Search results

1. J

Fosi v3 Mono | TPA3255 PFFB | Balanced | [First Look from Fosi FB]

Not a fan of external power supplies. I'd solder in a connection if I ever bought one. The other problem is they're using NE5532 op amps which were the best on the market in 1980. But it is 45 years later. Those are rather bright sounding by today's standards. What's up with that? External...
  2. J

Topping D50 III Balanced DAC with EQ Review

I bought the predecessor to this model from China and it promptly failed after 3 months. The cost to send it back for service was almost equal to the cost of the DAC. So I strongly encourage everyone to purchase this from a within country dealer who provides warranty service.
  3. J

Proposal: Right to Fair Review (RFR) Association

I am in the medical device industry. There is a company famous for suing its customers to enforce rarely read supplier contracts and as well sues other companies and earns most of it's money that way. They purchased a very famous speaker company thinking they'd get into home patient monitoring...
  4. J

3E Audio 260-2-29A : TPA3255 / HA3588 CoilCraft / PFFB Fully differential.

I've bought quite a bit of stuff from aliexpress with no issues. Larger items take a while to ship (2 weeks) smaller take less. My 3Es have not failed yet.
  5. J

Would someone care to interprate Amir's measurements/reviews here? Revel v Wharfedale.

I merely mean't what it sounds like. Like there's a sheet of plastic in front of me when I'm listening that makes things sound "reproduced" and less natural. Apologies for not being more explicit.
  6. J

3e audio TPA3255 260-2-29A Amplifier Review

Search Preamp DIY kit on amazon - many tube and solid state options (NE5532 for instance, a very old but standard high end op amp that is a bit hard sounding compared to the latest from burr brown). I'm not a fan and prefer a separate preamp. But - try the potentiometer first! That's your...
  7. J

Not recommended. You'd have to put a potentiometer in series with the signal which would significantly increase the source impedance to the amp causing a degradation in the signal distortion and noise. You need a preamp in front of this. The only way to use the op amps is if they have...
  8. J

3E Audio 260-2-29A : TPA3255 / HA3588 CoilCraft / PFFB Fully differential.

For my amps I bought silver coated multi conductor copper wire and crimped the JST connectors on and soldered the other ends onto the XLR connector. You can buy the JST and the wire at Digikey. But you do have to have a rather expensive crimping tool. Sometimes you can find them on ebay.
  9. J

I've recently completed a build of the 3E audio and the Sylph audio version of the TPA3255 mono amp. I have to say I prefer the heatsink on the 3E audio. But can anybody explain why the op amps on the Sylph audio version get so hot? Are they biasing them in class A or something? Need to break in...
  10. J

Do not connect this to your tpa. You want a unipolar power supply 48V for instance. Ground goes to the "-" sign and 48V goes to the "+" connector. The speaker outputs should have no connection to ground (they are differential with respect to each other and are both somewhere between 0 and 48V -...
  11. J

Best Passive loudspeaker designs!

Harbeth should be on any list
  12. J

First time using a DAC - sounded like sh1te

Dumb question, depending on the player being used. Is the volume setting on the player at 100%? Is the "soundcard" set to no volume control on the output so that the DAC is receiving the full dynamic range?
  13. J

Would someone care to interprate Amir's measurements/reviews here? Revel v Wharfedale.

For me, it is all about transparency. I can handle a frequency aberration here and there like an hf rolloff. But the sound has to be transparent so it doesn't sound like I'm listening to plastic or metal influencing the sound. Unfortunately you can only sort this out through listening to them...
  14. J

Topping LA90 Discrete Amplifier Review

I believe they have a problem with the link between the power supply and the amp. The wire is too long and the quality of the wire is probably not good (a guess).
  15. J

Audiophiles, generally don't like class D amps!

The exact same thoughts we're running through my head when I started listening to these amps! This is the end of all those other technologies.
  16. J

Topping LA90 Discrete Amplifier Review

The specs may be great, I ordered one (with possibility of return fortunately) and the amp had no transparency at all (yes I broke it in for 24 hrs). Made my class D Hypex nc400s sound fantastic. Not a believer. Just sounds... meh.
  17. J

And in my opinion, the sound is fantastic (E3 version right now, building some Sylphs to compare). The detail and high frequency information and the roundness and tunefullness of the lower midrange and upper bass. Very impressive. Like a killer app. I have fairly sensitive spekers (89db I...
  18. J

Which TPA3255 amp do you recommend?

I know this post was made a while ago. But there is no ionizing radiation involved with Electro-magnetic emissions. Heat generation is the only concern and yes IF it's at microwave frequencies - then there's a problem. But all the way up through 100 mHz there is absolutely no effect on...
  19. J

Waking up an old thread - I find it is not the case that audiophiles don't like Class D. In fact they get good reviews. I switched from Tube to Class D because Class D sounds the most like tubes to me. The rise time, or the ability to drive a load at high frequency seems to be similar so I hear...
Top Bottom