• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VPI (turntables) Visits Pacific Northwest Audiophile Society

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Concerto #21 In C, K. 467: Andante by Seattle Symphony Orchestra. https://shz.am/t56683088
Can't find the exact match:

Lots of track noise in this one. Didn't do much for me on any of the tables.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Soul Of Song by Hans Theessink. https://shz.am/t58261306

Hans is a favorite and his music is exceptionally well recorded. On this track I thought all the turntables sounded thin compared to my recollection of digital.

Avenger was my pick regardless.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The star of the show was a direct to disc lacquer that cost $1,800 to produce and you only get 6 or so plays out of it! So the one time we listened to it cost $300!!!

Gary had introduced Anne Bisson to famous recording engineer, Bernie Grundman and they recorded this upcoming LP in one take. It was a full analog recording although a digital parallel recording was also made (in addition to tape). It was the best fidelity of any music we heard that night. Great vocals and smooth highs. Hissy background noise but otherwise no pops or clicks.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The evening ended with a great dinner at a fantastic Vietnamese restaurant Gary picked at the Seattle International District with Mat, Joe, Rene and Gary. Couldn't be a lovelier day. Deep thanks to the pacific northwest society for putting up this event and all the people who worked hard to bring it to fruition (I am looking at you Jerry).

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The star of the show was a direct to disc lacquer that cost $1,800 to produce and you only get 6 or so plays out of it!

As always, should you or any of your I.M. Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This disc will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck, Jim.

It's not perfect sound forever, is it?

Of course, the dinner probably only got one play, so...

A.wayne

Amir,

Thanks for posting this, looked like a great event and the music info will go along way ..

garylkoh

Technical Expert
Many thanks, Amir for putting this together.

In my introductory remarks, I said that this was a "fashion show" and not a direct A/B/C comparison. I also wanted people to listen to the music, and not just the sound of the 3 systems.

The cartridge on the Vanquish has a 0.12mV output, whereas the other two cartridges have 0.4mV output.

Top Bottom