Search results

1. L

Need some recommendations for new home office

Two options IMO. 1. Buy Dirac Live. Your room is going to sound terrible with the current plan as drawn. At least Dirac can cut the peaks. Not much you can do about the nulls. 2. Setup your speakers for nearfield listening and sit at the desk when you want optimum performance. The two chairs...
  2. L

Dynaudio Focus 10 active speakers (Stereophile review)

This was an informative review about the various parts inside the Focus 10. https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/dynaudio-focus-10-active-loudspeaker-review-r1155/
  3. L

2000-3000$ Budget for new studio monitors

If you want to try out something not on your list that is great for translation, try Amphion One15s or One18s. I went from Neumann KH120S to Amphion One15s and found them easier to work on (could hear more clearly adjustments to eq and especially compression) and better translation. Whatever...
  4. L

ATC speakers / Monitors

Neumanns biggest innovation in speakers was to acquire Klein&Hummel. Since then I call Neumanns monitors incremental refinements rather than innovations. Perhaps their room correction software could be considered an innovation. It’s also been delayed and the software somewhat problematic in...
  5. L

Studio Monitors for now until the end

If you don’t buy MA1 you will need to buy Dirac Live anyway to have room correction. IMO it is essential.
  6. L

Please sell me on "ruler flat" near field monitors.

Start off by adding Dirac live to your current monitors and see how that improves things for you. Even if you subsequently decide to update your monitors, you will need room correction so it’s not going to be a waste of money. I think you will find a massive improvement just with that...
  7. L

New Amphion One25a Active monitors

But none of those arguments make the Amphions “intensely overpriced”. They are just reasons why one might like Genelec better.
  8. L

New Amphion One25a Active monitors

22Hz at -3dB, 910W of amplifier, soffit mountable, no electronics in the box. How is that intensely overpriced? I don’t see too many other monitors in that price range can be soffit mounted. There’s not too many at that price going down to 22hz at -3dB.
  9. L

ATC speakers / Monitors

You often see it in mastering studios that have tiny desks with specially shaped outboard gear racks. But yeah meterbridge nearfields on a big desk cause issues.
  10. L

ATC speakers / Monitors

Nobody said a room corrects directivity problems. But certain listening setups can certainly remove them from audibility. For example, listening on axis, in nearfield in a treated room can do that. Listening on axis outside can do that too. If you’ve ever experienced the sweet spot on a pair...
  11. L

ATC speakers / Monitors

Exactly. And treating reflection points and/or monitoring nearfield should reduce audible directivity errors, if there are any, further.
  12. L

ATC speakers / Monitors

Room treatment can alleviate directivity issues. I don’t believe room treatment will improve distortion issues.
  13. L

ATC speakers / Monitors

Yes, but can’t room modes be predicted? Why are they left out? Or are there too many variables? Anyway I think PIR curves lead to wildly inflated expectations
  14. L

ATC speakers / Monitors

^the room is a major impact on speaker response. I’m always slightly amused when I see the Predicted In Room frequency response in reviews here. Like sure, in a room with a shed load of acoustic treatment and Trinnov or Dirac live and then a bit more EQ perhaps. But in room measurements are...
  15. L

ATC speakers / Monitors

Nope. The toe in on the smaller nearfields is a greater angle than the ATCs at midfield. The focal point for the nearfields is for his seated position. The focal point for the midfields is a few metres further back and slightly lower where there is a sofa. It’s his home studio.
  16. L

ATC speakers / Monitors

It’s not designed only for living rooms. from their website… “We designed the Kii THREE with the acoustical challenges of todays studio setups in mind.”
  17. L

$10K budget for no-holds-barred bookshelf system...

^unfortunately my wife wouldn’t let my Neumann KH120s into the lounge room after they were replaced in my studio. Too grey and metal for her. Kef we’re ruled out too. Seems I’m stuck with timber veneers in the lounge room. I foresee Dynaudio Focus 10 or 30s in my future one day. She isn’t a...
  18. L

They wouldn’t be top of my list. I prefer my active XD20s or Focus 10s which both measure better. But some like the solid bass and rolled off highs of the Special 40s along with its high WAF.
  19. L

Maybe they want to listen to music on their speakers rather than just measure them. Some people like to do that ;-)
Top Bottom