Search results

1. hashkey

Roon Nucleus One

It's a lot. I'm pretty sure when I first saw the price I thought wtf… When I trialled it, I decided to go all-in and get lifetime. It wasn't cheap (it's even less so now) but I see it as a component in my system rather than a service, and one that makes the experience a whole lot better for me.
  2. hashkey

Roon Nucleus One

You're not wrong- although I've always got the sense that Roon running on a dedicated device is likely to give you any issues. I could be wrong, but there last two years I've run ROCK on a supported NUC and it's run like a dream.
  3. hashkey

Roon Nucleus One

That's a valid question considering it basically is exactly that. The principal advantage is that it's already set up with Roon OS installed. That in itself mightn't mean much to you or me, but it will to some. I'm currently running a NUC in an Akasa enclosure and I'm seriously tempted by this...
  4. hashkey

Roon Nucleus One

I'm surprised that Roon's new $500 server appliance isn't being discussed here… (unless I've missed it which is entirely possible) As a bit of a Roon fanboy, I'm very tempted by this and think it marks an interesting step for a great platform.
  5. hashkey

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

Completely agree. Something like the WiiM amp and a nice pair of budget speakers, maybe a sub, is what I would regard as a perfectly valid endgame. It's what I have in my kitchen and my bedroom (which is where I end up listening to most of my music) and anything more than that would be overkill...
  6. hashkey

I voted great because at that price it has no meaningful competition. I hope it's the start of something but WiiM's platform (even talking into account the app that looks like something off Android ten years ago) is going to take some beating.
  7. hashkey

Yeah and it's Bluetooth which is a plus.
  8. hashkey

That or Chromecast or Squeezelite… 'cause Roon Ready definitely isn't ready…
  9. hashkey

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

I'm sure I'm not the only one hoping the company's also sent you a WiiM Amp as well…
  10. hashkey

WiiM Amp discussion

I seem to remember hearing one of the usual suspects on some podcast, on the question of audiophile nonsense, making an argument to the effect of "when so many people sell it and so many buy it, it can't possibly be BS". I enjoy his work, but even I can see certain flaws in that argument.
  11. hashkey

WiiM Amp discussion

Is it just me or am I getting a sense of 'could be better' in terms of SQ and hardware issues? For what they're worth, the two YouTubers who've reviewed it have been full of praise, but more for the overall value proposition than for out and out performance. Is there really any technical reason...
  12. hashkey

WiiM Amp discussion

https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/my-wiim-amp-tests.1873/#post-28360 A member on the WiiM forum has done some tests…
  13. hashkey

WiiM Amp discussion

Agreed - but my point is that every different input has its specific benefits, USB included.
  14. hashkey

WiiM Amp discussion

There are always alternatives, but for system level audio, Chromecast is no use, Airplay's good enough as long as it's a Mac and Bluetooth.. no. You could make similar arguments for leaving HDMI out- there are other ways to get audio from a TV to an amp, but there are some cases where it's just...
  15. hashkey

WiiM Amp discussion

If you also wanted to connect a computer.. As is, I'll probably end up buying a WiiM amp for my kitchen and one for my bedroom, but without USB in, it's not much use for my desktop.
  16. hashkey

WiiM Amp discussion

All that's been said is "one of the industry's top amplifier chips" But if it's all implemented well and priced competitively, this could be huge.
Top Bottom