Search results

1. R

Current recommendation for instrumentation grade audio interface

Which one, the old one that doesn't have USB? If yes, how do you connect it to the computer and if there are any downsides to using it.
  2. R

I understand, but at this point, given its practical insurmountable challenges - such as the need for a preamplifier that's not available yet - what I said stands. It simply cannot be used as an RME or Lynx can, so I don't think the comparison is valid. There are interfacing expectations...
  3. R

More FFT points pushes it under -117dB. It's almost too good for the generator itself (AP S1), but that's the reading I'm getting with this setup.
  4. R

Well, I got the Clarett+, and got some interesting results. After registering some frustration with cables with this interface too - but having far more ability to move it around to find "quiet" chunks of space to position the interconnects - I decided to go back to the Lynx and try harder to...
  5. R

In expectance of the Clarett+ (in transit now), been expanding the search a bit. It seems Universal Audio makes some pristine high end interfaces, but the low end don't seem to have published specs (which is a very odd choice to me from what seems like a respectable house). Does anyone have...
  6. R

Been scraping AMZ for something fitting (the store choice would allow me to get it pronto, possibly even the same day) and I'm losing patience with this solution. I guess what I'm looking for is, essentially, a device able to take SPDIF in and output to USB, correct? But if the solution is a...
  7. R

That's the driver I tried (primarily, but also a few others), to no avail. BTW, if you haven't done this already, there's a mod to the left channel to clean up some unthoughtful PCB trace routing (which is dumping PS noise into it due to proximity aspects). Makes left a bit better than right...
  8. R

A ship that's sailed for me, but: which driver? consistently with all Windows updates? Or maybe on a shop computer that doesn't get updated much? what else did you need to do to have it recognized and stay working solidly? I couldn't get it to work consistently if my life depended on it, and...
  9. R

Yes, I am aware of this... NOW. I am not sure how this product makes sense the way it is, but I guess there were times when USB was not quite such a normative hookup for all peripherals (audio and the rest of it). But why!?...... I am still looking for some direction on what type of SPDIF/USB...
  10. R

Got it, and I agree. Thank you Blumlein 88. As stunning as that is for both an AP S1 from the '90s and an EMU from the 2000s (?), it's so hard many decades later to find something fitting their high bar and not break the bank. I mean, surely, the AP wasn't selling for a buck new, but the EMU...
  11. R

I am not sure I have a good handle on this. What exact type of device would be a fit for this duty? I am only aware of DACs taking SPDIF in and "outputting" USB, but that can't be it. SPDIF is completely missing from my universe, so I'm flying blind on this.
  12. R

Interesting point, Rja4000. When you say "cheaper Focusrite," you mean the Clarett+? Or the Scarlett?
  13. R

The video you posted was for the Clarett 2Pre, not Clarett+ 2Pre (while I specifically referred to the Clarett+ in all of my posts). Amir has no tests for either. Per Focusrite, the Clarett+ should have distinct advantages over the old model in some of these core data points I'm interested in...
  14. R

I decided to get a Clarett+ 2Pre anyway (found it for... $340 new?!), and will just have to test all three and keep one. It's really unfortunate Amir hasn't tested the Clarett+ 2Pre (any known measurements?...) or the other interface that raised my interest, the SSL2+. I personally got THD as...
  15. R

Good to know, thanks. ADI-2 + USB to SPDIF adapter. How can one control the ADI-2 via SPDIF? ASIO drivers possible? Can't wrap my head around this solution to try to figure out if useful for me. Maybe I just need to get the device and try it out.
  16. R

More bad news for me and more kludgy-ness... Rather than this, I'm inclined to try the "Cosmos" route. Where can these devices be bought from? I only see the ADC available on the large retailer, but what about the APU?
  17. R

Well, shoot. I don't see a USB port anywhere on the ADI-2. Can this not be used as an interface?....
  18. R

I grabbed a used RME ADI-2 for what i think it's a fair price from a large US retailer. I am aware it's not at the level of the RMEs mentioned earlier, but by spec it should essentially "sit" just below the AP S1 specs, so it meets my expectations. I will probably test it here and compare it...
  19. R

I am not looking for the ultimate possible performance. There are limitations with the AP S1 itself, which is effectively the floor for my setup. I am trying to make sure, as much as possible, that my solution is both affordable, and hopefully right "below" the AP baseline. The EMU0404 did...
  20. R

I am trying to understand why this device was designed with such hostile input impedance specs and am not coming up with much. A buffer input stage can pretty easily be designed with pristine specs and very little would be lost - if anything - by adding that at its front end. While a lot...
Top Bottom