Search results

1. Keith_W

KEF Blade 2 Meta review by Erin's Audio Corner

This review by Erin has prompted me to make an appointment with the KEF dealer to go and listen. My bank account might suffer because of him!
  2. Keith_W

DSD Direct vs non-DSD Direct: Myth or Turth?

There are some really clever people on ASR! You are right, the charts were reversed and I wrote my entire post interpreting the wrong information. Sorry about that. I will go edit.
  3. Keith_W

DSD Direct vs non-DSD Direct: Myth or Turth?

I have a Merging NADAC. This has an ESS 9008 DAC. I believe that ESS DAC's are natively DSD, and that any PCM is converted to DSD prior to conversion to analog. The premise of HQPlayer is that the PC is better at PCM to DSD conversion than the internal converter on ESS chips. So let's test that...
  4. Keith_W

My first REW measurements(KEF R3 META)

Your new set of measurements looks the same as the previous set that you posted yesterday. You did not tell us what you are trying to measure? The effect of the PEQ? That open door will affect the sound depending on the frequency band. Depending on the size of the door, it may increase the...
  5. Keith_W

DEQX Premate 8 digital active crossover / DSP

I think I explained earlier in this thread where the DEQX Premate fits in the market. It is expensive because the cost of engineering and software has to be amortized over a small production run. Not to mention the after sales support that they advertise prominently. They will not only sell you...
  6. Keith_W

Opinion on Topping SMSL

When I was considering buying a Topping, I expressed concern about reliability to the sales guy whom I knew. He said he has sold dozens of them and none of them have come back. In fact, his shop is part of a chain of audio stores across Australia and collectively they have sold hundreds of them...
  7. Keith_W

Suddenly noticing sibilance

Fixxxxxxxxxxxxed your posssssssssssst for you :)
  8. Keith_W

BACCH4MAC Short Review / first impressions

What is your SACD player outputting? PCM or DSD?
  9. Keith_W

Proximity effect and the psychoacoustically wrong target FR curves

You might be interested in what David Griesinger has to say about proximity - link to PDF. This is in a different context, about why musical instruments sound closer or further away, and it is not about headphones. An interesting observation is that EDT (Early Decay Time) and C80 (Clarity at...
  10. Keith_W

My first REW measurements(KEF R3 META)

May I ask what you are using as a source? If you are using a computer as a source, sending audio to a DAC, you have much more powerful capability to tame that peak and perform other corrections. PEQ's are imprecise by comparison, and should only be used if you have no other choice. It is a quick...
  11. Keith_W

Masimo Corporation (MASI) closes Sound United Acquisition Apr 12

I see that Parkinson's Law applies to lawyers as well. I can add it to my collection of Parkinson's Law examples. Simply stated - demand rises to meet supply. The classic example is "expenditure rises to meet income" or "time dilates to fill a deadline". I have noticed other examples: - The...
  12. Keith_W

Incorporating environmental factors for DRC

The purpose of moving the furniture is not for speaker correction. It is for room correction. These are 2 different things. I do the speaker correction first, and then I do the room correction after that. In other words, mic nearfield first, and then mic at MLP. There are 2 types of "speaker...
  13. Keith_W

BACCH4MAC Short Review / first impressions

Actually, your question made me wonder what the limitations of BACCH4Mac are. I know it can work with any audio that you send through it. The only question is how you are going to get the audio into the Mac, and some type of audio is easier than others. Streaming, local files, and files stored...
  14. Keith_W

The "speed" of ("deeper") bass frequencies in car interiors

DSP in cars has been a thing for many years. Back when it was possible to install your own sound system, I had a fairly rudimentary DSP system in my car. All it allowed me to do was make a crossover and put in a few PEQ's. There was rudimentary time alignment. The DSP did not come with any...
  15. Keith_W

PC speaker and Subwoofer advice

If you want to feel the rumble, it is easier to get it from a bass shaker. Screw it into your chair, hook it up to your PC, and you're done. Huge bass you can feel.
  16. Keith_W

ASR Acourate users

You can try a different convolver. JRiver and Roon have built-in convolvers. I believe Foobar2000, which is free, has a convolver plugin. There's also CamillaDSP, which is free, but with the caveat that it is rather difficult to install and get working. And you can download and try some other...
  17. Keith_W

A Call For Humor!

That is so untrue. I read an article many years ago called "The Economics of Sex". The author basically argued that different expectations between partner preferences for men and women results in a market distortion. In general, men prefer women who are younger. They do not mind if they are less...
  18. Keith_W

Incorporating environmental factors for DRC

I am sorry, I misread your post. If it made sense to me, I wouldn't question it :) What makes sense to me: everything that is present when you are listening should be accounted for. This includes your body and your head, which is why I find the idea of binaural mics attractive. However, my own...
  19. Keith_W

ASR Acourate users

That's a question you should ask Dr. Uli in the Acourate support forum.
  20. Keith_W

Are room acoustics better on smaller speakers?

Hello, and welcome to ASR. As always there are two factors at play here: 1. How low the speakers will go. 2. What room the speakers are in. Both are unknowns at this point because you haven't told us. If your speakers don't produce low bass, then there is no need to deal with bass issues. It...
Top Bottom