• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AXPONA: Mark Seaton, Seaton Sound

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
093A3383.jpg

093A3482.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
After corresponding forever with Mark electronically, it was a pleasure to meet him in person. He is super friendly and unassuming man.

The first time I was there they had a lot of trouble with their AVR/processor, wiring, etc. Felt bad for them trying to debug it all in the dark.

The second time I came those were all resolved and they showed the best picture and surround sound at the show. I must have sat there for half hour or more.

We are talking deep, deep bass. And at super high SPL levels. It is the kind of experience you can only get with monster subs and tons and tons of power.

The mains sounded good too although nothing to the level of the performance of the subs.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
We are talking deep, deep bass. And at super high SPL levels.

How deep? How high?

What's the lowest fundamental you (personally) hear as a tone?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Bass is the place, anything else is just elementary. :)

There is no better emotional impact when your tears are not only coming from your soul and eyes but also from your entire body and underneath your feet and butt. :D It's all in that music score where the LFE channel resides @ its stronger foundation. Forget the grenade launcher and flame thrower, feel them drums and synthesizers and organ instruments.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Subsonic region is where we don't hear but only feel. ...Like having a wind turbine a kilometer away from your home...@ night with your dreams; it subconsciously takes over and changes your body's molecules and affects your heartbeat. Studies are still going on on human's health.

nc42acc

I sat enamored in the Seaton room for at least an hour. The bass shook the room and floor in the hotel. The projector produced by far the best image I have seen to date which it should for $65,000.00. I can say the Seaton room was a standout for me at Axpona.

fas42

Major Contributor
So, was any musical instrument playing bass in these demos, or was it purely synthesised effects?

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
As the very happy owner of Seaton Submersives, managed in part by the JBL BassQ (at least when my system is up and running), and as the owner of Seaton 8s serving me quite well in my law office, I am not in the least surprised by your report. Mark is indeed a very soft spoken, humble man, though he also is one of the most knowledgeable in this business.

Amir, I keep thinking 'bout pairing his subs with either the M2 or 4367 speakers, at least when I no longer have to pay for college tuition.

NorthSky

Major Contributor

fas42

Major Contributor
At the Sydney audio show a couple of years ago they had a huge area set aside for this sort of stuff - using a $60,000 projector, that type of thing. All tremendously impactful; trouble is, also completely unrealistic - a car door slams, and the whole garage shudders, the windows bulge in and out - yeah, right, just like my car ... ;).

A nice Disneyland ride, but no more than that - the truth is, the real world has very little of this sort of bass happening - I recall Basspig finding a real pipe organ quite a let down, "not enough bass!!" ... :)

fas42

Major Contributor
Obviously, only organists with very long arms need apply ...

NorthSky

Major Contributor
This one's in Sidney Frank, your capital:

a769c7c164c0f1a787245f8a30648e0f.jpg

It's true that those biggest organs of the world they don't play very loud (only 130dB max), and low (8Hz).
But you can hear them a kilometer away across the globe, under the planet's core...directly to China. :D
So yes, in a sense Basspig is right...but not completely.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Obviously, only organists with very long arms need apply ...

They hire octopussies* from the ocean Frank, to play those big musical instruments.

* Giant octoplusses. Small bugs need no applying.

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
The biggest world's organ (first pic above); they only know roughly how many pipes, but not exactly because nobody could ever count them without making a mistake in their count...talk about a vented drag!

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
The Boardwalk Hall Auditorium Organ is the pipe organ in the Main Auditorium of the Boardwalk Hall (formerly known as the Atlantic City Convention Hall) in Atlantic City, New Jersey, built by the Midmer-Losh Organ Company. It is the largest organ in the world, as measured by the number of pipes (officially 33,112, but the exact number is unknown).[1]

The main auditorium is 487×288×137 feet (148×88×42 m)[2] with a floor area of 140,000 square feet (13,000 m2), giving a volume of 5,500,000 cubic feet (160,000 m3).[3] Consequently, the organ runs on much higher wind pressures than most organs in order to achieve a volume loud enough to fill the hall.

* If you google nicest looking world's organs, you're going to be blown away by the majesty of some inside those Cathedrals, totally a piece of love and art for those biggest world's musical instruments. Total awesomeness power for the the eyes and ears.

fas42

Major Contributor
This one's in Sidney Frank, your capital:
This one's rather special, Bob - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Town_Hall_Grand_Organ, one of only two in the world that have the longest pipe, 64 feet. I have seen that as a backdrop endless times, while the Opera House was being built this was where all orchestral concert performances were held, and some popular music concerts - I heard Vollenweider here, a very impressive show ...

Never heard this organ being played in the flesh, though ...

NorthSky

Major Contributor
It's a beautiful one too Frank; you guys in Australia are lucky to have such a big and beautiful musical instrument.
Go there and play some, then tell us how it sounds. Play the lower registers, the ones with those big pipes, and turn the volume up to eleven. :)

1280px-Sydney_Town_Hall_Grand_Organ.jpg

Top Bottom