Search results

1. B

Introducing Hang Loose Convolver from Accurate Sound

Thanks for the info. I did look at the audiolense convolver, but as far as i understand it only works with filters from audiolense. I demoed audiolense, but it can’t implement the dual sub config that I have. If the audiolense convolver does now support wav filters I would be happy to give it a...
  2. B

Introducing Hang Loose Convolver from Accurate Sound

Hi Mitch, I would be interested in a multichannel version of HLC. I am after a zero latency convolver for use with my active speakers, multi-sub, multi channel setup. My system has 30 acourate filters. It works with Jriver WDM driver for netflix etc, but I am after a solution for playback of an...
  3. B

Major issues with Tesla Model 3

High voltage DC interconnects lose about 3% per 1000km. So long connections are no longer such a problem. The reason DC (enabled by inverters able to convert to high voltage back to dc) loses less power than AC is that 50/60Hz AC loses energy as electromagnetic radiation, whereas dc doesn’t
  4. B

Major issues with Tesla Model 3

I think using solar to make chemical fuels (hydrogen, hydrocarbons and ammonia for industry) will be significant once they can achieve large scale. After all its hard to see aircraft becoming electric. One main advantage of chemical fuels is that the aircraft loses mass as it burns fuel, and is...
  5. B

Which Word Do You Hear?

I’m pretty sure the idea is to click play sample, then for each sample click the button for rising or falling pitch (like music notation)
  6. B

Which Word Do You Hear?

Yep obertonhorer and heard yanny
  7. B

Which Word Do You Hear?

The brain also processes music very differently to speech. The are several brain disorders/injuries which has affected speech ability and recognition but not music/singing. The researchers are yet to get a full understanding yet
  8. B

Which Word Do You Hear?

I get Yanny strongly. On the nytimes slider I have to move it all the way to the left to hear laurel. Then my brain has hysteresis, as I have to move it to the centre to hear Yanny again. It would be interesting to correlate these results with speaker preference.
  9. B

Ultimate foo

Myself I prefer a kinematic mount Infinite angle adjustment - hence tweakability :P Maybe they need a rebranding
  10. B

BACCH4Mac Pro Edition: a report

If you don’t have the head tracking, how far can you move your head before the enhanced imaging is lost? Following on, to try the system without a significant investment (and having to use a Mac), what would be the price for a set of the in ear microphones and a set of filters generated?
  11. B

What makes someone believe or reject information?

Government should also take advice from independent government labs. But politicians tend not to believe government scientists, as their advice is not consistent with their policy. Bureaucrats then hire consultants to tell them what they want to hear
  12. B

Holy Fanboy! Beats the Schiit ......

The goal is apparently to beat the average of a fatality per 8 million km driven.
  13. B

Scientists and Engineers

Engineers work (trained) to use standards. Scientists don’t (aren’t trained with standards). I think this explains a lot of the difference in approach to problems and thinking.
  14. B

Our perception of audio

The p-test has caused manu problems in medical and psychology research - like 60% of studies not being reproducible. The main problem (apart from p-hacking) is that from a small random sample of a population you can get any p value. The expectation value gives much more insight into your...
  15. B

Our perception of audio

One of the original motivations for Kahneman and Traversky’s research was the observation that professional statisticians didn’t seem to have an intuition for statistics
  16. B

Can you hear silent video?

Check out this recent article on New Scientist bit.ly/2GMeQp3 Anyone hear anything?
  17. B

Card carrying objectivists

A few comments: Not everyone agrees that an anechoic chamber is bad for music. I think the BACCH author thinks an anechoic chamber is the target. I have been in an anechoic chamber, but didn’t get to listen to music. Acourate has a metric called IACC - interaural coherence coefficient. This is...
  18. B

Economics - Real-life 'Trickle-down' Fail

In the podcast I linked, Jordan Peterson (a clinical psychologist) asked the question as to whether the cold war was a competition between two arbitrary ways of organising a society. He came to the conclusion that individual sovreignty is critical to self-preservation. In contrast in a communist...
  19. B

Economics - Real-life 'Trickle-down' Fail

Apparently Richard Nixon actually had a universal basic income passed through congress. It was blocked in the senate by the democrats as they didn't think it was generous enough. Note that a universal basic income has some fundamental differences to welfare, as it applies to everyone, social...
  20. B

Ultrasonic IMD weapon used in Cuba????

As far as I’m aware the Smithsonian uses a similar technique for spatially specific audio descriptions of exhibits. Ultrasound beams interfere in the ear with a beat signal that is audible in the spot where the beams cross
Top Bottom