Search results

1. G

New EX MACHINA ARCTURUS 3-WAY ACTIVE STUDIO MONITORS

Let's just say I'd make it a mandatory requirement to run an electrical transfer function of the FIR filter, before I'd send it to an amp & speaker. Levels can be tricky using trace arithmetic and impulse inversions......but that may just be my lack of practice with REW.
  2. G

I've only played with using REW as a FIR generator briefly, and in the past... https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/rew-as-fir-generator-experiments.349880/ As I remember, the key was setting Left and Right width times to correctly reflect desired sample counts in "IR Windows". So it just...
  3. G

Anything wrong with linear phase through the bass roll off?

Funny, thx ! Cause I didn't remember that at all :oops: I have such a bad memory. Many times, I'll search about some audio question that comes to mind....and be reading an answer I find...... and say to self, wow this is exactly what I was looking for..... and then find I wrote the damn...
  4. G

Ah good, glad to see you came to the same conclusion about the need to cascade IIR, if wanting to use global phase correction. I don't work with IIR much, and it's nice to see some corroboration. I agree with your first three conclusions. I'm not sure i fully understand the fourth. By...
  5. G

That's how I'm thinking too....that GD only has meaning at LF rolloff. So i just try to keep that as low as possible without going nuts.
  6. G

Yeah, for sure. I think many folks have thought first order designs, be they full-rangers with limited freq extensions on both ends, or multi-ways with xovers having the least phase rotation possible... .....often have an especially nice sound.
  7. G

Well, in the case of the 8C I'd say the large group delay is more of an issue that can't be dealt with, than one D&D didn't bother with. I say can't be dealt with, given the acoustic design and the limited amount of displacement 2x8" woofers provide for the bottom end. To get them down to 30Hz...
  8. G

I dunno. I don't try much to ascertain why most companies do what they do. You may be right. My guess is that it is more about latency than anything else, certainly so in the prosound world. In the home audio world, my guess is it's more about audio-phoolia and anti-dsp for classic stereo...
  9. G

Hi, I think that work practice has the best chance of making both methods give the same results. As both key on the first all important step of flattening each driver's mag and phase response with minimum phase filters. And I agree strongly that delays should be based on acoustic offsets. I...
  10. G

Highly recommend SynAud Cons articles on FIR: https://www.prosoundtraining.com/2013/09/06/fir-ward-thinking-fir-filters-audio-systems/ https://www.prosoundtraining.com/2013/09/27/fir-ward-thinking-part-2/ Here's a snip from part3 of that series, which can be found at...
  11. G

You bet, glad it made sense. In 1D space, pure electrical space, there shouldn't be any difference between a linear-phase xover, and the same IIR xover phase-linearized via FIR inverse allpass. If someone builds a FIR file that does nothing more than linearize the IIR xover phase rotation...
  12. G

Constant Beamwidth Transducer (CBT) Speakers

I thought CBT's are more about mitigating floor reflections, than ones from the ceiling...
  13. G

I dunno ....about not being able to hear bottom-end group delay. The prevailing opinion seems to be sealed subs sound better than vented, due to their lower order roll-off. I think most of that opinion is probably formed for wrong reasons, mainly due to the difficulty of actually getting...
  14. G

@TimVG, here's paper by Jim Griffon you might find helpful. https://audioroundtable.com/misc/nflawp.pdf I have a spreadsheet shading calculator somewhere, on some damn hard drive. If I can find it, will post
  15. G

I've studied, set subs and speakers up, measured, then listened .. ....to this issue of system high-pass ...probably more than any other single FIR phenom. A few quick observations about system high pass.... 1. Measurements can look a hell of a lot worse than they sound....both group delay for...
  16. G

Electrostatic speakers?

Thanks for a gracious reply. My apologies too, if i came on too strong... cheers indeed !
  17. G

Electrostatic speakers?

You presume too much Newman. You have no idea how many concurrent systems I keep running, systems that are quite different in how they interact with the room/environment, and how they sound. I value both objective and subjective. I value both blind and sighted listening. I love audio. I do...
  18. G

Thank ya Keith_W, 1a. For sound? Not really. The little TC-9s I used, have a mounting flange only about 3-4mm thick. Even 20kHz waves can bend around that. Besides they can't begin to play that high anyway. If diffraction is a concern, I think I'd rather have felt stips running along side the...
  19. G

Thanks Newman. And yep, I agree with your comments. The issue with any line is always c2c spacing between elements. (and i think for any dang speaker really) I think a killer CBT needs a line of low freq drivers, with sufficient summed driver displacement to cover the bottom end f-3 to target...
  20. G

Electrostatic speakers?

No sir, a million miles away from an acid test.... Those preference "scores" are simply means of statistical distributions from the population of folks involved. Even if those scores, for that limited population, are dead on accurate for preferences of the whole world...... ....does that mean...
Top Bottom