Search results

1. jooc

A millennial's rant on classical music

Want to know how my entry into classical music happened? It wasn't years of learned research, didn't involve acquiring a deep historical knowledge of the pieces or composers or music theory leading up to a wine-like appreciation for the nuances of the art - No, I simply hit 'play' on the...
  2. jooc

O-Noorus D1 - TPA3255 PFFB Stereo Amplifier - Front Display, Tone Control (with bypass) and Remote

Has someone measured sinad, etc? I don't see any actual reviews out there yet.
  3. jooc

GoldenSounds passes apparently ABX test for DACs (NOT Really)

^ Very good response to this type of question IMO. The only possibly viable argument I've heard against this is based on interesting data about the capabilities of the human eardrum, inner ear and auditory nerve - apparently there's some data suggesting that higher frequencies do reach the...
  4. jooc

O-Noorus D1 - TPA3255 PFFB Stereo Amplifier - Front Display, Tone Control (with bypass) and Remote

Coming to this conclusion as well. There's only so much snake oil that can continue to exist outside of the realm of objective measurements like SINAD. Really good, affordable powered speakers might be the next field to take off now that these excellent audio technologies are so cheap...
  5. jooc

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Being that we both find ourselves on ASR, your amps are indeed my concern. I hereby invoke forum agreement A6-1 and you are required to reveal your amps.
  6. jooc

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Do people usually use monoblocks with a pre-amps of some sort where they actually adjust volume? I imagine people usually set both monoblock amps at top volume, and then actually adjust the volume via a remote control streamer/pre-amp? Or how do you make sure volume is equalized on both...
  7. jooc

'Headroom' is a measure of the badness of an amplifier. The bigger the number, the worse the amplifier.

That's what I was wondering, but I suspect there are multiple definitions for 'headroom' existing in this same thread
  8. jooc

'Headroom' is a measure of the badness of an amplifier. The bigger the number, the worse the amplifier.

I think this entire thread boils down to the fact that Zaphod thinks the "C" amplifier above is the best of those three, and that makes the others 'bad', especially B, which is obviously a Gatsby-esqe pretender that wants to walk in the rarified air of real 150wpc amplifiers but doesn't deserve...
  9. jooc

What definition of 'headroom' is Crown Audio using in their calculator below, and is it the same thing the OP is talking about? Is 'peak power' and 'headroom' being treated as the same thing consistently?
  10. jooc

After reading this thread I'm not entirely sure everyone's working with the same exact definition of "headroom." Aside from that I suspect the above illustrates the bulk of what OP is arguing against, even if he doesn't realize it, and he may not realize it because he's applying some older...
  11. jooc

Your Desktop Audio Setup?

Computer --usb--> SMSL SU1 DAC --> IoTAVX SE3 integrated --> Triangle Borea BRO3 + Yamaha 8'' sub
  12. jooc

Why are you still buying expensive premium gears when cheap stuff does the same

There's always this thought, though: $25K to $50K 'mid--tier' Bass boats exist. UTVs exist ($12K to $30K.) Dirt bikes exist, most new Xcross style bikes cost 10 grand now or more. Jet-skis are all over the lakes and rivers. DSLR camera gear, video cards, gaming rigs, etc, etc. These are...
  13. jooc

Therapy thread for those looking to upgrade for no logical reason

Wharfedale Linton 85th vs. current Triangle Borea Bro3. I do like the air movement, expanded stage, better integrated bass that seems to come with the bigger speakers, I just don't need it really in my 12x9 office.
  14. jooc

Therapy thread for those looking to upgrade for no logical reason

I want bigger speakers for a space I don't need bigger speakers for
  15. jooc

FAQ Questions on Audio/ASR

These would be very good topics for a good-but-succinct explanation in a FAQ: a) What exactly 'SINAD' means, both technically and a brief subjective description of how low-SINAD would sound compared to high (in a scenario where the delta was high enough to hear the difference) b) Succinct...
  16. jooc

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

It's something I started noticing once I moved from the Edifier powered speakers with built-in DAC to a SoundEngine D1 DAC/A07 amp/Emotiva B1+ combo. So basically all three components were replaced at once and that horrible middle Gibb voice started appearing. But now I hear it on all my...
  17. jooc

How much power and SPL's do people actually need in their homes?

Agreed, after reading this forum I've come to the conclusion that I must listen to music much more quietly than most here ;) . I think I'd get divorced if I listened at 85db spl all the time. I'm probably usually around 65-75, with peaks around 85-90.
  18. jooc

How much power and SPL's do people actually need in their homes?

It would likely be more than loud enough with 82db speakers for most listening, but it's close when considering peaks:
  19. jooc

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

I think this is actually an interesting question. On the face of I'd say it's bad, because it probably means the amp/dac/speakers aren't picking up all the track volume mismatches and things the recording studio put in to make the song sound better on extremely low-fi AM/FM radio. (I have a...
  20. jooc

I'm surprised so many audio companies exist

It's true that audio components can be a "Veblan good."
Top Bottom