• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ratings of US Airlines

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
S*CKS = Southwest = S*CKS = Southwest = S*CKS = Southwest = S*CKS.
Soutwest = S*CKS
S*CKS = Southwest

iridium.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Recently flew Southwest (SW), Frontier, United, and American (last minute trip, insanely expensive, multiple carriers). SW is my wife's carrier for her multiple trips a year to see her mom; used to be Frontier until they got bought and slashed the number of flights available. I hate the SW seating model but it worked out mostly OK. One of the United flights was cancelled and their agent got us on an American flight (kudos to the agent who had to go to bat for us with his management who wanted one of us to fly the next day, meaning an unexpected overnight stay for one of us, after ditching the rental car and all that jazz, plus we all had to get to work or school the next day). Frontier and United were both below the quality of experience of the others though this time we were on an older American jet so it also had narrow seats. Seats have shrunk as people get fatter making any air travel these days a real pain, especially when flights are consistently full and overbooked. My wife flew SW last week and had a great return flight, on a Saturday, first time in ages there were a number of open seats so she had room instead of being crammed in the middle. Guess we'll fly more weekends.

A pilot friend of mine years ago talked about the new stretch planes -- remember those adverts? Showing more legroom with the new longer fuselages. He said United crammed more rows of seats in rather than give extra leg room.

I'm about average build, 5'9" (used to be 5'10" but shrinking now), ~165 pounds, not technically overweight, but my shoulders barely fit in any of the seats and unless I am first in the row I can forget using the arm rests. I hate travel. Wish I could afford to upgrade but don't fly enough (though lots of trips recently but all last-minute so can barely afford the normal rate).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yeh, United as always led the way in shrinking seats/seat pitch in the industry. It is a nightmare to fly in coach on anything more than a couple of hours long. Exit row if you can get it though, can provide some relief.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The cheap airlines always get better ratings, people don't expect much from a $59 ticket.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Over the course of a week our tickets went from ~$300/ea to ~$1200/ea while we dithered about whether to go or not as my dad went in and out of the hospital. We were never going to have more than a couple of days' notice so cheap tickets were not an option. The decision was made for us when he passed away and so we paid the highest price possible to attend the funeral, natch. They obviously had the seats, but it was spring break, so gouged we were...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Who I remember flying...

Domestic: Eastern, Piedmont, Delta, Southern, Northwest, Southwest, Delta, United, American

Foreign: Japan Air Lines, Thai, All Nippon Airways

---

"The Boeing 737 series is the best-selling jet commercial airliner in history. The 737 has been continuously manufactured by Boeing since 1967 with 9,448 aircraft delivered and 4,506 orders yet to be fulfilled as of March 2017."

"As of 31 March 2017, a total of 7,528 Airbus A320-family aircraft have been delivered,of which 7,201 are in service. In addition, another 5,547 airliners are on firm order"

Top Bottom