• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

~$20-25k System Poll

Which of the following would you pick (1st & 2nd choice)?

• Wired JBL M2 System

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Wireless Dynaudio Focus XD System

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Classic Tubes & Horns

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The chart is very useful since Genelec sells a lot of monitors for recording/mixing (vs. mastering, though I am sure plenty are used there as well) and so mainly near-field. All multi-driver speakers have a minimum distance requirement for cohesiveness but for home use that is rarely an issue.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm a bit surprised that the tubes and horn choice hasn't received more votes. I would have thought @Sal1950 would have picked it if nobody else...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Dynaudio XD 600?

I voted dynaudio as that's the system I'm looking at to replace my traditional hifi set up with. I want to go wireless and I want to go full digital as that's what I believe represents the best way to get all the benefits out of the technology. Digital from start , right up to the driver.

Firmware seems upgradeable and the company is long established, does not relay on one guy. The build and design look of the highest standard.

What more does one need?

I can dump 2/3 of my room treatment , my ridiculous shrine and million cables and get back to living like a normal person.

Can't see a reason to go for the M2 , other than extra " rip your face off power" . To me they are a foot in old thinking and a foot in new thinking, while the dynaudio totally embraces digital audio with all its advantages both technological and from a end users POV practical.

Wireless .

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't voted in the poll. The Dyna system is what I likely would choose.

I am wondering if a multi-channel rig might be a good idea. A couple of those new 708P's up front and 705's elsewhere. Even if you can't find a good digital multi-channel pre or control center you can buy some well engineered multi-channel preamps with XLR outputs. Put in 4 suitable subs (four so you can get an even response in the lower 200 hz), and it would cost no more than these choices here. Yet it would give the option of 3 channel or multi-channel playback while still being extremely good for two channel stereo.

Now not claiming these ideas are a definitively better or the way to go. As a counter-point to sharpen what your aims are in what you are contemplating, what do you not like about these suggestions?

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Dons look like completely traditional active speakers with 'wireless' ability, no controlled directivity, are there boundary or contour filters, does the software ( is there software) allow subwoofer integation?
The KEF LS50 appear more technologically advanced.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Thanks Thomas they have rudimentaryboundary filters and a very limited treble lift/cut, many 'pro' active monitors include those features.
Keith

D

Deleted member 65

What did you pick for 2nd choice?

This one was actually my first choice Adam Audio Tensor Gamma MkII. Then Adam Audio nearly went bust, saved by venture capitalists who cleaned the company scrapping the Tensor line of speakers.

upload_2017-8-22_10-35-49.png

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Fortitude was a good binge watch.

Not sure I get the reference to this thread however. I am just dense I know.
Oh, yes it's Dan from fortitude..

Your definitely not dense, just looking further into it than necessary.

I just love his facial expressions, they convey a sentiment my limited literary skills simply can't manage.

One of intense intrest , dans carefully listing to some important information here.. or is there something else going on in those eyes and tort lips...

Open to interpretation I guess :)

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Can't see a reason to go for the M2 , other than extra " rip your face off power" . To me they are a foot in old thinking and a foot in new thinking

That's an interesting way to put it, although, to be fair, the M2s aren't meant for consumers -- studio monitors with wireless are extremely rare and don't fit well with the world of DAWs and interfaces.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
If you go all-digital and use Roon, you can use it to implement PEQ and full convolution filters.
Yes I like that, I like the idea of unison too. For me including these things in the speakers is unwise as it's a ever changing technology and I'd rather that aspect be elsewhere where I can easily change up my poison if you like.

I really just want to be able to have no compromise wireless and also mate that with a voice activated player too so I can just say what I want and it comes on..

All the technology is there, all be it in different places right now.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes I like that, I like the idea of unison too. For me including these things in the speakers is unwise as it's a ever changing technology and I'd rather that aspect be elsewhere where I can easily change up my poison if you like.

Ditto...keep the harder software stuff out of the speaker itself and leave it places that benefit from Moore's Law.

I also think KEF made an architectural error by building too much of the protocol into the LS50 itself, while Dynaudio relies upon the external Connect, Hub, Link, etc boxes to create and extend the network, including (with Link) the ability to use the network with non-Dynaudio speakers.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm a bit surprised that the tubes and horn choice hasn't received more votes. I would have thought @Sal1950 would have picked it if nobody else...
Just caught up with your thread and voted.
1 M2, a speaker system that eats Kii Three's for breakfast and craps them out long before lunch. :p
2 Classic horns but I'm not so sure about the choice for amps. If I went tube it would be a very accurate modern tube design. Ultra linear, class AB, etc; a tube amp with just enough tube-ness to soften the slight edgeyness of some horn design, probably the same awesome Manley stuff I had. LOL Otherwise just a great SS.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Seriously considering going with one of the following.
Just to add my 2 cents on your choices.
Rather than either of the two horns, if I were investing that kind of money today I think I'd be looking at the JBL 4367s and putting together something right along the lines of @dallasjustice system. with a pair of monster subs and some DRC to balance everything.

Now the K-Horns would be a awesome choice if you wanted to do the AudioCheapskate route and buy used. You could put together a rig offering 90% of the SQ for 10% the cost. LOL

The Dynaudio choice kind of throws me a curve, a very apples / oranges soundprint than any of the horns?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Just to add my 2 cents on your choices.
Rather than either of the two horns, if I were investing that kind of money today I think I'd be looking at the JBL 4367s and putting together something right along the lines of @dallasjustice system. with a pair of monster subs and some DRC to balance everything.

For me, here's the thing about the 4367:

If starting from scratch, why have the Son of M2 when one can have the M2 itself, plus active crossovers, for not much more?

If one already has a significant investment in electronics one wants to keep, then I get it.

Or were you thinking of with a tube amp? I was under the impression the 4367 isn't quite sensitive enough for lower wattage tubes.

Now the K-Horns would be a awesome choice if you wanted to do the AudioCheapskate route and buy used. You could put together a rig offering 90% of the SQ for 10% the cost. LOL

The K-horns and vintage reissue McIntosh combo is really just an exercise in retro-fetishism.

It almost certainly would not sound as good as the other choices (although almost certainly plays the loudest), but it certainly looks the coolest and might be the most fun.

Playing with REW and digital PEQs is cool, but there reaches a point where you're basically done, whereas the insanity of tube rolling never stops.

Plus I feel like I don't want to end my life as an audio enthusiast never having owned either a Klipsch or McIntosh product....seems like a bucket list thing.

The Dynaudio choice kind of throws me a curve, a very apples / oranges soundprint than any of the horns?

It is, but in my case, it's one I'm familiar with, since Dynaudio studio monitors (along with JBL) are amongst the ones I use in my home office hobby mixing room.

Plus, personal experience aside, they're solidly over-engineered and the wireless Connect system makes for interesting whole house possibilities.

Top Bottom