Search results for query: waters

1. R

Knives. Knifethread.

I use water stones for plane knives, so I agree about the KMe’s applicability. Rick “whose favorite EDC is an $80 Kershaw Leek with carbon composite scales—not worth getting fired over” Denney
  2. digitalfrost

Knives. Knifethread.

In general all the sharpening options discussed on this page are good. I also own the KME and use it for my pocket knives. Especially if the blade is coated (i.e. you need to very precise with your angle) or the knife uses a "supersteel" you need the diamond stones to make any meaningful cuts...
  3. T

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

i think the thing is these things in use (ie. playing sound) probbly dont use much more power than it on no ssound (ie. idle) so why would you go to the trouble of putting in idle modes and the issues of going in and out of modes to save... what? pennies a quarter? i have an smsl a300 and a...
  4. J

Do measurements bring satisfaction?

Yeah, me too. Just to twist the knife further, he said his colleague worked on Get Back and that he had the opportunity to listen to the original masters of a few songs. He said that other than obvious artifacts like hiss, jitter, and balance; there wasn’t a huge difference in what he works with...
  5. Doodski

Knives. Knifethread.

The present sharpness from the factory will cut paper but it's touch and go and some tearing is occurring. I can visually see the sharpening cut in the steel blade and so I imagine they never went very high in the grit. I am interested in a Work Sharp sharpening system. There is the $100 model...
  6. R

Knives. Knifethread.

Do you want a mirror finish or functional sharpness? I get the latter from a 1500-grit diamond hone. For a true mirror finish, however, it’s water stones of 10,000 grit or above. I use the water stones for wood planes, but the diamond hone is fine for me for EDC knives. Rick “sharp enough to...
  7. O

Do measurements bring satisfaction?

I have never went backwards but I did start over a few times. If I had a system that kept me happy, a review of a speaker would NEVER change what I enjoyed. The comment "Audiophool," is one that people attribute to others. I have never considered myself a FOOL by anyone's standards least of all...
  8. Sal1950

Carver Raven 350 Review (Tube Amp)

That's a bit of a fuzzy statement. I do understand you enjoy playing with gear, and can obviously afford it, that's fine for you. I would like to make a couple alternate comments on your full post. The first is, if you started with that SS amp and some reasonably accurate speakers, you could...
  9. O

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

For whatever it's worth, I did check as I own a once highly revered professional quality audio interface - an EMU 1212M Audio interface, (the M stood for Mastering Grade) and these were a hot item, in the mid noughties, and even today, still quite respectable kit. And these are the...
  10. E

GR Research B24 AC Cable Review: Does it Make an Audible Difference?

Using a fancy power cord like that and expecting better sound is equivalent to pouring a glass of water into the ocean and expecting to see the water level rise.
  11. Petercom

Audio Note speakers

I think it is being over-critical to point to an 'ignorant domestic audiophile market'. You can't expect hi-fi buyers to know it all. Ideally the retailer should help them. But I know what your getting at, I think. Having talked to a lot of hi-fi buyers, it seems they like having the choice of...
  12. DSJR

Audio Note speakers

Peter sir, it's very many decades since you used to visit us with your popular speaker wares of the time, but I think just maybe, you're still catering to a largely ignorant domestic audiophile market. I said in the Harbeth active speaker thread how large the disconnect seems to be betrween...
  13. Oddball

Dirac ART is now running on beta FW for Denon Xx800H AVRs!

Here with AV-10, bunch of amps, 6 towers with 10 inch woofers, and center that digs to 30-ish hz, even Atmos speakers good to 80hz and 4 big subs. Running LFE+main and LFE distribution on Audy. That is what I call a real speaker support in absence or the glorious but absent ART. No need for a...
  14. Rednaxela

Caption this photo.

Water slide park designer seeks career switch.
  15. T

Reviewers should have their hearing tested and post results

Thank you for your response, it is valued! I still think many reviewers past the age of 50 may be more than half deaf… lol… making up numbers as I go
  16. amirm

Reviewers should have their hearing tested and post results

It is admirable that you are asking for some qualification for someone to become an audio reviewer. Alas, the solution you are providing is not going to work. Here is Harman's controlled testing of different groups: Let's agree that the young college students are likely to have the highest...
  17. antcollinet

"Things that cannot be measured"

The link I provided above states:
  18. E

"Things that cannot be measured"

My understanding is that c is given as the speed of light through a vacuum. Sending it through some transparent material (air, clear glass, water) slows it down somewhat for reasons I do not understand. Still though, that is blistering fast!
  19. Andysu

heart condition

oddly my eyesight as improved in last few weeks and i can't explain it , maybe my cardiac nurse can explain when i see her next usually i need specs for close up like laptop to read text which was out of focus or smeared , now i can read it clearly . even middle range glasses for 10 feet or...
Top Bottom