I thank you for your spot on comment about listening tests. I wish I had read the research before strategizing the demo. We would have needed an extra 45 minutes per session to do A/B/A.

The dogs need their nighttime walk. Happy listening, one and all.

jason victor serinus
who gets terrified every time he sees how bad his posture has become

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Kal, I don't know how you find the time to visit so many forums. But I thank you for your spot on comment about listening tests. I wish I had read the research before strategizing the demo. We would have needed an extra 45 minutes per session to do A/B/A.
I have more time for this now that I do not have to work for a living. As for that study, I was a participant and, on two different occasions, I chose the second amp. Of course, it was a different amp each time. Very thought-provoking but, I think, the observation applies mostly to unfamiliar listening circumstance.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I believe Amir will be making some corrections to the text. For example, the Oppo was never in use. Beyond that, a few points.
Thank you very much for the corrections and warm welcome to the forum. As people who know me are well aware, I make a terrible reporter. :) I am in awe of people like yourself who do major shows and write so much detail about them. I am happy if I remember to tie my shoes correctly before walking the floor.

Speaking of shows, will be covering AXPONA?

Thank you very much for the corrections and warm welcome to the forum. As people who know me are well aware, I make a terrible reporter. :) I am in awe of people like yourself who do major shows and write so much detail about them. I am happy if I remember to tie my shoes correctly before walking the floor.

Speaking of shows, will be covering AXPONA?

YES. I wish the dogs could help me. Speaking of which, here's a slightly out of focus photo I took of them a few weeks ago as we were preparing for the walk we're about to take RIGHT NOW!!!!

Did you receive all the corrections to system and recording that I sent by email? I don't see them.
The Three Dogs - 1.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Great picture. What doesn't come across in the image is how loving they are. Despite so many strangers coming into your home, they were completely at ease providing great affection to everyone. Our two dogs would have taken turns barking and jumping at everyone. :)

Top Bottom