Search results

1. N

DAC w/ preamp function that supports 2.1?

I use a multichannel audio interface (Focusrite Clarett 4Pre) and a DAW (Ableton Live) which came free with my Clarett to process signal from my SPDIF streamer. In Ableton Live, I apply simple digital EQs to 3 output channels - one to sum the Left and Right channels for my subwoofer and second...
  2. N

Time aligning subwoofer after applying FIR to mains?

I did not but it worked like a charm. Thanks!
  3. N

@ernestcarl Thank you for the detailed response. Am I understanding the workflow correctly? 1) Take measurements for all 3 channels with a timing reference; L/R mains will have FIR filter active during the measurements while the subwoofer channel is unprocessed (i.e., no FIR). 2) Overlay the...
  4. N

I'm just trying this out for fun to see if I like the results. I have a multichannel audio interface that is connected to a DAW (Ableton Live). For the channels outputting to my main L/R channels, I'm applying a FIR filter (that I manually generated using REW and rePhase) with LAConvolver...
  5. N

Amir's subjective speaker rankings

As far as I can tell, Amir’s favorite speaker is his own - Revel Salon 2. Of the speakers he’s reviewed off of my head - some of the following received glowing subjective remarks: Revel 228Be, Genelec 8651, KEF LS50 meta, JBL 4309 and several others.
  6. N

Audiofools turned objectivists or vice-versa?

What ASR has taught me is that everyone is being subjective until you have DBT or measurements to back your statement.
  7. N

Apple Music PEQ/REQ

For those of you planning to switch to Apple Music, how will you apply PEQ/REQ?
  8. N

MQA Deep Dive - I published music on tidal to test MQA

I could see the first part being true for hardware manufacturers as they don’t have as much leverage as Tidal or record labels. Although it depends on what you define as substantial. Second part sounds iffy especially the per track fees. That would create unlimited risk for software companies...
  9. N

OK that makes sense now. Doing a little reading, it sounds like the rendering step is an upsampling step not unlike what izotope src does in Audirvana. Little some experimentation, perhaps one could get close to the fully rendered MQA signal with Audirvana while being able to PEQ/REQ.
  10. N

People keep saying that you can't EQ MQA streams but I haven't had any issues using various PEQ/REQ methods. Are the EQ issues a thing if you have an MQA DAC (which I don't have)? I only do 1st unfolding using Audirvana or Tidal apps.
  11. N

Did you forget to "/s"? I can't tell. Are you saying MQA offers no perceivable sonic benefits yet you were strung out over not getting MQA streamed to your Auralic? Also seems weird that you are perfectly happy with Qobuz but dissatisfied with Tidal because the MQA light didn’t go on. Not...
  12. N

DAW could do record streamed music in real time. That’s probably how most people are analyzing MQA files. There is at least one media file downloader although I’m not sure of its legality.
  13. N

Not a fan of Jim Austin but that's not close to what he said.
  14. N

Is there evidence that MQA is getting any substantial royalties for licensing its product? I read on APS awhile back that MQA is likely giving its license for essentially free in order to gain market share. Given how they are bleeding money and desperately need a large streaming service to...
  15. N

Can the labels really force MQA on everyone if Apple is not onboard. And why would they? They can outlast everyone else in the streaming game. I’m switching to Apple Music the moment their library is converted to lossless. It’s cheaper and the apps are way better than Qobuz.
  16. N

When MQA first came out, I used get weird stuttering/artifact issues when applying PEQ/REQ to MQA streams. More recently, I haven't had any issues applying PEQ/REQ using Audirvana, BruteFIR, etc. Is this not everyone's experience?
  17. N

Assuming his decoder reads on MQA's GB patents, his activity should not be considered illegal. European patent law typically limits patent infringement to commercial activities (e.g., selling the decoder). It would be a different matter here in the U.S. where infringement could also extend to...
  18. N

Blind test: we have a volunteer!!!

Transparency is the best policy.
  19. N

Actually my point was that MQA wouldn't be a party to DMCA dispute as they don't own the music rights. They can only be a party to any patent disputes.
  20. N

IF MQA or Bob Stuart reached out to someone at Tidal or your publisher to take down the files, I doubt it would be to the guy who responds to emails/calls.
Top Bottom