Search results

1. Dunring

Best Sounding Budget Closed Back With EQ

The best value is the Hyperx Cloud Orbit S if you can get a pair used for under $150USD (100mm planar magnetic drivers by Audeze). The AKG K371 wired is terrific, not the wireless version, those are tuned for battery life. The new Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro X are good if you EQ them, they have...
  2. Dunring

Connecting DAC with PC via 30-50ft long USB Cables

Corning makes an optical USB cable in long lengths. It doesn't transmit power of course, only data. Archimago did a big article and measurements on it. https://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/05/measurements-corning-usb-3-optical.html It's not cheap, but might be better than other options.
  3. Dunring

Headphones recommendations please... UK based, £150 or less ideally

If open back, I have the Thieaudio Ghost and they really sound great, and price is a bargain. Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X are fun and comfortable, for closed back the AKG K371 wired, or just got the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro X limited and it's a good pick also.
  4. Dunring

Need acoustic consultant recommendations

I've used Quietrock, it's a sound absorbing drywall that absorbs 7 times more sound than regular drywall. Holmes on Holmes did an episode and had an expert measure it. They have it at places like Home Depot.
  5. Dunring

SMSL DS100

On Amazon you can get a used with warranty SMSL C200 for $109 and it's better in every way. I have two of them and as a DAC it's great to have the amp function as a backup plan in case an amplifier fails, least you have something ready to go.
  6. Dunring

Are more expensive DACs, e.g. from S.M.S.L., equipped with higher quality, more durable components?

I buy about $6k a month in audio equipment. The failure rate of all stuff is around 1 percent and out of all the SMSL and Topping stuff I've bought over the years, there's no one that stands out. Some models like the Drop THX789 are known to fail frequently, but haven't seen any brand that's...
  7. Dunring

6XX vs Sundara or Any Advice

I second the above. Just got a Thiaudio Ghost and it sounds great and competes with the Sennheiser at 1/3 the price. Same feel and weight too, and under $150.
  8. Dunring

External DAC with Integrated Amp

It mentions that has Bluetooth for an input, which would need a DAC chip. For the cable inputs, it would go by an analog signal from your external DAC. Some other models like from SMSL has that feature, but the DAC portion only works on the Bluetooth input.
  9. Dunring

SMSL D-6s Balanced DAC Review

Just got another D-6s and it's the perfect size for the Drop SMSL HO150X amplifier. They sound amazing and going to keep this pair as a daily driver. Using a Youkamoo 4.4mm to XLR adapter, and has all the inputs and outputs I need for when new stuff arrives and have to test for functionality.
  10. Dunring

Thoughts on Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 4

I've had the line and they're well balanced and the bass is detailed and not artificial like the Sony equivalents. I just had the Momentum 4 headphones recently and would get them again too. Sennheiser warranty is 2 years so I'd buy direct from them or their Amazon official store. Out of...
  11. Dunring

Did I make the right choice with the SMSL C200?

I have two of them, and output is the same on both driver or native. Check in the driver control panel and see if the volume level in there is reduced on the output tab. That would explain it. The balanced is going to be about 4db louder than RCA out. The other is when you switch between line...
  12. Dunring

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

Got some solid bargains this time from several different places. In the eBay app, they have an offer 15 percent off their new online gift cards. Capitol One has 4 percent off eBay and 3 percent off Aliexpress. For Aliexpress, there's a 2024 calendar for the upcoming big sales (there's 4 major...
  13. Dunring

Where Next - Sennheiser HD650/Topping DX7pro?

The HD650 is so good already, my favorite is the Hifiman Arya Stealth and your DX7Pro can power them fine. Open box or refurbished direct from Hifiman will save a lot, and if you like them on Facebook they extend the warranty to 18 months on anything. You can equalize more bass easily on them...
  14. Dunring

Some questions about the S.M.S.L DO300EX (AK4499)

There was a response and chart about it here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-sound-color-differences.51303/ I have one and it's a great DAC, the amp is good for IEMs or less demanding headphones though. I added an SMSL/Drop HO150x amplifier and it's just amazing...
  15. Dunring

New Sennheiser HD 620S

Closed back with pleather/leather pads usually make the bass lose resolution or sound boomy. Not going to rush and pre-order this time, will wait for some hands on reviews. Just got the DT770 Pro X limited and it's pretty good, just not as good as I was expecting, the DT900 Pro X was really nice...
  16. Dunring

USB DAC with optical output and RCA output

I use a Syba Sonic for testing DAC inputs, the amplifier is useless (weak, high noise floor) but it will output to RCA and optical and performance is pretty normal as a DAC only. Used for $24 it's got RCA, Optical, and Coax out...
  17. Dunring

Just bought myself the SMSL DL200 DAC...

Those are really good, it's a 5 volt DAC as well, and the remote is handy. The headphone amp has really decent power too. I've run the Topping A70Pro and A90d sitting on top of it, so it'll fit a full size amp on it if you need more someday. There is a faint tick when switching bit rates...
  18. Dunring

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

Just got another pair, tried several of the autoeq presets just to revisit them. I'm sticking with Amirm's settings but without the big bass boost to use for both gaming and music. Not that bad to power well, tried first with the SMSL C200 and it was ok, but using it as a DAC and kicking in the...
  19. Dunring

Connect an additional 2nd DAC

I keep Topping, SMSL, and sometimes Gustard drivers on the same system all the time. The only clashes I've had is with multiple control panels running. If you go to Windows startup programs and uncheck the control panels, won't have any problems installing more than one USB driver.
  20. Dunring

Do I need an additional amp for my phones?

The way to check if you have enough power is easy. Install APO and Peace front end. Pick Autoeq from Peace and choose your headphones for a preset for it. If you can still get them loud enough, your good. Those always have a good preamp reduction so I use that to determine if there's enough...
Top Bottom