Search results

1. M

TAD R1 and JBL Everest DD66000 found at a dump after a flood

All good - thanks for your thoughts. Yeah - disaster bingo is about right really, and I agree if we can walk away we are lucky ..... I visited a local friend of a friend to hear some MBLs yesterday - turns out he was caught up in a powerline triggered wildfire a few years back - add an...
  2. M

I had a pair of B&W800D3 as well - they were upstairs so survived and I use those currently. They would not have been my first choice as the survivor, but I do enjoy listening to them despite their acknowledged character. I bought a pair of Benchmark AHB2s and a Tambaqui dac (yeah I know ....)...
  3. M

Hello - a year on. Well it's interesting what we find on the forum - I came across this today. Last year when this was posted - I was rather diverted as you'll realise below. This was my kit - and it was not at the dump at the stage of the photo - it was on my front lawn in fact. Just for...
  4. M

Pros/Cons Of Neurochrome 686 vs Purifi EVAL1 Builds

Interesting about the NC400 mods - are these documented somewhere please? thanks
  5. M

AB(x) testing of Power Amplifiers

Was the test blind? Likely there is such big differences between the amps that this doesn't matter. An easy way to make the test blind (to most intents and purposes) is to use a rotary 12 way switch and connect every second pole to close the relay. Spin the switch with you eyes closed to a...
  6. M

speaker cable listening comparator

Well that wasn't too hard - a length of lighting wire gave me 63mohm - near enough. With this duly placed in series with the low resistance cable to match the planar cable resistance - I couldn't tell any difference between the cables at all. I ran a quick sample measure and the voltage at the...
  7. M

Ok - fair enough - it is still set up - all I need to find is a couple of 60mohm resistors..... might have to think a bit to find or make those., M
  8. M

Well that's what I was trying to check. In the past I've believed I could hear differences between cables but many here tell me this must be proven to make any such claim. Hence the test. To my surprise actually we could reliably note a very small difference. I made some measurements - and...
  9. M

We listened to try to tell one cable from another. As it happened we preferred the sound of one of them - we felt there was a little more "going on / slightly wider soundstage". This wasn't the object, just an outcome. We had no idea which was which at the time. Differences were only just...
  10. M

Hmmm.... I'm not really trying to prove anything to anyone except myself, or take this to the nth degree. I posted my listening views about a certain $$ cable that has been subject to a lot of discussion here (now closed) recently. I thought I owed it to myself at least to confirm these...
  11. M

Dan D’Agostino on measurements

It's almost embarrassing to comment - we are both super lucky at least. Last I looked Taiwan had stunning management as well.
  12. M

I've built a cable comparator. It's a bit basic but seems to be effective. I'd be interested in views of the concept. I run the two speaker cables for comparison from each channel of a stereop amplifier. Both cables connect to a box at the speaker. In the box there is a two pole change over...
  13. M

Kiwi actually - fellow Austalasian
  14. M

Fair enough - I guess if I was to try this I'd need to be able to trim input levels accurately - many preamps these days don't go better than 0.5dB/step so that adds complication. Beyond that we need two independent level adjusted outputs from the preamp or to be able to direct the signal to...
  15. M

TAD CR1

I started with the original Devialet amplifier, later with TADs own C600/M600. Also Halcro DM88s and CH Precision L1. I don't listen to classical so comments really relate to other genres. Though incredibly clear, in my room there seemed to be a slight leanness to the sound and perhaps a...
  16. M

TAD CR1

I agree they are in the top group. The differences I felt were mainly big speaker vs small speaker differences - authority, bass extension, slam. On the other hand they are big and I was listening fairly close ~3m - at this distance they are feel a bit intimidating. I thought they might be end...
  17. M

TAD CR1

I owned a pair, and later the Ref 1s (they still reside locally and I get to hear them now and then). I've only listened to Genelecs at shows. All I can comment is personal preference and any time I do that here I'm politely informed it is of little value without level matched a/b testing. So...
  18. M

Fair enough. Blind and level matched (within say 0.1dB) pretty much requires special equipment. So few I expect do this. But nevertheless when evaluating a new purchase I guess most do their best to avoid bias. Perhaps we kid ourselves. In my case I wanted to like the amps in comparison to...
  19. M

Anmpr1 says "Dan (and others like him) have to tout the 'amps have magic in them' line. It's how they pay the bills. Does he believe it? Deep down inside? Who knows? Can he prove it with levels matched and brands hidden? We know the answer to that, already " Maybe, but maybe not too. Maybe...
  20. M

Well I try to contribute my views as personal. Of course it was done ears only. At home it was ears only A/B over a couple of weeks. It's an odd hobby - in the end we listen rather than measure. Yes fair enough the speakers, room and crowd affect the sound. But I thought I heard , but very...
Top Bottom