Search results

1. phoenixdogfan

Project ImpulciferA12 -- create a Realiser A16 like device

No have not compared. I continue to enjoy my 24 channel studio capture of D&D 8C's on my A16. I upmix any 5.1/7.1 content to Auro 3D, but the Impulcifier would be good to have if Smyth should cease being a continuing operation.
  2. phoenixdogfan

heart condition

Sounds like you may have had a bit of a setback. It would probably be best to go and get yourself checked out. In the states, we go directly to Emergency. If you can do that, it might be best. Probably you just overextended, but it's best to be certain. Good luck, and get well.
  3. phoenixdogfan

KZ Castor Harman Target IEM Review

Many better even in this price range. Thanks for the review, Amir.
  4. phoenixdogfan

Project ImpulciferA12 -- create a Realiser A16 like device

As an A16 owner, I think this would be interesting, especially if you could figure out a way of translating already existing A16 captures (PRIRs), so they could be reused with this device.
  5. phoenixdogfan

USound target curve for IEMs

I'm using Oratory's target with my Crinacle Reds. It seems more like what I want. The Harman tends to bleach out male vocals with that scoop, and the pinnae gain is too high, so I always wind up dialing it back on Harman tuned sets, so Oratory may have something here.
  6. phoenixdogfan

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

I think if someone write a gui for this the way someone wrote the PEACE gui for EQ APO, it will truly be a boon. But still won't have Dirac, like miniDSP.
  7. phoenixdogfan

Unpopular Opinions in Music

Taylor Swift of course. It seems like she never has a song where she sings a complete melody. It's more like one staccato eight syllable burst piled on top of another. It's almost like some kiss off rant where her next line is always something like "and another thing" and then she just goes...
  8. phoenixdogfan

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

Just received a new email from Octo. Apparently they have developed a free DSP (Linux based? command line interface) that works with their newly released 1.6 firmware. It's on github. N "AVDSP project adds DSP support to dac8 PRO and Stereo Our friend and longtime collaborator, Fabrice...
  9. phoenixdogfan

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM Review

Crinacle published a tuning to give the Blue the tuning of the RED. If you take that tuning, invert every sign and apply it to the RED, it should sound like the Blue, only less distorted. Be sure to apply a preamp adjustment to take overall gain down by an amount greater than the maximum...
  10. phoenixdogfan

heart condition

It sounds like you are improving. Apparently the medicine is improving your exercise tolerance which is a great thing. Very encouraging you can get out and go to the cinema and walk up hills. Hope your progress continues.
  11. phoenixdogfan

Schiit Vidar 2 Stereo Amplifier Review

To me this amp with its weight, measured performance, size, and price feels like it's from another era. I think we've passed unnoticed into the Class D era, and we're just now discovering that designs like the Vidar 2 are obsolete.
  12. phoenixdogfan

New March Audio Ukkonen Speaker

They look stunning. I would probably be a Sointuva customer if I decided to buy anything from March, but I would definitely want them in that color.
  13. phoenixdogfan

Mechano23 Open-source DIY Speaker Review

Some people falsely believe that the way to appear intelligent is to just take the contrarian approach on everything. They're the folks who tell you the Genelec 8351's sound like shit, but that some guy hand building speakers and tuning them by ear somewhere in Moldavia has them beat by a...
  14. phoenixdogfan

Where are the boards placed? Are there stand-offs to elevate them? Screwed in? Are they placed before the cabinet is glued? Any damping?
  15. phoenixdogfan

Madison sells the drivers for the Linkwitz LX-521 along with a kit of pre cut lumber for the cabinets. Something like this one should be an absolute piece of cake for them. Probably a complete kit for around $500-600, though it probably would not be all that hard to just buy a sheet of the...
  16. phoenixdogfan

I didn't know Genelec was offering DIYs. As always, great review, Amir, and a great find as well.
  17. phoenixdogfan

LYNEPAUDIO B049 Audio Switcher Review

This unit makes a solid case for the Little Bear passives.
  18. phoenixdogfan

Need help expanding my 2.1 system into 2.2

As an alternative to a miniDSP unit, you might want to consider a sub which offers both High and Low pass filters. With such a sub, you just send a line level signal from your DAC and/or preamp to the sub, the sub low passes the signal to its own amp, and provides line level out to the amp for...
  19. phoenixdogfan

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, Jeff Buckley, Bob Marley, Christine McVie, Glen Frey, David Crosby, Eva Cassidy, John Lennon, George Harrison, Leonard Cohen, and Chris Squire.
  20. phoenixdogfan

Working too hard can give you a Heart Attack Ack Ack Ack Ack Ack... My Heart Attack Story.

Glad to see you came through this. As someone who has had his own heart issues, I'd urge you to not overlook two things. Apparently you do have weight under control which is great, so you have a big head start there. The other things I would urge are to make sure you're getting enough quality...
Top Bottom