• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stones improve Horsepower and Torque???

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I quite like the way they design the livery , it's the fact the cars can't run behind each other and thusly can't overtake each other very effectively that a issue. It seems even worse this year, that disappointing given the over haul in design that's taken place to ' improve' the spectacle for this year.
Nobody,and I really mean not a single engineer involved in racing who I know, and I know all the well established ones, thought the overhaul would lead to more overtaking. It is a mystery why it went ahead. It is probably the internet spread false information which is leading to enthusiasts embracing total bollox all over the place (it is not only hifi).
It has been put about that "more mechanical grip" will be an aid to overtaking, mainly by drivers as far as I can tell. No data supports this. All simulations have always shown the opposite and, those who pay attention to what is happening rather than verbal diarrhoea in magazines and web sites, will have noticed lots of overtaking in wet races, where the aero disturbance on the following car is similar and the mechanical grip less than half.
There are disappointing parallels in enthusiast opinion now there is so much unsupported bollox being repeated on web fora (forums?)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Nobody,and I really mean not a single engineer involved in racing who I know, and I know all the well established ones, thought the overhaul would lead to more overtaking. It is a mystery why it went ahead. It is probably the internet spread false information which is leading to enthusiasts embracing total bollox all over the place (it is not only hifi).
It has been put about that "more mechanical grip" will be an aid to overtaking, mainly by drivers as far as I can tell. No data supports this. All simulations have always shown the opposite and, those who pay attention to what is happening rather than verbal diarrhoea in magazines and web sites, will have noticed lots of overtaking in wet races, where the aero disturbance on the following car is similar and the mechanical grip less than half.
There are disappointing parallels in enthusiast opinion now there is so much unsupported bollox being repeated on web fora (forums?)
Sorry for talking bollocks Frank :D

The difference between drivers pace in wet conditions tends to be far greater than in the dry, possibly this is a contributing factor in the wet races from a overtaking standpoint.

Also I believe last years China GP holds the record for most overtakes in a race... either way watching a guy race who's 1-2 seconds a lap faster than the guy in front but can't overtake them ( seemed to be the case last weekend in Australia) does not do much for entertainment.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for talking bollocks Frank :D

The difference between drivers pace in wet conditions tends to be far greater than in the dry, possibly this is a contributing factor in the wet races from a overtaking standpoint.

Also I believe last years China GP holds the record for most overtakes in a race... either way watching a guy race who's 1-2 seconds a lap faster than the guy in front but can't overtake them ( seemed to be the case last weekend in Australia) does not do much for entertainment.

The pace between drivers is always exaggerated in slippery conditions whether it is wet, on hard or cold tyres.

It does depend on what entertains you!
The thing is, F1 has always been a formula where the car is the star. Yes drivers get lots of publicity, and there has been a big effort over the last 20 years to make the driver seem more important than he is to the success to grow the viewing figures from 250 thousand nerds like me in the '60s to millions now, many of whom are not interested by the technology at all and have been sold a pup IMO and expect F1 to be something it has never been.
Jackie Stewart was quite right when he said the most important skill a driver needs is to get into the right team.

I quite accept that watching a race where one car is clearly superior in a series where it is difficult to overtake is not entertaining to casual spectators but F1 has always been like that, in fact in some years much more so than now, and more recently the casual spectator has been misled into expecting something which won't happen.

For close racing watch a series where cleverness is penalised and plonkers helped, there are plenty, which do give artificially close racing which is entertaining for some but of absolutely zero interest to nerds like me.
I would hate it if we ruin F1 by making it like most other series (other than Le Mans). Those that don't like F1 can watch shed loads of other car races or, still better, bikes.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Ah OK, can't comment, no knowledge on anything there. Only turn on 1 open wheel race a year, the Indy 500 and that's mainly out of tradition..
If you want to see passing you have to use the chrome horn and put the to bumper to em. ;)

Top Bottom