• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sharp may get into production of OLED TVs!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is great news if it comes to pass. Sharp sold its TV/LCD business to contract manufacturer (CM) Foxconn (who builds apple products among tons of others). Looks like they are investing in the brand/company to product OLED displays/TVs. The competition with LG on OLEDs should drive costs down and bring more choices: https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/23/sharp-oled-tv-rumor/

"Now that Sharp is under new ownership by Foxconn, it may have big plans for a return to TV prominence. In a move that could explain a sudden push to recover the use of its name from Hisense, the Japanese company apparently has a plan to add OLED TV production lines at one of its plants next year. The Japan Times reports that at a cost of 57.4 billion yen ($515 million US), it could have production operation at two plants in the spring of 2018. While one would work on small and medium screens for phones (like, maybe a new iPhone?) and laptops, the other would focus on TVs, where LG dominates the segment, producing OLED panels for its own TVs as well as other brands."​

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Interesting. I am on the verge of picking up a new LG 65" OLED (C7) to replace my old 52" LCD (old one goes to older son). LG just had a significant price drop. Samsung is behind bringing out competitive models (their QLED looks promising but is pricey) and Sony is buying OLED panels from LG. Foxconn is also discussing bringing a rather large manufacturing facility to the U.S.A. in 2018 IIRC (though I am not sure it is for panels).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think the Foxconn US manufacturing is due to pressure from Apple to manufacture iphones here which in turn is meant to buy political favors (as to release their overseas funds/profits). It won't be for manufacturing of displays.

Top Bottom